Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On vacation and can't eat

I'm on day 11 and am still on Protein Shakes and broth. We are in Charleston, SC and so far I'm been doing great. I just tell the people I'm with that I'm not really hungry and I order a cup of hot tea when they have their meals. This evening I went to Justine's Kitchen with them and was standing in line to get in this fabulous restaurant. People were telling my travel mates how delicious the home cooking was and how it was worth the wait etc. For some reason I felt like crying but don't know why. I've been doing great until now. I told them I'd walk back to the hotel because I was feeling tired. When I got to my room I just started crying and thinking "What have I done?" I'm really glad I had the sleeve, but need to know how to handle eating out while on vacation and still on liquids. Any advice?

You are not missing anything at Justines. Greasy southern food, that is all! You will be able to eat again but you have to let your tummy heal. I am 9 days out from surgery and I am on mushies. All docs are different.

I went out to lunch the other day and asked for Soup, it was minestrone, and i asked them to put it through a blender for me. It was no problem. Maybe you can try that?

I'm on day 11 and am still on Protein shakes and broth. We are in Charleston, SC and so far I'm been doing great. I just tell the people I'm with that I'm not really hungry and I order a cup of hot tea when they have their meals. This evening I went to Justine's Kitchen with them and was standing in line to get in this fabulous restaurant. People were telling my travel mates how delicious the home cooking was and how it was worth the wait etc. For some reason I felt like crying but don't know why. I've been doing great until now. I told them I'd walk back to the hotel because I was feeling tired. When I got to my room I just started crying and thinking "What have I done?" I'm really glad I had the sleeve, but need to know how to handle eating out while on vacation and still on liquids. Any advice?

Just remember that you cant eat. Just stay strong you have done the best thing to you! Be healthy be strong think of the long run!

I'm on day 11 and am still on Protein Shakes and broth. We are in Charleston, SC and so far I'm been doing great. I just tell the people I'm with that I'm not really hungry and I order a cup of hot tea when they have their meals. This evening I went to Justine's Kitchen with them and was standing in line to get in this fabulous restaurant. People were telling my travel mates how delicious the home cooking was and how it was worth the wait etc. For some reason I felt like crying but don't know why. I've been doing great until now. I told them I'd walk back to the hotel because I was feeling tired. When I got to my room I just started crying and thinking "What have I done?" I'm really glad I had the sleeve, but need to know how to handle eating out while on vacation and still on liquids. Any advice?

I am so sorry for how you feel today. I know exactly how you feel. My family went to Red Lobster when we were on vacation last year only 5 days after my surgery. I sat in the car and ate my Soup and felt sorry for myself. I just couldn't watch them eat. Just 2 nights ago they went out for pizza and I stayed home and felt sorry for myself. Most of the time I can go with them and have what I'm suppsed to have but sometimes I have eaten what I should for the day and choose not to go with them. I have cried just like you. Overall, I am so happy I had the surgery and wouldn't trade it for the best food on the planet.

When you start seeing the lbs come off it really helps you know that you made the right decision.

I may try having the hotel blenderize a Soup for me. So far I've only had broth and shakes. At 9 days out what mushies can you tolerate? I'm supposed to begin two shakes and 1/2 egg on Tuesday. I am so looking forward to trying the soft cooked egg. My doctor is very big on the Protein shakes. I wonder why doctors are so different. Thanks for the tip on Justine's. The people in line made it sound like heaven.

You are not missing anything at Justines. Greasy southern food, that is all! You will be able to eat again but you have to let your tummy heal. I am 9 days out from surgery and I am on mushies. All docs are different.

I went out to lunch the other day and asked for soup, it was minestrone, and i asked them to put it through a blender for me. It was no problem. Maybe you can try that?

Thanks for the reminder quote " I can do all things..."

I am so sorry for how you feel today. I know exactly how you feel. My family went to Red Lobster when we were on vacation last year only 5 days after my surgery. I sat in the car and ate my Soup and felt sorry for myself. I just couldn't watch them eat. Just 2 nights ago they went out for pizza and I stayed home and felt sorry for myself. Most of the time I can go with them and have what I'm suppsed to have but sometimes I have eaten what I should for the day and choose not to go with them. I have cried just like you. Overall, I am so happy I had the surgery and wouldn't trade it for the best food on the planet.

When you start seeing the lbs come off it really helps you know that you made the right decision.

And this too shall pass.....................................

I tried to stay positive during this phase by telling myself I can have this or that instead of what I could not have. You are in a tougher situation that I was being on vacation. I can promise you this, once the weight starts falling off you will be on such a high that this will only a bump in time!

I would never stay home when others went out to eat. In fact, when my family picked me up from the hospital after surgery, we stopped at TGIFriday's for lunch on the way home. I always took my food along. At first it was powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury mixed with Water. I just asked the waitress for a small glass of room temp Water and mixed it at the table. Later on I took hot chocolate and Soup packets. My first meal ordered after surgery was cottage cheese. Even after surgery I still eat out 5-6 times per week. I usually share a meal or just order an appetizer. For example, last night I went with family to Wendy's. I ordered a small chili and still have enough left for lunch today. I just got home from a week long vacation where we ate out every meal. I struggled to get in my 60 grams of Protein and have to say I didn't make it most days. But I was never hungry.

I would be crying too if I deprived myself of being with friends and family! For me, eating out is more about the social time and less about the food.< /p>

I'm on day 11 and am still on Protein shakes and broth. We are in Charleston, SC and so far I'm been doing great. I just tell the people I'm with that I'm not really hungry and I order a cup of hot tea when they have their meals. This evening I went to Justine's Kitchen with them and was standing in line to get in this fabulous restaurant. People were telling my travel mates how delicious the home cooking was and how it was worth the wait etc. For some reason I felt like crying but don't know why. I've been doing great until now. I told them I'd walk back to the hotel because I was feeling tired. When I got to my room I just started crying and thinking "What have I done?" I'm really glad I had the sleeve, but need to know how to handle eating out while on vacation and still on liquids. Any advice?

I don't think your missing out on anything except a heart attack waiting to happen. . . your missing your old habits and that is all. Nothing weird or anything, your doing fabulous. . . remember this is only temporary and sooner than you want you'll be eating away at whatever you want except it's going to be in small small amounts. . . so don't fret about anything right now. . . you were just having a bit of a pity party with your brain, that's all. So pull up those big girl panties and enjoy your vacation with or without food! Your going to be so much better off with your liquids! by the way, Soups are great! Just slurp the broth and not the food in it, You CAN do it!!!!!! Just think how good you'll feel when everyone is soooooooooooooo damn full and sleepy, and your just bouncy and ready to go. . . .

I feel your pains...

I just spent 3 days away-

continental breakfasts now mean nothing... even the word free...

sugar and starch... YUK!

went to many restaurants and asked for small portion, special deals- like a side of mashed potato- or

cottage cheese? amazing how unhelpful these places were.

last night I finally got a 1/2 bowl of soup- still charged me the full $5.99... they don;t sell cups...

I asked for a shrimp appetizer, they only had prawns, $9.99...

the waiter got the cook to make one- it came with 2 oz. of bay shrimp and not even a garnish or a sauce.. and they charged me full price...

yes- I am a scrooge- noticeably smaller tip.

and was also turned down when I asked for a kids grilled cheese sandwich.

I long for the day when my wife and I can buy an appetizer and split it, and our bill is less than $10.

Wow! That is really hard so soon after surgery. I didn't go out for any type of restaurant meal for at least a month after my surgery. It's just too hard - no need to torture yourself. It does get better and you will be able to eat regular food - just less of it. My first mushies were cottage cheese, yogurt, and mashed sweet potato dressed only with some salt (no marshmallow or brown sugar). Beware, though, that your first real food will fill you up REALLY QUICKLY. Don't get a side of mashed potatoes thinking you will eat the whole thing. Go really slow and don't be surprised if 2 spoonfuls is all you can handle.

I am coming up on 4 months and I still can only eat a tiny bit of an appetizer or I eat a couple of bites off of someone else's plate. My favorite meals out are Asian because most Asian places (Chinese, Thai, Japanese, etc) serve family style. I can pick a couple of bits off the larger serving that everyone is sharing and I don't feel so odd.

But, for now, even that won't help you because you are too close to surgery date. Bring your food in your purse, buy Soup in restaurants and do the best you can.

Take care--

It sounds like you are starting to mourn the loss of your friend (food). And may be having a little pity party because you want things you can't have. I know it's easier said than done, but don't let it get you down. Focus on the long term of what you're gaining.

Are your friends not supportive, or do they not know about your VSG?

You could also try to find things on the menu that meet your restrictions. E.g. if you take the onions out of french onion Soup, it's broth. Same for any broth-based soup, or even au jus.

Chef Neil - wow, sounds like you have been to some extremely inflexible places. I don't ever ask for special deals - the price is the price and if I'm not willing to pay it, then I don't order it (that's just my take, I know others feel differently -- heck, a friend of mine likes to whip out her "I've had bariatric surgery" card and asks if they will discount her meal... usually they do not...) And I prefer not to order off the kid's menu because those are some of the least healthy foods around, usually. But I've never had a hard time ordering an appetizer, or a kid's meal when I have gotten one. If they won't sell you less soup at a lower price than what's on the menu, why not just get the regular soup and have leftovers?

You're able to eat a grilled cheese sandwich less than two weeks post-op? What does your post-op food stage plan look like? (I'm researching VSG and haven't seen a post-op plan that moves that quickly -- I'm interested in knowing more).

You will probably be the only one in your group to lose weight on vacation instead of gain it. ;) It WILL be worth it. Hang in there! You are doing a wonderful job of taking care of yourself.

I am not able to eat a Grilled cheese- I was hoping something soft, other than Soup would go down, and keep the queasy stomach happy.

I have an appointment tomorrow with the surgeon, and maybe the dietician too...

As a chef- and in the customer service business, I am shocked at the restaurants that we visited, uneasiness to help a person with diet concerns.

I don't necessarily think they should discount, however- a bowl of soup for $5.99 when they don't

sell anything smaller is appalling to me. Seriously- soup at pennies per ounce...

My diet concerns are minimal compared to the many I see at work, that need gluten free, vegan etc.

no wonder many people like where I work, to eat... gives me a better perspective, opens my eyes.