Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WHAT THE ...

Normally, I don't eat a lot of bread. Just too much filling and not enough nutrients. Plus, I get full and don't have room for Protein.< /span>

But, I've been suffering from a Migraine the last few days and on a whim, bought a bagel this morning. I planned to eat 1/2 of it for Breakfast & maybe the other half later today as a snack. Well, sitting here at my desk munching and typing, I realized that I just ate almost all of it within the last 30 minutes. OH MY GOSH! I don't feel any pain (but feel full), but what the heck???? How did I fit that in, let alone why did I let it?

I've been "back to basics" since my cruise & this morning I was 126.8. That may change with today's binge. :huh:

I can completely relate. Most breads have become slider foods for me. The only bread that doesn't seem to work well are pancakes, biscuits and Subway bread. Plus, if I add any bready type item to my meal, I can fit in more food in one sitting. Kind of like at a steak house, if I take 2 bites of bread with my steak dinner, it seems that I have more space. BUT, if I only eat the steak, I still max out at about 4-5oz by volume. It's insane, and I hate it. Bagel thins had to be removed from the house because I could eat those far too easily.

That is so weird because you would think that it would swell and take up room.

I am only a little over 6 weeks out and have not tried bread yet and it will be a long time before I do, but that is scary, good to know, but scary!

Kelly ;)

I can completely relate. Most breads have become slider foods for me. The only bread that doesn't seem to work well are pancakes, biscuits and Subway bread. Plus, if I add any bready type item to my meal, I can fit in more food in one sitting. Kind of like at a steak house, if I take 2 bites of bread with my steak dinner, it seems that I have more space. BUT, if I only eat the steak, I still max out at about 4-5oz by volume. It's insane, and I hate it. Bagel thins had to be removed from the house because I could eat those far too easily.

That is so weird because you would think that it would swell and take up room.

I am only a little over 6 weeks out and have not tried bread yet and it will be a long time before I do, but that is scary, good to know, but scary!

Kelly ;)

Bread used to cause discomfort. But, from what I've read, transit time, and once the sleeve matures fully, different foods react differently for some people. I know a few long termers that still can not tolerate bread, but can eat hoards of fruit. I can barely eat 1/2 apple or 6-8 strawberries without getting a full feeling.

It's totally weird for me to have foods react differently than what they did for so long. Some of the breads still swell up like biscuits cause immediate discomfort, pancakes are a total no go, pancakes cause immediate cramping. I still can't eat an entire chicken breast which is super weird. And, a soft taco, I have to pull of the rounded part of the tortilla, but I can 10-12 tortilla chips with Beans, cheese, sour cream, ground meat. Totally weird to have such a varied capacity for certain foods. Last night for dinner, I was craving Arby's beef and cheddar sandwich. I took the top bun, it's where the cheese is slathered on, and a few strips of the roast beef with 3-4 packets of Arby's sauce, and was satisfied, I wasn't really full, but felt satisfied. I still try to undereat my sleeve because I really hate that "stuffed/full" feeling now. Plus, with the baby, and a super short torso, overeating causes reflux and discomfort. I'm all belly, and Sprout is pushing up into my abdominal cavity already. I'm totally dreading eating later in pregnancy. I honestly feel I'm doomed to be eating super soft solids and even puree foods to help prevent discomfort in the later months.

Could've been worse. It could have been a Krispy Kreme........

Could've been worse. It could have been a Krispy Kreme........

If only that were true! :o

Bagel with Promise Spread

Calories - 400

Carbs - 78

Protein - 12

Fat - 7

Calcium - 2

Krispy Kreme Original Donut (from website)

Calories - 200

Carbs - 22

Protein - 2

Fat - 12

Calcium - 6

Geez! I will definitely stay away from Bagels from now on. I like the Bagel thins so I might keep them around for a "craving" - can't overeat if I only make one.

YIKES! That freaked me out a little bit. :blink:

Sweet mother of.....

Who knew!

Oh god, I feel your pain. I accidentally ate a whole, whole-wheat tortilla (with hummous no less!) the other day and I was in AGONY. But even more distressing was that I COULD get all that in. :blink:

I obviously have much less restriction than you guys :( I can eat a big piece of toast with Peanut Butter for breakfast without any problem at all. I find that the most filling thing for me is a nice piece of beef/steak and salad, I know that it will fill me up with good calories. Tonight I had a small bowl of fruit salad (pineapple, straberries, kiwi, pineapple, no sugar or anything added) and no problems whatsoever. I pretty much eat like a normal skinny person now (I compare myself with my friends who are all naturally skinny)

I obviously have much less restriction than you guys :( I can eat a big piece of toast with Peanut Butter for Breakfast without any problem at all. I find that the most filling thing for me is a nice piece of beef/steak and salad, I know that it will fill me up with good calories. Tonight I had a small bowl of fruit salad (pineapple, straberries, kiwi, pineapple, no sugar or anything added) and no problems whatsoever. I pretty much eat like a normal skinny person now (I compare myself with my friends who are all naturally skinny)

Chilo1 - I can do the toast with Peanut Butter as well. But, a bagel is so dense & a lot more bread. It really freaked me out. Unfortunately, it didn't "stick with me" so I was hungry at lunch time.

I obviously have much less restriction than you guys :( I can eat a big piece of toast with Peanut Butter for breakfast without any problem at all. I find that the most filling thing for me is a nice piece of beef/steak and salad, I know that it will fill me up with good calories. Tonight I had a small bowl of fruit salad (pineapple, straberries, kiwi, pineapple, no sugar or anything added) and no problems whatsoever. I pretty much eat like a normal skinny person now (I compare myself with my friends who are all naturally skinny)

I don't think your restriction is much different than mine honestly. For some reason, fruit just fills me up super fast. I don't get it at all. This morning for breakfast, I ate a toasted Peanut Butter and jelly sandwich, minus the crust. I literally crave pb&j sandwiches right now. It takes me about 40 minutes to get that down, but I can eat it. I use seriously 3Tbsp of peanut butter, and 2Tbsp of strawberry jelly. So there is a lot of food lube going on there with the pb and jelly, but I can still eat it.

I still can't eat an entire chicken breast from restaurants unless I mix bread or lettuce with tons of dressing with it, but I can eat 2 standard sized fried chicken tenders as long as I have some gravy or barbecue sauce.

I honestly only cheat this much because of the pregnancy. I have to get in a minimum of 1700-1800 calories, and everyone here knows I hate to drink calories. Plus, I honestly do not have enough time, nor the desire to eat 6-8 times a day to hit my goals. My ob is okay with me hitting only 40-50gr of Protein, but I have to hit 100gr of carbs per day, if I fall short on Protein too many days in a row, he makes me shoot for 100gr of protein and the 100gr of carbs which is very tasking considering how limited my capacity really is when I'm not cheating.

For the most part, I eat like my naturally thin girlfriends, but I do leave a lot more of the carbs alone vs. what they are eating. But, no one ever questions my eating or lack thereof when out and about. The only difference is that I eat considerably slower than they do, and I don't really drink through my meals like they do. I might take a few sips, but they all get refills and I still have 3/4 of a glass at the end of our lunch dates.

I was just marveling to myself today at how different foods give such incredibly different restriction! And how different my restriction is at different times! I got one spicy tuna roll today and it came in 6 pieces. I was painfully full after 2 pieces for lunch and then again ate 2 pieces for supper. I still have 2 pieces in the fridge! I used to eat 3 whole rolls in one setting! So weird.

If only that were true! :o

Bagel with Promise Spread

Calories - 400

Carbs - 78

Protein - 12

Fat - 7

Calcium - 2

Krispy Kreme Original Donut (from website)

Calories - 200

Carbs - 22

Protein - 2

Fat - 12

Calcium - 6

WOW! That blows. my. mind.

You would think that sweet yumminess that is the donut glaze would have more than 22 carbs.blink.gif

I pretty much eat like a normal skinny person now (I compare myself with my friends who are all naturally skinny)

Yeah, I have been watching this too. Problem for me is, where I'm at, the naturally skinny women all eat these HUGE portions of food at lunchtime -- that is their big meal of the day, they have like one croissant or a piece of fruit with their coffee for breakfast, and presumably a smallish supper. But I'm not kidding, everyone around me is fully cleaning their plate at the canteen at lunchtime and the portions are not small. :blink: I couldn't even do that pre-op.

I think I have to come up with my own special brand of 'normal'. :D

Mini-Me -- I think it IS normal to eat a whole bagel for breakfast and then be hungry again by lunchtime. That, in my experience, is totally normal (this pretty much describes half of NYC every day). The only thing is, you just wouldn't have a bagel every day, just once a week or so. Given that you ate it kind of slowly over at least 1/2 an hour, it's not surprising you could get the whole thing down. I think you are doing great.