Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a question for those that have been VSG'd (sleeved, lol). How soon after the procedure were you permitted to do intense cardio and core training? I am a staunch proponent of High Intensity Interval Training and strengthening my core muscles. Three times a week I do brief HIIT cardio (15 min per session), usually M-W-F. On Tues & Thurs I do compound weightlifting (Deadlifts on one day and Bench Press on the other). I feel that exercising could only amplify my results and would love to get after it ASAP after surgery.

What are your thought on when to jump back into the gym?

I'm on weight restriction (no lifting over 15 pounds) for 2 weeks. I would give yourself about a month or so before you start anything really heavy. This is major surgery and you don't want to hurt yourself because then you won't be able to exercise for even longer. Plus, if you're anything like me, you'll be EXHAUSTED for the first couple of weeks.

Thanks, Caliblonde. I was wondering how I was going to take in my Water after a hard exercise. A lot of times after a workout I have drank half a gallon of water in addition to sipping throughout my exercises.

2 months for me but I also had a large hiatal hernia repair so the work on my diaphragm was more painful and extensive than the sleeve surgery. Check with your doctor and see what is recommended.

I was told no core work for a month. I am walking every day for an hour and then Water walking every evening but am not allowed to do the full Water aerobics until my one month. (I am at 3 weeks- so near yet so far ;-P) I also can't lift over 5 pounds. The incisions pass through muscle so you need to let that all heal before you start stressing it!

I rediscovered and enjoy the walking and my husband and I consider it a date and our dog loves it too so I will now do both for a double workout!

Thanks all. I was guesstimating about 4-6 weeks before I can hit the gym hard again. I usually deadlift 225lb and bench the same. Each I only do two sets for 7 reps/set. To play it very safe maybe 8 weeks for the weights and just 4-6 for the cardio?

My dr. said no core work for 6 weeks. He will check me at my 6 week check up to see how I am progressing and we will go from there! 10 lb lifting restriction for first 2 weeks, 20 lbs till week 4. 30 lbs till week 6.

Kelly :)

I'm still pre-op (VSG date 6/6) but I was told at least one month/4weeks before intense workouts. I cycle on weekends and spin/walk/yoga during the week. But like others, I was told walking is okay, moderately at first. Like others said, it's more about the healing and recouperating. Our bodies need the energy. I'm no authority but I'm not sure how much muscle repair can happen if lifting while healing when we are consuming mostly clear fluids for about a week. Thanks for posting this question. I'm going to ask MD again and be specific about weights since I want to encorporate those too. I'll post here if I learn anything new.

For first two weeks, I was restricted to:

• No stretching, twisting, or straining of core muscles
  • No lifting over 10 pounds
  • Walking and riding bike OK.

At my two week checkup, my Dr. said I can begin to resume workouts and lifting heavier weights. He said to pace myself, with the goal of being back to full-strength workouts and lifting in one month (6 weeks post-op).

Lynda