Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Body Sculpting or No?

I met with a plastic surgeon today about my remaining problem areas. I know I have a lot of loose skin on my upper abdomen with some fat and that my lower abdomen has some as well (what woman doesn't).

I had seen some before and after photos of women who had liposuction and it really smoothed out the looks of the tummy. So, I made an appointment. I went in with high expectations.

Well, today I learned that it's mostly skin & little can be done with liposuction. Yes, they can reduce the volume, but I may look even bumpier on my upper abdomen. And, my lower which is nice and smooth (while a little plump) could look like my upper once the remaining fat is removed.

The good news? They can totally smooth out the fat on my bra line - something I wasn't even considering doing. I think I've looked at it in the bathroom 20 times since they pointed it out. (Great – something else to pick apart when I look in the mirror!) To be fair, the doctor wasn't that concerned & said it was minimal; the nurse is the one that pointed it out.

So, what to do? A tummy tuck/body lift seems very extreme since you can't see the bumpiness with my clothes on. I figured since I was already going to be on the table, I might as well remove the pooch on the bottom abdomen. I'm trying to reconcile how far I'm come with my "perfect" image of what I want to be.

Maybe that sounds vain or like I've gone to the "dark side". And to be honest, I'm not sure. I need to think on it some more. The one thing I do know is that the quote was $800 over what I had set as my "top end" on price for now. I'm not silly enough to let $800 stop me from something I really want to do ... but for now, it's enough to make me step back and consider what I really want.

Anyone have any advice or suggestions on what they have done or plan to do?

Thanks!

MINI

Hmmmm ... 86 views and no comments. sad.gif

I'm not totally there yet, but I can understand the dilema. I have a friend who is small and she's had 3 kids. We are both talking about our "tummy tucks" when I get down to goal =) She showed me her loose skin and I can imagine that is what I'm gonna look like. I don't think Lipo will do it for me....a lil' tuck and pull maybe.

I don't think it's being vain. I think you worked really hard to get to where you are at! Lucky you! My only concern when I get there is I have a good surgeon. I remember reading about Tara Reid's bad Tummy Tuck in People magazine years ago :unsure: I don't know what she had, but I remember reading it was "lumpy"

I'm not totally there yet, but I can understand the dilema. I have a friend who is small and she's had 3 kids. We are both talking about our "tummy tucks" when I get down to goal =) She showed me her loose skin and I can imagine that is what I'm gonna look like. I don't think Lipo will do it for me....a lil' tuck and pull maybe.

I don't think it's being vain. I think you worked really hard to get to where you are at! Lucky you! My only concern when I get there is I have a good surgeon. I remember reading about Tara Reid's bad Tummy Tuck in People magazine years ago :unsure: I don't know what she had, but I remember reading it was "lumpy"

Tara had bad lipo, she didn't get a tummy tuck. Also I think she had a bad boob job and her dress "accidentally" fell down at an event.rolleyes.gif

I say go for whatever makes you happy. You have the right to look exactly how you want to look after all that hard work.smile.gif

Hi Mini-me, I don't think it's vain at all. I booked in for my tummytuck for december yesterday (I'm so excited), still have a few pounds to lose but i know for a fact that liposuction won't do the job. I've seen many people who had tummytucks and the results are fantastic. I say go for what will make you happy, :P

Well I had my Tummy Tuck done years before my sleeve. My thing to correct once I meet goal will either be a boob job or legs. Not sure maybe wont need the legs (thighs) since I'm walking everyday. fingers crossed.:D Do what ever makes you happy. That is all that matters.

Deb

If I could afford it, I would consider getting rid of some loose skin lol...but since I can't afford it, it's not an option for me lol

Thanks for all the responses. You guys are the best.

I guess the thing is that tummy tuck/body lift is just not affordable right now. Plus, I really wonder if all the pain and another major surgery is worth it.

I am interested in the body sculpting with liposuction. I know it won't get rid of excess skin, but it may be able to smooth out some areas that are resistant to losing fat. I don't have a lot to remove, but they said they could remove some from the lower abdomen and the little "bra rolls" I have.

I guess I'm just concerned about how I will feel about even more skin on my tummy once the remaining bit of fat is gone. I know my clothes will look better, but I wonder about the naked me that only my hubby and I see. Will it make me feel more self-conscious about being naked or more positive about how I look in my clothes??? I would love to say I lost 5 pounds in one afternoon! LOL

I told the plastic surgeon's office that I would call back on Monday with my decision. Maybe I can just be honest and say, I can pay "x" which is $800 lower than you quote. Maybe they will be willing to bargain with me. I guess it can't hurt to try. If they say no ... I can always save up - that will give me time to have all the cash & time to consider further.

Thanks again for all your support. I knew you guys would understand what I'm feeling. I love all my sleeve friends.

Hmmm, I'd wait a few months on the Lipo and try to do some weight lifting in the meantime to see if it resolves the problem. I'm not anti-lipo, but yes, it CAN make you look lumpy after, and one of the worst things that could happen is that you regain a few lbs years from now and it will end up somewhere ridiculous. One of my mom's friends had lipo done on her lower abdomen and then she gained like 20 lbs later. Like half of that weight went to her upper abdomen - and NONE to her lower. Now she looks like a freak, she can never wear anything remotely form-fitting, because she has this huge shelf of fat protruding over her bellybutton, but underneath it's flat as a board! She super-unhappy, but she's afraid to get lipo on her upper abdomen now, because she's scared of this fat going somewhere even more esthetically unpleasant, e.g. her face or hands.

I say go for it! I friend of mine had a Tummy Tuck and she looks fabulous. I am going to try and get one because I have so much skin already from three kids and obesity. I can't imagine what it will be like when I get to goal. I don't think it is vain at all. You deserve it!

Thanks for your input everyone!

I met with another plastic surgeon today. I immediately liked him and felt very comfortable. He spent an hour with me discussing options and making sure I understood the procedures.

He definitely made me realize that I would not be happy with liposuction alone. It would just give me more sagging skin & he said there really wasn't a lot of fat to remove anyway. He suggested a full Tummy Tuck and thought that my results would be very good.

I know prices differ per region, but he quoted $6,500 for surgery and follow-up care. Does that sound like a good price to you?

(Now, just to find that $ laying around somewhere! unsure.gif)

Thanks for your input everyone!

I met with another plastic surgeon today. I immediately liked him and felt very comfortable. He spent an hour with me discussing options and making sure I understood the procedures.

He definitely made me realize that I would not be happy with liposuction alone. It would just give me more sagging skin & he said there really wasn't a lot of fat to remove anyway. He suggested a full Tummy Tuck and thought that my results would be very good.

I know prices differ per region, but he quoted $6,500 for surgery and follow-up care. Does that sound like a good price to you?

(Now, just to find that $ laying around somewhere! unsure.gif)

I don't think that's unreasonable, I think here in England its more expensive, around $10,000. I'm getting mine done in Paraguay (that's where I'm from) my mums lending me the money, I think it's around $5,000. So seeing as we're going anyway for Christmas I had to book it now, I'm so excited!! I agree that with liposuction the results won't be as good, especiaally because your problem is probably mostly skin. I will prob have TT+liposuction, I still have some fat around my middle are. I am exercising like mad though to try to get rid of most of it before my surgery! I hope you find those $$ laying around, you'll feel fantastic, keep us posted!!

I don't think that's unreasonable, I think here in England its more expensive, around $10,000. I'm getting mine done in Paraguay (that's where I'm from) my mums lending me the money, I think it's around $5,000. So seeing as we're going anyway for Christmas I had to book it now, I'm so excited!! I agree that with liposuction the results won't be as good, especiaally because your problem is probably mostly skin. I will prob have TT+liposuction, I still have some fat around my middle are. I am exercising like mad though to try to get rid of most of it before my surgery! I hope you find those $$ laying around, you'll feel fantastic, keep us posted!!

Thanks for your support. I really appreciate your willingness to cheer us all on. Good luck with your surgery in December - what a great gift to yourself.

Mini... I would have a TT done NOW, this minute ..lol!

I don't think it is vain, but a good end to an incredible weight loss journey, the icing on the cake if you excuse the pun!!