Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Smoking Cigarettes

I quit Smoking a few weeks ago, and I was fine with it, but for some reason the past few days I really want to smoke. Did anyone here smoke up until their surgery? What the worse that could happen if I smoked before surgery? I think I can Handle the not smoking, but the thought of not smoking, and being on a liquid diet has me nervous, I mean what the hell am I going to do? No cigarettes, No food, How will I keep my mind off both food and smoking? I'm determined to get through this, but I'm thinking I am going to be a major grouch come Thursday when I have to go on the liquid diet for 5 days, and not smoke at the same time.

Any Ideas on how to stay away from smoking at this point?

hey warrior,

i was a 20+ smoker. When i found out i was having the sleeve i quit 4 weeks before surgery, with the help of nicotine Patches. One big reason is that during the op, smokers are more prone to incident, and it takes them longer to recover post surgery. Thats all i needed to hear! I thought if i can just not smoke until surgery, i can always smoke after if i want.

Post surgery, i still havent had a craving for a ciggy and i came off the ptaches the day of the surgery. Honestly the last thing id want to do right now is smoke! Ill be honest though, its really strange not stuffing my face while quitting smoking, the internet has become my new obsession! researching the sleeve, doing my blog, anything to keep my mind and hands busy.

Id advise you to really not smoke before the op and see how it goes after.

Good luck x

hey warrior,

i was a 20+ smoker. When i found out i was having the sleeve i quit 4 weeks before surgery, with the help of nicotine Patches. One big reason is that during the op, smokers are more prone to incident, and it takes them longer to recover post surgery. Thats all i needed to hear! I thought if i can just not smoke until surgery, i can always smoke after if i want.

Post surgery, i still havent had a craving for a ciggy and i came off the ptaches the day of the surgery. Honestly the last thing id want to do right now is smoke! Ill be honest though, its really strange not stuffing my face while quitting smoking, the internet has become my new obsession! researching the sleeve, doing my blog, anything to keep my mind and hands busy.

Id advise you to really not smoke before the op and see how it goes after.

Good luck x

Just adding my 2 cents for what my surgeon told me. He said that he doesn't want his patients to smoke for at least 3 weeks post-op because it can delay the healing process and if you are in a high risk category anyways for leaks either due to other health conditions or being a revision patient it only compounds the possibilities for complications/ delay in healing. What is odd is he only requires patients to quit 7 days pre-surgery. I do not have a surgery date, but plan to quit 3 or 4 weeks pre-surgery.

My doc made me quit for 2 months prior to surgery. He even made sure that I wasn't smoking by doing a tox screen and told me that if it showed that I had nicotene in my system he would cancel my surgery. I have been soo long without a cig I really don't want one now.. I think cigs are in your head. of course you have to concentrate on other things if not you will consumed with wanting a smoke.. I hated having to give them up but I'm not putting another one of them nasty things in my mouth again.. And yes I gave up cigs,caffeine, food ,cokes, you can do it if you are commited to having this sugery and commiting to a healtier life.. Guess what it is an awesome time to quit smoking.. And yes you are talking to a 15 plus year smoker so I know your pain......

I too quit. I took chantix for two weeks. After the two weeks I no longer wanted one. It made the cigarette taste like dirt to me. So yep that is all it took. Not only did I quit smoking, I stopped all carbonated beverages (seven months ago) Caffiene as well. I don't even want another cigarette or pepsi product. Good luck with your choice.

Deb

I'm still waiting on insurance approval, but was told by my doc's office that my husband's plan doesn't require a program plan so I think I will have the surgery sooner than later. That being said, I started back smoking 6 months ago after being quit for 4 yrs due to an unfortunate situation (what an idiot). I quit on Chantix the last time but am having a VERY difficult time putting them down this time. My doc says they test for nicotinetoo prior to surgery and may not do it if there is nicotine in my system. Have 2 cigs left and I am not buying anymore after they're gone!! I just have to get my mind set and DO IT!!! Not only for my health, but so I can be able to be more active with my 6 yr old.

I use an electronic cigarette. Have for about a year now. Actually was "vaping" in my hospital room. Smells much better! My personal fave is the EGO. The best price is found at cignot.com. If you are interested I can tell you more. I've tried smoking since I started vaping and it just tastes nasty to me now.

Dr. Campos said he ordered one for Dr. Aceves! :lol:

I did the e-cig too. But I didn't care for it. Sold my kit and all of the liquids to a co-worker. So completly smoke free. This is the second time that I have quit. First time I was smoke free was for six years. Then went through a rough patch and picked it up again for six years. I'm totally commited to being smoke free. Good luck to everyone trying to kick the habit. I know it is tough.

Deb

Smoking is a killer obviously. At the International Sleeve Gastrectomy meeting this year, a paper was presented with patients having delayed leaks (>3 weeks out). All patients had one thing in common....they smoked. I ask my patients to quit 4-6 weeks pre-op. It's a life changer....stopping smoking and losing weight. You'll be a new you.

My doctor made me take a drug test for nicotine before he would do my surgery, so I had to quit smoking. With no food or cigarettes, I had no coping skills. I had to get my meds readjusted with my shrink to keep from biting someone's head off. For me, I decided that I wanted surgery more than I wanted a cigarette. It was HARD, but it can be done. Just look at your goal and let that be your motivation for not smoking. I think the 2 days liquid diet was harder than not smoking.

Good luck!

I'm not saying its okay, but...

I am guilty of smoking the morning OF my surgery. And I was fine. I was so worried about not being able to smoke after surgery, too, but honestly it wasnt as bad as I anticipated. For about the first week, the thought of a cigarette disgusts you. And once you get so far without a cigarette, it gets easier and easier.

Thanks for all the great replies! I'm going to try to stick this out, just take it minute by minute if I have to. As I said I haven't smoked in weeks, but it has not been easy, and I think between the 5 day liquid diet, and not smoking, I'm going to be one mean, and grouchy person. I started smoking in 7th grade, about 12 years old, I'm 42 now, so basically I do not remember a time in my life without cigarettes. It is nice not to have to always carry my smokes and lighter with me, its also nice not to have to go outside at social functions and freeze my but off just to have a quick smoke.

warrior smoking is always a part of us.. I haven't smoked in 3 months and I get into situations and sometimes say man I would love to have a smoke.. With any addiction there are always temptation and that is really suck..You are quitting for your surgery so I really do respect that. So what are your plans after you heal. Since you havent' had one in soo long will you start again or will you change your lifestyle? Well I took the fact that I didn't have one for over 3 months now and I decided to just not start back up..It does get easier. Good luck

My goal is to stay quit forever, assuming that it does get easier each week, month, and so on. For right now its a major concern because the two things in this world I always counted on, food, and Cigarettes are going to be gone for good come Thursday when I go on my 5 day pre op liquid diet. The smoking I can handle, as I said I quit weeks ago, but now not smoking with no food, that is going to take some serious willpower!