Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does stress effect weight loss?

Helloah!!

Just wondering if stress effects weight loss and if anyone out there has experienced this?

I am not looking for excuses, but curious ... I am a teacher in a comprehensive school (age 11-16) and I LOVE my job! I lvoe being in the classroom and interacting with my pupils; I love to see them learn and progress, to see the 'light' come on when they understand new things. I love watching them grow and mature into decent young adults who are preparing to face the adult world!

However, more recenty my role is changing... I am now being given more admin work and reponsibilty to do and initially it was under duress... back in Dec I started to feel really stressed and pressure in work, this has manifested itself into nasty headaches that have more recently turned to Migraines. Not nice! I am doing my best, but to be honest I feel like I am drowning and I am desperately trying to tread Water.

This is an unusual position for me because I usually thrive off some stress, and deal with it well and move on. I hope I come across as a positive person, who sees her glass as half full not half empty! I am not used to long periods feeling like this and I don't like it. Do I need to learn new coping stratergies now I don't have food?

I am hitting the gym more now, hoping that it would relieve the stress, but if truth be known it just makes me tired and I do less work when I get home... a double sided sword?

Will this effect my weight loss as well as my mood? Has anyone else been in a similar position? I know I need to get myself sorted in work and find the energy to get things done... I am working on it as best I can!

Any words of wisdom for a stressed Coops?

Meditation helps if you can relax enough.

Hatha yoga. We've had tremendous stress at my work for years due to bad administrative decisions and declining enrollment. I teach at a small university. I handle it best through meditation. I am mobility impaired from osteoarthritis but even using a yoga DVD for folks who need to sit down to exercise I find tje yoga helpful. Years ago I went to Hatha yoga twic a week and it as great for both relaxing and te-energizing. I don't think stress is affecting my weight loss as long as I EST right in response

Oops sorry above. That was eat right. However I have not read any research on stress and weight gain other than stress causing overeating. There may be some data out there. I empathize with you believe me! Wow a Lot of typos in previous message accidentally sent before checked it. Hope its decipherable!

I am a teacher, I will say that I am exhausted when I get through with work at the end of the day! I have to take a nap almost everyday when I get home. I am pretty early out, so I can't give you an answer exactly. I just wanted you to know that I understand where you are coming from. I would think stress can effect weight loss. I have found if I eat fruits and vegetables, I feel so much better. It does up my carbs a bit, but to me it's worth it. Teaching is such a rewarding job, but it can be so draining. I get so tired when I work out, too. We just can't win! Just keep thinking about summer...when things are a lot more relaxed! LOL

Thanks ladies...

I just feel soooo drained at the moment, I don't want to stop going to the gym, but I might have to take a lil break until I feel a little better... I can't shift this damn headache/migraine either... I feel like my head is being compressed! Don't know whether it is stress or hormones ( I had a lot of Migraines when I was pregnant, both times!)

Roseib, your weight loss is amazing... well done! I have tried yoga before and enjoyed it. At the moment not sure if it would work as my two kids are older now and going to bed later... there is no quiet time in this house til 9pm and then I am knackered!! I will have a think and see if I can wangle it in somehow!

Becca, you are right, it is a rewarding job! Before the sleeve I used to have a nanna nap daily, that has gone now so good things are ahead for you. Until Dec my energy levels were sky high, unfortunately they have dipped a lot since then... I will just have to get on with it for now!

I am sure things will right themselves, they usually do!

Thanks for your kind words x

Take a look at the following article.

http://www.medicinen...rticlekey=53304

Or just do a search about cortisol and weight.

thank you... a very interesting article, especially as since I have lost weight, the problem area is definately around my waist, as opposed to when I was younger, I carried weight around my hips and thighs; I have definately changed shape, from a pear to an apple!

I will google and have a read...

I'm a teacher too and I think, just from my own personal experience, that stress will make me hold onto Water, etc. Plus, think about it -- we're on our feet all day, no time to really have to ourselves (except when we're grading after school and during planning periods) -- it's constant stress -- see this article Top 5 Most Stressful Jobs -- and, on top of all of that now you have more administrative tasks you're supposed to fit in to you already crammed, stressed day? Yep, I'd say it does factor into weight loss, etc.

Stress definitely effects my weight, and fat deposits.

Everyone knows we've been trying to conceive. As much as I say I'm not stressing about it, how can I not be stressing, right?

Anyways, one thing I have noticed is that my fat has been returning to my stomach area. I have a muffin top in a size 2? ?? How can that be, right? Plus, my husband's job is changing and very demanding which in turn puts more stress on the baby-making, I'm just a hot mess.

I am a firm believer in the cortisol causing belly fat, and weight gain or stalls. It's a hormone and throw that in with all the other hormone stuff going on, it's the perfect storm.

Find a massage school, and go rubbed down once a week ! ! !

Thanks again for your contributions ladies,

Julie...interesting article; I'm a teacher my husband is a police officer.... stress levels are way up in this house...lol!

I think I am going to concentrate on getting my work done and leave the gym off this week... if I can get on top of it I am hoping things will seem a little brighter and perhaps have a little more energy...??????

Tiffy, I hear you completely, especially the weight around the middle... I am starting to look like a wasp here... all belly!! Trying for a baby is really stressful when it is supposed to be 'fun'...you know what I mean!

This thing called cortisol has a lot to answer to, doesn't it... might be the reason I have a lot of stalls and sparadic weight loss...

I think it is time for me to 'breathe in, and breathe out. Breathe in and breathe out' repeat 'til calm ...lol

=]

I am a definite believer in the benefits of massage. Not only does it help with stress and pain relief, I have not had as many colds, etc since starting regular massage about 3 years ago.

Sorry to hear that you are stressed with work right now ... been there, done that (and it looks like I may be headed there again) ... Keep your chin up - feel free to come out here and vent if it helps!

Coops I'm sorry you're going through this. I firmly believe in the cortisol fat stress response, and how it influences how we gain weight (round the waist, i too changed my shape completely in the last 6 years from pear to apple) I know how stressful a teachers job is, my mum's a teacher, so whatever you can fit in to try and make life a bit easier go for it! ;)

YES. Stress affects weight loss. I work in IRAQ. I am almost 7 months post-op, I have barely lost 50% to goal. I have been stalled for 3 weeks.

Globetrotter... I am only just half way to goal at 7mths..., isn't it frustrating when you tick all the boxes and see little movement,,, I don't really know how to resolve this...

today has been a really crap day in work and I feel like I want to cry.. but I won't! Thank God for my sleeve cos I could demolish a bag of choc right now!!!