Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all -- I'm entering my 4th week and getting "lumpy" mushy stuff to eat . . . but the thing I've been struggling with emotionally is saying good bye to food -- I mean, I just don't really like it anymore. Nothing tastes good, nothing is really the same anymore and it makes me sad that at one point, I liked everything (ha -- I know what comes from liking everything). But I guess my sadness is that I just don't really enjoy eating -- and it's not the binging-kind of eating I'm mourning, it's the enjoyment of ANY food I put in my mouth. Now, food is kind of like medicine -- I know I have to eat it to stay healthy, but if I could, I would just avoid it all together. And it makes me soooo sad because I really enjoyed eating, I loved new flavors, etc. Now it's just "eh."

I'm hoping some of you all can give me your great words of wisdom -- I've just been so sad this past week and I just can't foresee a future where there is NOTHING I enjoy eating . . .

Sorry for the downer post . . .

I'm 2 months out now and have been through the same. I'm starting to enjoy food a bit more now, even if just in tiny portions. At first weekends were especially hard and sad, as a family we used to cook together and then enjoy our homemade pizzas! Now its gradually changing, I even went out w friends and had a couple of drinks and it felt fab! My taste is a bit better, i enjoy food a bit more, I've been told it gets better with time. Make the most of it now to lose all the weight you can (within what your surgeon requires vcalorie and Protein wise of course!)

Hi all -- I'm entering my 4th week and getting "lumpy" mushy stuff to eat . . . but the thing I've been struggling with emotionally is saying good bye to food -- I mean, I just don't really like it anymore. Nothing tastes good, nothing is really the same anymore and it makes me sad that at one point, I liked everything (ha -- I know what comes from liking everything). But I guess my sadness is that I just don't really enjoy eating -- and it's not the binging-kind of eating I'm mourning, it's the enjoyment of ANY food I put in my mouth. Now, food is kind of like medicine -- I know I have to eat it to stay healthy, but if I could, I would just avoid it all together. And it makes me soooo sad because I really enjoyed eating, I loved new flavors, etc. Now it's just "eh."

I'm hoping some of you all can give me your great words of wisdom -- I've just been so sad this past week and I just can't foresee a future where there is NOTHING I enjoy eating . . .

Julia, I really have no great words of wisdom - only that I completely understand where you are coming from.

I had a downer moment last night, wondering why I had to do this surgery to beat the food addiction, and even missing my food too. I could have written that myself as you say you would just avoid food all together if you could. Couldn't agree more.

However I learned just yesterday that it does get better over time. I think we should rather Celebrate our freedom from food right now while we have it. We will get our tastebuds and appetite back again someday... but hopefully by then I'll be close to goal! :biggrin0:

Hugs!!

I keep telling myself that there is nothing I enjoy more than seeing that scale go down, and feeling my clothes loose and seeing myself in the mirror. NOTHING. I agree.. I just had one of my favorites... creamy Tomato Soup... couldn't even finish it and it even tasted kinda different. I was like eh.. But I don't care! I'm glad! I want this! And I'd give up food for all of the other positive things that are going to come from my weightloss. I know I'll have a low moment, but I am going to try to remember these feelings when that happens. Try to find a way to Celebrate you weight loss! you've done great so far! Facial? Pedicure? Something nonfood!

Good luck :)

Hi Julie,

For me food appreciation did return, just not the need to eat loads of it. In the beginning though I felt just like you, food was not pleasurable in any way, just a necessary function. Now I feel pretty normal, except I can't eat very much of it so I am very choosy about what I do eat, all good quality and nutritional and tasty.

So please don't be sad, just wait it out and enjoy the lightness of being.

Jane x

I LOVED my food.... and now see it as purely something I have to have, which is sad so I can relate, but I think I would rather have that then the scales increasing on me year on year.

I posted a while ago about being bored with my food.... that is changing slowly as I experiment with different things, so I think in time I'll be able to appreciate each meal.

Like Jane says, my Portion Control now is so small I make sure I have exactly what I want as thats all I get, a few mouthfuls... so I may as well enjoy what I am eating.

Today is my fourth week, and I feel the same exact way. I explain to everyone it is like a chore to eat. I dread when it is time to eat. Trying to think of something I may like, and then making it tasting it and yuck, after two bites, and I can not eat anymore

I feel the same way :( every thing is pretty much blah right now. The great news is that I hear it will get better and this too shall pass :)

hey ladies it me melissa i hope you guys can answer this question, im one week post op today feeling pretty good now but its my 3rd day with hardly any sleep not because im unfortable and in pain but i dunno my brain wont go to sleep alll the way you know when ur still kinda of awake but sleeping at the same time, not your normal deep sleep, is this normal after sleeve surgury im worried i want sleep again i nice 8hr + would be nice. i hope it goes awayso someone answer this please

Hi Julie. You have received some great support and advice and my experience was the same. I think I felt the sadness pre-op because my surgery happened so fast and post-op, I lost the taste for a number of old favourites. It does return though - your desire for the things you like - but you may also find that your tastes really have changed. For me, I don't like coffee or sweets any longer and those were staples for years for me. Your body will get back into the groove before you know it. I am five months out and I am pretty much back to my 'normal' but I eat very healthy as this is what I gravitate towards. I kept a food diary for about 4 months until I knew for sure I was getting my daily requirements and I am confident where I am now. Rest assured things will get better!

hey ladies it me melissa i hope you guys can answer this question, im one week post op today feeling pretty good now but its my 3rd day with hardly any sleep not because im unfortable and in pain but i dunno my brain wont go to sleep alll the way you know when ur still kinda of awake but sleeping at the same time, not your normal deep sleep, is this normal after sleeve surgury im worried i want sleep again i nice 8hr + would be nice. i hope it goes awayso someone answer this please

Melissa, I was the SAME way, and yes it went away. I remember the first night I slept 5 straight hours! Then same the next night, then 6, then last night I slept a full night. Beginning was awful. Day 3.. hmmm that was my first day home from hospital. I slept an hour, woke up, slept an hour, woke up. Awful. Then the next day, I slept 3 hours, woke up for a pain pill, slept 3 hours, etc.. gets better and better I promise.

Hi Julia just looked at your "video" on youtube, you are very pretty! So how are things going now, I'm 2 months out and still having the ocassional missing my food moments, but it's getting better and better and I love seeing the results! MAy I ask at what hospital did you have your surgery? How did you find the experience, staff etc. Are you taking Vitamins after the surgery and which vitamins did they recommend, just because my father's coming from PY to visit in a few weeks and i think the vitamins might be cheaper over there so I wanted to ask him to bring some over. Well, hope all is going well and keep us posted!(so exciting to find someone who lives in PY on this forum!!)