Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't remember seeing this issue anywhere on any other posting/thread. So, this is my situation. I have had a very low energy level since my surgery (in mid-January). I had a blood test last week to see if I am taking enough/retaining all of my Vitamins (which I am). I saw the doctor and he is not concerned. He told me that with rapid weight loss (almost 80 lbs in 4 months) that could sometimes happen. I am eating about 1200-1500 calories a day. A lot/most of it being Protein.< /p>

Here's the question... has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions?

I even told my surgeon what a helpful place VST has been. So now I turn to the real experts. Thanks as always for whatever observations you might offer. :thumbup::001_huh:

Be sure you are getting at least 70 ounces of non-caffinated fluids daily. Did he check b Vitamin levels?

I am usually getting plenty of non-caffeinated fluids/water & I suspected the B levels myself would be the culprit-however they weren't. I was wondering if I needed to add more "good carbs" to the mix???

That sounds like a good idea.

What Vitamin levels did your doctor check?

Yes, my energy level is lower then grandma! hehehe. . .no seriously, I go to work, drag through that and come home and am in the bed by 9pm! I sleep like the dead and at 6 am when the alarm rings I feel so dragged out and lifeless that i vow to come to bed earlier that evening. . . I take my B12, Multivitamins and so on, but i guess i don't eat many calories though (maybe 750 - 800 I've slid back to old habits of missing meals and eating on the run. . not too many carbs though still watch that but get those in too, good ones, not bad ones) but as yourself, my labs are great, doc says i'm doing great, blah blah blah. . . i however, feel blah, very tired. . .I completely understand how you feel. . . if there is a solution out there, please share

You might want to try increasing your calories every third day to see if that perks up your metabolism up a little. Your calorie intake is very low when you consider the fact that you are a male, 6'7". That would easily explain the fatigue.

Once your body starts running lower on fat reserves to burn (and it doesn't have to run "out," just "low"), you have to make sure that you're getting enough calories to fuel you for the day or you'll be very low energy and weak. If your labs are good, I agree w/katt that you're probably undernourished.

You may not lose weight quite as fast if you bump up your calories (or who knows, you may lose weight *faster* -- the body is a strange and wonderful thing), but you really don't want to start scavenging muscle and brain tissue for calories. Trust me.

I am 6 weeks in, and I am tired and fatigued. My doctor says it's due to losing the weight so fast. I also and sticking to low calories, 600-800 because I want to lose the weight as fast as I can, and i am will to be a little tired to get there.

I don't know what he checked, but an especially common deficiency just after winter is Vitamin D. Especially if you are eating less cholestorol. I would ask what specifically your dr. checked.

Thanks everyone for the great responses. I have not seen the test report itself. However, I was assured by my surgeon & my GP that I'm doing great (in their opinions). I will try bumping up my calorie intake a bit. I avoid carbs like the plague. Any suggestions for "good carbs" to add. As is the case with probably all or at least most of you, I can only eat a little at a time. 45 min-hour for a meal. I'm open for suggestions. :thumbup1:

Seriously, I think people go overboard on the "no carbs" thing. From what I know, folks who eat carbs -- even (shudder!) Pasta and potatoes and such -- can still lose weight. The key is moderation.

And extremely low-carb diets can produce exactly the feelings of listlessness and sluggishness you're mentioning.

What use is losing weight if you can't keep it off? And if your diet is making you feel miserable, that's a recipe for not being able to keep it off.

i use Dreamfields Pasta (i think Tifff recommened), and that has low absorbable carbs. Vegatables.

I agree with Ouroborous about going overboard with the "no-carbs" thing. I guess everyones body reacts different to different diets but I just could not do extremely low carb. Especially with the level of intensity and duration that I work out. When I tried under 30 grams per day, I felt lightheaded and extremely low energy. There were times that I couldn't make it through my full workout and even times I blacked out in the shower after coming home from the gym. I was miserable, not to mention scared. I doubled my carb intake to about 60g per day and I have been feeling awesome! Weight loss has not stalled, not once! And I am able to last through my workouts and even exceed what I set out to do!!! I am making wonderful progress and feel great energy wise. One thing though--I center my carbs around times when I'm expelling the most energy. Before and after workouts I intake the most, then for lunch I have some in moderation like a sandwhich on 1 piece of bread or a homeade pizza. Never do I have carbs for dinner before going to bed unless it's a couple ounces of veggies that I have with some Protein. I lose about 3-4 lbs. average a week and I'm 3 months out. Good luck with that energy!

This is a very good point, and very important... carbs are useful to give you a little "boost" before physical activity.

The whole Atkins "carbs are evil" thing has gone too far. Moderation in all things. Unsustainable weight loss is what got most of us here in the first place. Make sure that you're treating your sleeve as a lifelong change, not just a quick-fix diet. We all know how those turn out.