Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is there anything that has high Protein that you can take easily without the horrible taste. I am still swollen from surgery so I can't get my protein from meat yet. All the drinks I have tried are disgusting. It takes all of me to gag them down. I wish there was a pill. Is there a pill!!!! :(

Yes, there is a pill (chewable)... But I've never tried it, I don't know if it's terrible (guessing it might be) and it's expensive. (And not a lot of Protein per tab.) Anyways, you can check out the different ones here:

BariatricChoice.com - Bariatric Surgery Diet supplements, Bariatric Foods, Bariatric Vitamins for Bariatric Eating

There are OTHER Proteins you can try that are medical grade as well:

Bariatric Advantage - liquid Proteins

Yeah I noticed the pills were like 1gram per pill totally not worth it. I will just have to look around and try. Hopefully I can start eating a little more to where I can eat meat to get my Protein. I cant stand the powders! I have tried a bullet and it too was disgusting. Hopefully it will get better soon!!!! :(

I promise it will get better. Those first few weeks, it's almost impossible to get in the Protein. I gagged on everything as well. EVERYONE's taste are different. I hated almost everything people suggested. What finally worked for me was adding Any whey powder (1/2 scoop) to Carbmaster yogurt (21 g of protein) and making powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup. The Soup is a bit salty tasting, but for some that appealed to me.

Good luck. Right now, focus on your hydration and getting in what you can for Protein. Try not to stress. "Real" food is coming very soon.

Yeah I noticed the pills were like 1gram per pill totally not worth it. I will just have to look around and try. Hopefully I can start eating a little more to where I can eat meat to get my Protein. I cant stand the powders! I have tried a bullet and it too was disgusting. Hopefully it will get better soon!!!! :001_tt2:

My trick for getting down the Protein bullets was to mix it with Water... that tones down the flavor and sweetness. Plug nose and get it down. Having been through three bariatric related surgeries I can say with certainty, the protein is one of if not THE most important post-surgical element. It sucks, but everything functions around that... healing of wounds, internal healing, skin, hair and organ function, etc.

The first couple of weeks are VERY hard, at least they were for me... but now, I'm holding on fine. Once I was able to get to the "full liquids" phase, I was MUCH better off than Clear liquids... Hope this helps! :lol0:

I also just discovered Jay Robb (my personal fav) has unflavored Protein as well... I'm going to try it, and will let you know how it goes.

Is there anything that has high Protein that you can take easily without the horrible taste. I am still swollen from surgery so I can't get my Protein from meat yet. All the drinks I have tried are disgusting. It takes all of me to gag them down. I wish there was a pill. Is there a pill!!!! :thumbup:

Hi Saulzy2433,

I hate anything milk based and even the idea of shakes turn me off. I did find Weider Good 2 Go individual packets in 2 flavors (Lemon Iced Tea and fruit Splash) that I find tolerable. They have 20 mg protein.

Sandy

Also, have you considered trying the brown rice Protein? It's not made of milk products and is totally vegetarian, but still has 25 grams of protein per serving? I'm going to try it!

My trick for getting down the Protein bullets was to mix it with Water... that tones down the flavor and sweetness. Plug nose and get it down. Having been through three bariatric related surgeries I can say with certainty, the Protein is one of if not THE most important post-surgical element. It sucks, but everything functions around that... healing of wounds, internal healing, skin, hair and organ function, etc.

The first couple of weeks are VERY hard, at least they were for me... but now, I'm holding on fine. Once I was able to get to the "full liquids" phase, I was MUCH better off than clear liquids... Hope this helps! :smile1:

I had my first bullet today......I WAS GOING TO DIE!!!! It was the most disgusting thing I ever had lol. I read online somewhere it was like liquid Jello hahahah yeah right. I will have to try watering it down. I am going to try maybe doing the powders in a yogurt. I think other than the flavor the grittiness really bothers me. Is there anything smoother? I probably just need to suck it up and drink the stuff, but I don't want to for the rest of my life deal with gross stuff!!! Lol.

You won't have to do ALL of this liquid-only Protein stuff forever, just keep reminding yourself of that. Some days I do have a hard time choking down a shake, but I just tell myself "that's what I have to do to get skinny AND keep my hair!" LOL. The protein really is important... do try mixing it with Water, it really helps. :001_rolleyes:

My favorite has been the Isopure Ready-to-drink bottles. They are a clear liquid with 40g of Protein per bottle. They taste like watered-down Kool-aid. GNC and Vitamine Shoppes have them in a cooler so you can buy one of several flavors to find one you like. I tried about 4 flavors and found one I like the best. They are 1000 times better than the bullets. Those made me gag! I tried the powered Isopure, but didn't care for it. I'd rather pay a little more for something I will actually use.

Protein has been a challenge for sure. I like the Atkins Lo-Carb shakes. They are 11oz and have 15 grams of Protein and 4grams (1 gram net) carbs. I usually sip on one of these immediately when I wake up until I finish it about 2 hours later.

I also like the Nutrilite Meal Replacement shakes from Amway/Quixtar. They are also 11oz and have 15g of protein. Their carbs are higher tho at 15g, 12 net.

I just bought a box of the Premier chocolate Protein shake at costco. They don't taste as good - have a strange aftertaste, but after I watered it down with a couple of ice cubes it was doable. They have 30g of protein and only 5/3 carbs so I really wanted to try them.

I have tried a couple of protein powders. The one I liked the most is also a Nutrilite product. One scoop has 45 calories, 1 carb and 10 protein. I usually mix in a scoop with my warm farina Cereal at 10am.

good luck finding something you like!

can so relate! on day 5 clear. I bought a bunch of samples so I am trying them out. Got down a whole bottle of Isopure green tea yesterday. Just made a blended nectar "roadside lemonade' Yuksville threw it out! drinking Isopure chicken Soup right now, yes it is salty but I like it. Going to get some chicken/turkey broth today and mix unflavored injury in it. Put a 1/2 scoop of unflavored injury in my tea this am, couldn't finish it but got down 5 gms worth of Protein.

I made myself excel spreadsheets for each of the 10 days so I can monitor my progress. I KNOW once I can have full liquids I will fare better. Since I had a revision I get the first part of the journey.

(I going to try and PM you the spread sheets)

Hang in there WE CAN DO THIS!!!!

D.

If I knew how to do a Excel spreadsheet .... LOL. I can do basics but have never taken the time to learn how to assign values, etc.

There are probably lots of websites to choose from but the one I have been using is www.sparkpeople.com. Mainly because it is an app on my droid phone so it makes it easy to update from my phone or laptop.

It does really help to see what you are eating and the amounts of calories, Proteins, ect in the foods. I am certainly thinking much more about what I am eating. Prior to surgery, I had only counted carbs - it was the only type of diet that "almost" worked for me : )