Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Self pay from Tx!Cheap Dr.?

I have been thinking about getting the Sleeve done and my insurance wont pay for it. I will b useing my tax return for some of it and financing the rest of it. If someone could be kind enough to tell me of some of the Dr's who might have a cheaper price and maybe someone that got financed for it that has ok credit? I dont know if I will even get approved with financing that's why I need a cheaper Dr., that way I can still afford it with out the finance. Im about 100lbs over weight. I feel bad about my self, I cant seem to breath right, I cant play with my 5 yr old son(he has a disability) so its hard for me to do things that he can do while im so big. The other day I knew I needed to get some help with weight loss because I had really bad thoughts. So, I just need help to find a good Dr. that dont cost to much. I have no problems going to Mexico. Thank you!

First and foremost, if you are having bad thoughts, I think your first stop should be with a therapist. WLS is a huge huge thing and it will help to talk it out with someone to keep those bad thoughts at bay in this process.

I really am an honest believer in that you get what you pay for. So please research all aspects of a surgeon before committing to them. This is your life we are talking about-which is worth so much more than a few thousand dollars.

I had my surgery done on Jan. 14th with Dr. Jayaseelan in Dallas but I went through TLC Edge. Here's their website http://www.tlcedgesurgicalweightloss.com/. I could not have asked for better service. I paid $10,990, Dr. Jay was wonderful, and the nurses at the facility were AWESOME! They pampered me so much that I thought I was in a resort. We financed through Carecredit. You should check it out. I couldn't have asked for a better doctor.

Thanks so much gals! I probably should clairify what I ment when I said I was having bad thoughts. I dont mean like death or anything, more like I hate my self for letting me get this big, and I will never be able to date if I dont lose some weight, and what if the kids at my sons school make fun of him for me being fat.

Marci, if you dont mind me asking, did you finance the whole thing and what are you payments. You could email me if you dont want to share or you dont have to share at all. Thank you for yall's help!

Hi Krystl and welcome to VST.

I hope you are able to get some pricing from people who have used surgeons in the Dallas area.

I'm just going to throw this out there, but please don't choose a surgeon solely based on price. Consider all of his/her experience, the after-care, and support system that is provided.

I know how difficult it is to be obese, and wondered all of those same things about dating, my son's friends making fun of him, but you have to learn to love yourself. This surgery is a great tool, but I won't sugarcoat it and tell you that it's easy. There are many ups and downs, and emotions that go along with it. Many successes but there are tough days.

Dr. Nick Nicholson is my choice of surgeon for Dallas just based on his experience, and reviews from many patients.

I'm originally from TX, and if the Air Force ever sends us there, he will be my top choice as an after care provider.

Thank you for not sugarcoating it for me. Im still researching everthing and dont have a date yet. I might never get a date set! lol. I will look into seeing about Dr.Nick. I work for some doctors and I know that even with all the degree's they have, they have really bad bed side maners. Anything that will help me pick someone over the next few months will help out. Thank you for the welcome!:thumbup:

I had the choice to use Dr. Nick through TLC Edge also. I've heard he's a wonderful doctor.

I choose Dr. Jay because he was known as one of the top bariatric surgeons in Dallas. It's very important that you take your time & research EVERYTHING. I lurked around this forum forever before making this life changing decision. You can find out a lot of information on here through everyone. They are really informative and awesome people.

Good luck on your decision and do what's right for you!

Krystl-

I used Dr. Zapata in Monterrey, Mexico for my band surgery and loved him. You can check out his pricing, etc. at www.ready4achange.com. I used Dr. Nicholson for my band removal and sleeve surgery. I had planned to go back to Mexico but decided I needed 2 surgeries to correct what was wrong and just couldn't go to Mexico twice so I researched and chose Dr. Nick. He's great, too. I think he charges 12,200 for sleeve.

I noticed you are from Grand Saline. I livein Commerce. Feel free to PM me if you need to. Good luck!

I have personal friends who have had experience with both Dr Stewart in Denton and Dr. Jayaseelan in Dallas. Both are great surgeons that have done various types of bariatric surgeries for several years. They have profiles over at the obiesityhelp forumns you can read comments on. I personally will be looking to go with Dr Stewart because the hospital and office are just 5 mins from me. My wife had an appendectomy surgery out of the Denton hospital and we really like the facilities there. The price of 10,950 for vsg is very reasonable for self pay patients -- both doctors charge the same. There are less expensive options through Mexico, but it is worth the piece of mind to stay state-side if you already live in this area. I have not found anything less expensive inside the USA yet and these are some great expeienced surgeons.

Has anyone used Dr. Spivak in Houston for the vsg? I have an appointment with him to just "talk" about the procedure. Would love to hear from anyone who has had the sleeve to hear the disadvantages or concerns from it. My family has a lot of questions.

I'm not sure what it means or what difference it makes, but my PCP told me to make sure the doctor I chose practiced at a center of excellence. I'm sure someone here knows! :001_smile:

I have been thinking about getting the Sleeve done and my insurance wont pay for it. I will b useing my tax return for some of it and financing the rest of it. If someone could be kind enough to tell me of some of the Dr's who might have a cheaper price and maybe someone that got financed for it that has ok credit? I dont know if I will even get approved with financing that's why I need a cheaper Dr., that way I can still afford it with out the finance. Im about 100lbs over weight. I feel bad about my self, I cant seem to breath right, I cant play with my 5 yr old son(he has a disability) so its hard for me to do things that he can do while im so big. The other day I knew I needed to get some help with weight loss because I had really bad thoughts. So, I just need help to find a good Dr. that dont cost to much. I have no problems going to Mexico. Thank you!

Hi KrystL, I'm from Tx as well and was sleeved on 12/29/09. . i was self pay and used Dr. Cavazos in San Antonio, his cost was $15,500 for everything, including 3 day stay at the hospital (private hospital) all follow up visits for 1 year, couseling, etc. . . I took out a loan from my bank at 3.37% interest rate which isn't bad. . good luck in chosing your physician, just remember do your research, make sure the doctor you chose has done over 300 of these sleeves before you pick him. . .

I'm not sure what it means or what difference it makes, but my PCP told me to make sure the doctor I chose practiced at a center of excellence. I'm sure someone here knows! :)

SpringerLink - Book Chapter

In 2003, in response to the public perception of dramatic variability in outcomes after bariatric surgery, the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) established a quality assurance initiative known as the Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence (BSCOE). Previously, no minimal standards existed for hospitals or surgeons to perform bariatric surgery. ASMBS established an independent, nonprofit organization known as the Surgical Review Corporation (SRC) to establish quality criteria for hospitals and surgeons as well as to evaluate, certify, and monitor individual hospitals and surgeons. The primary goal of the BSCOE is to allow patients, referring physicians, and health insurance carriers to identify hospitals and surgeons that are performing bariatric surgery at a high standard. The secondary goal is to ensure continued quality improvement in all qualifying BSCOE sites. To qualify as a BSCOE, surgeon practices and hospitals are required to submit documentation supporting the fact that they meet facility and practice standards. All sites must pass a rigorous onsite inspection in order to acquire final approval. In addition, all certified BSCOEs must collect and submit selected outcome data periodically for analysis. The following are the specific requirements for obtaining full approval as a BSCOE.

You'll have to go into the PDF file for the full text.

What Dr did you use? I am looking for one in the Houston area.