Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

nausea has taken over!

as of christmas eve day i have had nausea that is making me wonder if this was the right thing to do! no vomiting, but even the thought of food makes me wince! i have been so so thirsty and even Water makes me nauseous! i had my dad pick up some gatorade today and that, so far, has gone down with no issues. i have some left over nausea meds from surgery and that helps a little, but im really worried about staying hydrated! not so much about being able to eat, just staying hydrated! i plan on calling the doc monday morning but just thought id check in here and see if anyone has an idea whats going on!

Hope, being pre-op, I have no answers. But I did want to come give you a hug and tell you that I'm sorry that you're having a tough time getting in fluids. I think calling the doctor is a great idea. I have read that sometimes dehydration can cause nausea. I hope you wake up tomorrow feeling much better.

Hope, nausea is a viscious cycle in my opinion.

Have you progressed to a new phase in the post-op diet? Did you incorporate a new food? Are you taking a PPI such as Prilosec, Nexium, or Protonix?

Dehydration and acid reflux can both cause nausea. If your urine is dark, or if you pinch the skin on the back of your hand, and it doesn't release back, and snap back quickly you could be dehydrated. I drank quite a bit of the Gatorade G2 because Water was just not cutting it for me.

I know when I progressed my diet, I had to go back to soft solids/mushies a bit longer just because I couldn't tolerate food yet. I tried foods, and they just made me sick so I chose to make my meals out of food I knew I could tolerate.

I really hope you start feeling better soon. Does your surgeon have an answering service where you can leave a message for a nurse to call you back?

I would call as soon as you can just to make sure you are okay.

i havent progressed, if anything i have taken a back step. all i have had to eat in the past 3 days is a tablespoon of cottage cheese each day. i have been worried about the dehydration part. my urine has been a little dark. i am taking protonix and am always thirsty, but it feels like i drink all the time. im sure the doc has an answering service, but i hate to bother the doc on a sunday, if things dont improve by mid-day tomorrow i will call.

Hope I am sorry to hear that. I had a bit of nausea for awhile that came on all of a sudden a few months post op. I got some phenagren and Dr. Campos recommended that I drink the poweraide zero.

I think I would call the dr. if you run out of nausea meds and do your best to stay hydrated with whatever you can tolerate.

I am just like you - I hate to bother people on Sunday. BUT your health is MORE important than disturbing your doctor on something you've been dealing with several days. I bet your surgeon knew when he decided on his career path that he would at times have interruptions on the weekend. I am sure he would much rather you call him and get better, than to worsen even more over another 24 hours.

This is just my opinion.

Hope you're better soon.

i called the doc and they said a virus seems to be going around because they have had several calls about ppl being nauseous. i was told as long as im not throwing up i dont have to worry about being dehydrated! so good news! he said if the nausea continues to call the office and they will call me in something else!

Glad you called. Hopefully you'll feel better soon.

I've had some mild nausea since Christmas day. Yesterday I could only manage a small bowl of cream of wheat in the am and again at night and that was it! This morning not only was I nauseous but I had a Migraine. I got a prescription for Zophran nausea medication in the form of a small tab that melts on the tongue. It helped although I was still only able to eat a small bowl of cream of wheat this morn and a small bit of chicken Soup this evening...I don't know what's going on one day I think I'm doing fine and making progress and the next I'm back to box one! Hope your nausea subsides real soon.

i havent progressed, if anything i have taken a back step. all i have had to eat in the past 3 days is a tablespoon of cottage cheese each day. i have been worried about the dehydration part. my urine has been a little dark. i am taking protonix and am always thirsty, but it feels like i drink all the time. im sure the doc has an answering service, but i hate to bother the doc on a sunday, if things dont improve by mid-day tomorrow i will call.

Girl, your a walking dollar sign to the doctor, so you shouldn't worry about bothering the good ole doc on a sunday, heavens that is what he is being paid for ! What if you are having a little leak or something. . .this is why they are there. . . they chose the career and know what comes with the territory. . .call the doctor hope. . . it could be serious

i actually did call the doc, and posted the result of the convo. as far as a leak goes, im 3 weeks out so i dont think a leak is in the cards at this point. :)

i actually did call the doc, and posted the result of the convo. as far as a leak goes, im 3 weeks out so i dont think a leak is in the cards at this point. :)

I'm so glad you called the doctor! I'm glad nothing too serious! Keep up the good work, and good luck with all you do!:)

Glad you are feeling better, but my surgeon and many other advise that you are at most risk for the first 6-8 weeks while the staple line heals.

Just wanted to give you a head's up. There is also a lady on OH that had a leak 3 months out that went undiagnosed for 4 months.

Leaks happen, and they are extremely dangerous. That is why I am so concerned when people progress their diet too quickly, or overeat (causing vomiting early out)early on because that can all weaken the staple line.

Small food particles of food can get stuck in the staple line, and cause an infection and lead to a leak. It happens, yes the risk is minimal, but it does happen.

I don't quite agree with your doctor's attitude that if you aren't vomiting you can't get dehydrated. If you aren't taking enough fluids in you can also get dehydrated! i'm sure you're staying on top of that and will contact him again if you aren't feeling better within 12-24 hours....right? (dehydration can make you nauseus too).

keeping you in my thoughts and prayers,