Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Perfect Storm

Hello Everyone,

I'm eight weeks out on Thursday and thought I'd share my story.

I felt great, other than the usual post-op pain, for the first two weeks. Then on September 2 it started: diarrhea, dehydration, abdominal pain, loss of appetite, low electrolytes. I received IV and potassium. I felt horrible: tired, weak, lifeless. Doctors said it was normal after surgery.

One week later, my arm started to pain where they had put the PICC line. I had an ultrasound and they found blood clots in my arm. So onto Coumodin and more shots in the abdomen.

One week later, they find a bladder infection. Onto Macrobid again. I was on it for three weeks before my surgery on August 20.

All this time, I'm still having all the previous symptoms. Diarrhea within 20 minutes of eating anything, even Protein Shakes.

One week after that, this past Wednesday, I feel numb from the abdomen to my knees. The ER doctor takes me off the Macrobid. It can cause numbness.

On Thursday, I see my PCP about the contant diarrhea. He says I have pseudomembranous colitis. It's inflammation of the small and large intestines caused by a bacteria over population.

Here's the perfect storm part. I had all the risk factors. No wonder I got it. Risk factors for it are:

• antibiotic use
  • surgery
  • proton pump inhibitors drug use
  • opoid drug use (pain killers)
  • immuno suppressant therapy

Symptoms of pseudomembranous colitis include:

• Diarrhea
  • Abdominal cramps and pain
  • Fever, which may be higher than 101 F (38.3 C)
  • Urge to have a bowel movement (fecal urgency)
  • Pus or mucus in your stool
  • Nausea
  • Dehydration
  • Malaise

I'm getting treatment now and feel better. Just thought I'd give a heads up. If you have these symptoms, don't assume that it's a normal part of healing. I knew something wasn't right. We know our bodies better than anyone else. Listen to it.

Hi Samantha,

You have had a rough time of it. I hope now that it is diagnosed you are on the road to recovery and will start to feel better soon.

Take care of yourself,

Nancy

WOW- Sounds like you've been thru it girl!

I hope you're feeling better now.....Thanks for sharing and keep us posted on how you're doing!

Oh that is terrible. Thank you for sharing this. You could help someone in the future. You have been through so much. Stay strong.

Oh Samantha,

I am so sorry for what you have been through. Please keep us updated on your progress and I hope you get well soon.

Samantha -

Thank you for sharing your story and I hope you are on the road to recovery. What an awful thing to have had to go through - I hope by your sharing your experience that others will be more aware of what their body is telling them.

Keep us posted on your progress, please.

Hi bewitched, I do hope you are well soon. Thanks for explaining what happened to us all. It may save someone else from having to go so far down the road you went.

Jane

Hello Everyone,

I'm eight weeks out on Thursday and thought I'd share my story.

I felt great, other than the usual post-op pain, for the first two weeks. Then on September 2 it started: diarrhea, dehydration, abdominal pain, loss of appetite, low electrolytes. I received IV and potassium. I felt horrible: tired, weak, lifeless. Doctors said it was normal after surgery.

One week later, my arm started to pain where they had put the PICC line. I had an ultrasound and they found blood clots in my arm. So onto Coumodin and more shots in the abdomen.

One week later, they find a bladder infection. Onto Macrobid again. I was on it for three weeks before my surgery on August 20.

All this time, I'm still having all the previous symptoms. Diarrhea within 20 minutes of eating anything, even Protein shakes.

One week after that, this past Wednesday, I feel numb from the abdomen to my knees. The ER doctor takes me off the Macrobid. It can cause numbness.

On Thursday, I see my PCP about the contant diarrhea. He says I have pseudomembranous colitis. It's inflammation of the small and large intestines caused by a bacteria over population.

Here's the perfect storm part. I had all the risk factors. No wonder I got it. Risk factors for it are:

• antibiotic use
  • surgery
  • proton pump inhibitors drug use
  • opoid drug use (pain killers)
  • immuno suppressant therapy

Symptoms of pseudomembranous colitis include:

• Diarrhea
  • Abdominal cramps and pain
  • Fever, which may be higher than 101 F (38.3 C)
  • Urge to have a bowel movement (fecal urgency)
  • Pus or mucus in your stool
  • Nausea
  • Dehydration
  • Malaise

I'm getting treatment now and feel better. Just thought I'd give a heads up. If you have these symptoms, don't assume that it's a normal part of healing. I knew something wasn't right. We know our bodies better than anyone else. Listen to it.

Thank you for sharing your story. I had my surgery 1 week ago and I have been experiencing a cramplike feeling with soreness in my right arm above the area where they put in my IV. I had a big bruise where she had so hard of a time getting the needle to go in right. I am going to go have it checked out tomorrow at my Doctor. I would not want to let it go and find out that it was a blood clot later. Better to be safe than sorry.