Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

:thumbup: People roll their eyes at me when I tell them I'm going to have WLS. You can see it in their faces, "you're old." Yesterday I was with a group and shared my great news, that I had received my date. Out of 15 people, not one said "yay." It was seriously quiet, and as I looked around the table, there wasn't a hint of a smile anywhere. So, moving on, I left the subject hanging. After class one woman came and told me it was imperative I reconsider my decision for WLS. :scared0: I would have thought the long months of preparation, the obvious weight loss, and all the appointments would have demonstrated my commitment. I don't understand why this is so difficult for other seniors to accept. We have a choice in life, to sit and watch it go by, or to get fit and be part of the action. I'm not ready to sit. I dream of all the things I'll do after surgery, like bend over and tie my shoes, ride comfortably in an airplane, not be the biggest person in the room, not have every joint and muscle ache all day and night, play with my grandchildren and buy something in a store, right off the rack. Oooooh that will be wonderful. But the number one reason to do this: to be healthy. :thumbup1: I'm watching my health decline quickly carrying around over 100 pounds of weight I don't need. I struggle with fibromyalgia, all the 'itises', sleepless nights, no energy, high blood pressure, high chololesteral and am pre-diabetic as well. Those are the reasons to have WLS and a new opportunity to experience life again. It's about quality of life, and with VSG I have every opportunity to greatly improve my quality of life. :thumbup:

One of my good friends (73 years old) had WLS the second week of April and is doing wonderfully. She has the gift of long life in her family and said she wanted to live those years at a healthy weight. I'm an RN and I see patients in their 80's coming in for open heart surgery and doing wonderfully. Why should WLS have an age limit? I applaud you for deciding to have a surgery that is going to add quality and quantity to your life and I bet your friends will have a definite change in attitude when they watch you evolve into a "hot" senior!

:001_rolleyes: People roll their eyes at me when I tell them I'm going to have WLS. You can see it in their faces, "you're old." Yesterday I was with a group and shared my great news, that I had received my date. Out of 15 people, not one said "yay." It was seriously quiet, and as I looked around the table, there wasn't a hint of a smile anywhere. So, moving on, I left the subject hanging. After class one woman came and told me it was imperative I reconsider my decision for WLS. :scared0: I would have thought the long months of preparation, the obvious weight loss, and all the appointments would have demonstrated my commitment. I don't understand why this is so difficult for other seniors to accept. We have a choice in life, to sit and watch it go by, or to get fit and be part of the action. I'm not ready to sit. I dream of all the things I'll do after surgery, like bend over and tie my shoes, ride comfortably in an airplane, not be the biggest person in the room, not have every joint and muscle ache all day and night, play with my grandchildren and buy something in a store, right off the rack. Oooooh that will be wonderful. But the number one reason to do this: to be healthy. :thumbup1: I'm watching my health decline quickly carrying around over 100 pounds of weight I don't need. I struggle with fibromyalgia, all the 'itises', sleepless nights, no energy, high blood pressure, high chololesteral and am pre-diabetic as well. Those are the reasons to have WLS and a new opportunity to experience life again. It's about quality of life, and with VSG I have every opportunity to greatly improve my quality of life. :thumbup:

You know, I think that people (society in general) are used to people being fat. Most US citizens are fat, the minority are at a healthy weight. I am absolutely convinced that people do not recognize healthy weight anymore. I have a BMI of 20 and people suggest to me that I am anorexic. ??? I'm a very healthy weight! Yet someone who is a BMI of 30 people do not understand why they want WLS. A BMI of 30 is obese!

Studies show being overweight (BMI 25-29.9) is very dangerous and waiting for problems.

I think our world is just used to fat and it has become the norm. To want to do something about it is unheard of. They just don't get it.

Then you have those that are overweight or obese themselves and they can't or won't do anything about it and they do not understand why someone else would want to do anything about it.

You are doing the right thing, don't let anyone make you feel otherwise. It is YOU that is taking control over this issue. If they do not relate to obesity, or if they are obese and see no reason to fix that problem... that's on them. You have a right to take your life back so do it!

Get your surgery, it will all be soooo worth it!

:001_rolleyes: People roll their eyes at me when I tell them I'm going to have WLS. You can see it in their faces, "you're old." Yesterday I was with a group and shared my great news, that I had received my date. Out of 15 people, not one said "yay." It was seriously quiet, and as I looked around the table, there wasn't a hint of a smile anywhere. So, moving on, I left the subject hanging. After class one woman came and told me it was imperative I reconsider my decision for WLS. :scared0: I would have thought the long months of preparation, the obvious weight loss, and all the appointments would have demonstrated my commitment. I don't understand why this is so difficult for other seniors to accept. We have a choice in life, to sit and watch it go by, or to get fit and be part of the action. I'm not ready to sit. I dream of all the things I'll do after surgery, like bend over and tie my shoes, ride comfortably in an airplane, not be the biggest person in the room, not have every joint and muscle ache all day and night, play with my grandchildren and buy something in a store, right off the rack. Oooooh that will be wonderful. But the number one reason to do this: to be healthy. :thumbup1: I'm watching my health decline quickly carrying around over 100 pounds of weight I don't need. I struggle with fibromyalgia, all the 'itises', sleepless nights, no energy, high blood pressure, high chololesteral and am pre-diabetic as well. Those are the reasons to have WLS and a new opportunity to experience life again. It's about quality of life, and with VSG I have every opportunity to greatly improve my quality of life. :thumbup:

I am so happy that you have made the decision to move forward with WLS. I am sorry that you did not get support from your group. I am 64 and had sleeve surgery in April. I am doing fine and I'm sure when you go forward with this you will too. You are in control of you and you can come here for all your support and answers to any question you might have. Keep us posted.

I'm laughing as I write, a "hot senior"....what a thought!! I've never been "Hot" in my lifetime, unless you count post-menopausal flashes, lol. You are absolutely right. I had never thought of it until you said it, but seniors have surgery all the time and recover, and by golly, why not WLS? Terrific thought, and much appreciated.

Thanks for your post. There's a lot there that is very encouraging. I saw the woman this morning at church that made the big fuss out of my having surgery. I hugged her, said hello, and left it at that. I think she knows that my mind is made up, and come July 2, a whole new kind of freedom is going to begin for me. But I won't forget what you said. I find your words very reassuring.

Carol, you are absolutely correct when you say I am in control of myself. I certainly can't change others, but I can change myself, and I shall. I'm quite excited at the moment and up for the challenge.

I turned 65 three weeks after my surgery. I have a lot of life left in me and I'm not living it overweight any more. I want to be the hot Grammie. lol

I think it is wonderful that you both had weight loss surgery. There is no age limit on wanting to be healthy. I can't imagine why people wouldn't be happy for you.

I am home from the hospital, a few more bumps in the road there with extreme nausea and heart issues. But, I was determined to get well fast, and I'm doing it. I'm on full liquids, purees next week. The diet is pretty boring, but its only a couple of weeks. I am healing slowly, so there might be a case for the nay sayers, but succeed I will!!!

I didn't bother telling very many people. It's way more fun to just get thinner and keep it to myself. I don't have the patience for negativity.

While that would be my preference too OregonDaisy, I am in a very public forum 24/7. I am happy for you that you can make that choice, its got to be sooooo much fun watching people react and wonder what's up with you.

Doghouse, I hope you are well on the road to recovery. I had difficulty my first month, but once I got past it, everything was wonderful. Take care of yourself. I am excited to follow your weight loss journey, as I am sure many others are.

I will be excited to follow your progress as well. I hope all the bad is behind you and only great things lie before you from here on out.