Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Classic, new diet pill

I didn't catch the name of it, but today I saw a special interview with the CEO of a company that is in test trials of a new weight loss drug.

It was on the financial side of the stock going up on news of the trials being successful.

Here is the punch line. You guys will love it. They are calling a 5% average weight loss in 50% of the patients as successful. They have been on the medicine for like 6 months. Good god, that is horrible.

On top of that, they were bragging about how it works a lot like the Phen/Phan combination, but they are seeing no heart valve problems with it like the Phen/Phan. Are you kidding me!!!! The stock is up on news like this?

I didn't catch the name of it, but today I saw a special interview with the CEO of a company that is in test trials of a new weight loss drug.

It was on the financial side of the stock going up on news of the trials being successful.

Here is the punch line. You guys will love it. They are calling a 5% average weight loss in 50% of the patients as successful. They have been on the medicine for like 6 months. Good god, that is horrible.

On top of that, they were bragging about how it works a lot like the Phen/Phan combination, but they are seeing no heart valve problems with it like the Phen/Phan. Are you kidding me!!!! The stock is up on news like this?

Amazing.

I still think WLS stats are horrible, bypass is successful if you lose 50% of your excess weight. How is that a success? I mean, it's better than nothing, sure! But I wouldn't be happy with that.

Amazing.

I still think WLS stats are horrible, bypass is successful if you lose 50% of your excess weight. How is that a success? I mean, it's better than nothing, sure! But I wouldn't be happy with that.

True, however, people will grasp at anything to try and lose weight, that's why the diet industry is multi-million dollar industry ... everyone looking for the quick fix. The magic pill that will do the work for them; they still don't realize that everything is a tool ... THEY still have to do the work ... for some that doesn't sink in for quite some time, if ever.

Speaking of dumb pills. Whenever a discussion of diet pills comes up, you get the "fastin" add out on the side.

Just to be clear, this is NOT prescription Fastin. It is in reality just a caffeine pill, and some other useless stuff.

Real prescription fastin, is a proprietary formulation of phentermine.

They should develop a pill that KILLS gherlin!

They should develop a pill that KILLS gherlin!

I asked my surgeon about just that. He said researchers have been able to block gherlin but it doesn't reduce hunger. So now they believe gherlin is more of a "marker" than a hormone/receptor interaction. The only way to reduce your hunger, is remove the part of the stomach that makes the gherlin. I have always dreamt of a "pill" that prevents one from getting hungry and helps the body burn fat with no side effects. As a pharmacist, I know better, but I can dream. :biggrin0:

I guess I am back to the old physics of burning more calories than I consume. Bummer! :sad0:

I asked my surgeon about just that. He said researchers have been able to block gherlin but it doesn't reduce hunger. So now they believe gherlin is more of a "marker" than a hormone/receptor interaction. The only way to reduce your hunger, is remove the part of the stomach that makes the gherlin. I have always dreamt of a "pill" that prevents one from getting hungry and helps the body burn fat with no side effects. As a pharmacist, I know better, but I can dream. :001_smile:

I guess I am back to the old physics of burning more calories than I consume. Bummer! :thumbup:

Obesity is such a complex disease and I doubt that miracle pill will be developed in my time. I second your "bummer".

Linda, I am with you on that idea, with all of the technology we have today, someone should be able to come up with something, but then again, all of the surgeons doing WLS may lose some income. Think there is a conspiracy? JK

Some seminar I went to, the surgeon said that in most treatments, surgery comes first and drug treatments come later. Now that we know more about the hormones involved in obesity, I think a non-surgical treatment is actually possible. But it's going to take a while.

i was wondering about this,(that's how i stumbled upon this thread) has anyone who had the sleeve considered taking a prescription diet pill like(phentermine)? is that possible? cause i actually took phentermine for about a month last year and it really did control my hunger-which was a big shock for me. but i'm getting my sleeve in a month. do anyone think phentermine could help control hunger even more especially with the small size of the stomach? or do you think it would be pointless? if so why?

and btw- does anybody notice how evil the word ghreline sound? and at 1st glace it looks (and sound) like the word gremlin. and it's weird cause when i 1st heard of the word and learned what it is, i automatically imagined a little gremlin living in my stomache -not gizmo(i'm talking the evil clone gremlins that popped out of gizmo when he got wet)and it's sending messages to my brain telling me to eat a whole batter of fresh backed chocolate chip Cookies and add some extra pecans too.

You aren't going to need to take something to control your hunger. The sleeve does that for you. Your ghrelin will be close to zero and every time you eat, your vagus nerve will send a signal to your brain saying you are full. So you'll have two methods of hunger control going for you.

I am 4 weeks out and not hungry. I have some "head" hunger but it so much easier to ignore. I never was a sweets person but they really look bad to me now. I can't waste my precious stomach space on a piece of cake, I need it for Protein. Trust me I doubt you will need any pills after surgery.

Where can you get phentermine anyway?

Doctors don't like to prescribe this.

There is a medication that I take for sleep but I only take it once a week because it makes me want to eat like crazy the next day. I have some Mau Hung from a long time ago that is an appetite suppressant and I took one of those on Monday just because I knew I would have head hunger all day. You can't even order that online anymore.

Please folks, you don't want to take phentermine, I was hooked on it for over 1 year, yes it stopped my hunger, yes it worked pretty good, BUT, be prepared for insomnia, irratability, mood swings, etc. . . and when I came off it, oh my gosh! Let me tell you, tremors galore, and headaches out of the gazoo, want to talk about gremlins and gizmo things! Well they actually exist coming off phentermine! And guess what?? The weight I had lost (100 lbs) all came flying back on even though I didn't change my habits or exercise program. . . here it all came back on. . . it's a bitter/sweet drug with dire consequences. . . the choice is yours but this is what happened to me. . . I'm glad i'm off it and will never look back.