Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared after reading

I couldn't sleep I made the decision to have the band have my consult in two weeks and then spent all last night reading about complications and problems now I am second guessing my decision. It seems like a lot of the posts even the success stories here are filled with problems.

I am very limited in how much time I can take off and really afraid of the cost of these problems :( and extremely afraid of problems in general

Stacey you have to weight the good over bad.. it is a big decision for sure and exploring all the possibilities is a good thing.. however, don't get caught up in the what if's.. What if you don't have the surgery? What if you do have it? my decision was based on my previous attempts to lose weight and my health ... I was nervous as well, but after attending seminar's and talking with my surgeon my determination to get healthy and feel good about myself was strengthened... I have not had one problem.. If you do what your Dr. tells you and follow the nutritional guidelines you will be successful.

sharpie (as normal) made a great point.....

let me say that yes things do happen *as with all things in life*

i could walk into the hallway and get run over by a herd of pink zebras

and yes sometimes complications arise from faulty doctors, lap bands, surgery issues and more often than not, the patient....you cant spend the rest of your days wondering.....i did that........and if i would have decided not to, i can guarantee damn bet you i would be over 400+ and nearly immobile because of my large size that i started out as.....no question.....

the dr will give you instructions on how to use the band for best results..follow it to the letter.....and do the best you can....and if you do, i bet, i just, bet you will do fine....

PS: if something happens to my band and it has to come out or whatever, i will never blame the band or become a neg nellie as the band has gave me my life back....it truly has.......i want you to feel like that also...((happy))

Stacey,

I am having surgery tomorrow. The process began for me on May 28th. Since that moment I became a member here and there were quite a few times I almost backed out because of things I read on this forum. I took all of my concerns and questions and HEADED RIGHT BACK TO MY SURGEON (some questions were great and some probably silly)...but he answered them all and my surgery was never cancelled.

There are many many MANY stories on this forum and a lot of WONDERFUL people here that have success and yes, some bumps along the way. I look at it this way....nothing in life is 100% full-proof, I need to do this for myself and my family. After surgery, if things arise (and I certainly hope they don't) I will handle them (with my doctor) as they come up.

Weigh your options for banded life and staying as you are now and i beg you to please go back to your doctor to clear up any concerns you have.

Either way you decide I wish you ALL the best and hope that this has helped you in some way!

I've done this and chickened out before now I am at the highest weight ever in my life. I have just fought cervical cancer and want to live life to the fullest :( really hoping I find the strength to go thru with this I went to the seminar and felt educated didn't start to doubt myself till reading the posts here.

I've done this and chickened out before now I am at the highest weight ever in my life. I have just fought cervical cancer and want to live life to the fullest :( really hoping I find the strength to go thru with this I went to the seminar and felt educated didn't start to doubt myself till reading the posts here.

I understand the part about reading the forum here....as for the rest you've already been through a lot....keep moving forward and see how it goes....

wishing you all the best!

I couldn't sleep I made the decision to have the band have my consult in two weeks and then spent all last night reading about complications and problems now I am second guessing my decision. It seems like a lot of the posts even the success stories here are filled with problems.

I am very limited in how much time I can take off and really afraid of the cost of these problems :( and extremely afraid of problems in general

Don't be afraid, but cautious and take this time to learn as much about the lap band as you can. Many newbies come here and don't realize it can take several fills before they get into the green zone.

Some never researched their surgeon, complication, revision rate, and aftercare, THOSE are the most important things you need to worry about right now, your surgeon is your first defensive against complications, NOT what you really read on these boards.

Many people come here when they are in trouble, or not following rules, etc, or not doing their homework on how the band works, many don't even have a post op plan of nutrition, exercise, or have a clue of what they are suppose to do, they are just waiting on fills and the band to "automatically work".

I got the band because it was the safest of ALL weight loss surgeries, and it can be adjusted or removed if necessary.

My band gave me my life back, and changed my life, I lost over 130 pounds with it and kept that weight off for many years, my band DID ITS job, but I also worked my band by following rules, seeing my surgeon when needed, exercise, etc....

The band just like ALL surgeries comes with risk, losing weight and getting healthy outweigh any potential complications for many people.

Realizing the band is a tool, and not a miracle wand and knowing upfront what you have to do will lead you to a successful band journey...

There will probably be bumps in your journey, nothing is perfect, but again don't focus on complications, focus on working your band following the rules, learning what the green zone is and staying in it throughout your banded life and you should not have many worries....

Things can happen without your fault, the band can erode, you can develop a hernia, your body my reject the band, but these things are VERY RARE....

Most of the complications with the band are preventable and not serious, and can be treated and managed as long as you follow up with your surgeon timely.

Again research your surgeon, learn how the band work, go to seminars, meet others in person who is banded, seek someone to mentor you if you are feeling scared....

I've had two bands, I am almost 8 years post op, loved my old band and love my new band, I developed a hernia last year in my 7th year, had the hernia repaired, old band removed and new band put in all in one surgery and I was in good hands with a very skilled surgeon....

I would do the band over and over again, if necessary every few years as long as I don't have horrible complications and my insurance pays for it.

Good luck!

There are risks of complications with any surgery. But, there are also complications and risks of remaining obese.

For me, it came down to tough logic: If I remained fat, I was almost guaranteed a life cut way too short. Diabetes, high blood pressure, heat disease, sleep apena, etc. All that and more were in my future. I knew there were risks in Lap Band surgery but I also knew statistically speaking there were much higher risks in staying morbidly obese. Complications from the Lap Band were very unlikely to kill me but complications from obesity most likely would.

That was how I decided. Best wishes on whatever you decide is best for you.

Hi Stacey, I am pre-band as well and when I first started reading stories here I became nervous too. When I kept reading over the course of a few months, though, I began to be able to see the patterns -- for instance some one recently banded was in a panic thinking the band had to come out. When she went back to the surgeon they found she needed a different kind of Protein -- there was a dairy sensitivity and that was the extreme discomfort. That's just one example of the kinds of things that at first seem extreme but are easily resolved. Actual port problems or difficulties with fills, etc. seem to be very rare and I think band replacements are about people from a while back and the bands are different now, improved materials. I'm choosing the band because I know I can't get the weight off otherwise. I am excited and while I've been frustrated by the time it's taken my hospital to get me through the process (still at it!), this has given me time to really study up. I am listening to the successful people and taking note as I intend to be one of them one day. I also notice the people who aren't really ready and when they get banded they are not prepared mentally. Participating in this forum is a great way to ready yourself in that way. Good luck with all and very best wishes!

I just would like to say I've had no problems (I'm a new bander) its harder than I thought to be strict its not a magic cure but it had saved my life. I didn't have any medical weight related issues, but couldn't wash myself properly, wipe myself properly, fly, touch my feet etc etc. the risks of surgery for me were very real I have anaesthetic allergy..however I chose the best surgeon I could. I can look after myself now and if I hadn't been brave I would of just got fatter and the problems would've come. I was terrified until I was actually put to sleep... But no regrets.

No one should influence your decision but its the best thing I've done for myself....

Sent from my GT-S5830 using LapBandTalk

Amazing support from everyone here!

For every complication you read about there are so many other successes. When I was doing research about WLS, I checked out everything. Including other types of WLS. I personally knew and had friends and family with gastric by pass and sleeves.

I interviewed Surgeons, and inspected hospitals before I was ready to commit 100% to this procedure. I have seen first hand how traumatizing and life altering other WLS can be, as well as how life saving and victorious those surgeries can be. The same can be true for the band.

However, even with all the complications I read about the band..it was the safest way to go for me. I have friends who have been banded have found amazing success and yes even one who had complications never lost any weight and had her band removed.

I can say those banded friends, are both alive and doing well in their lives. I could not say the same for those I knew who had other WLS, so that really helped influence my choice.

Friend you have been through so much already, so i know your a strong person and would do well with any choice you might make.

Rock on! and be well!!!

The band can definitely be a pain in the ass. I'm not going to lie. I would definitely look at all of the surgery options out there. The band is a great tool but it has its risks and its shortcomings. As many in here will remind you, so do most surgeries. Overall I'm happy with my results but if I had to do it again I would definitely consider my options. I'm very interested in seeing how the sleeve turns out after more years under its belt. I've heard it's a good alternative but it might be too early to judge its results. I don't think you should jump into this without realizing that there are downsides and you may have to live with them the rest of your life. The upside is the possibility of losing a bunch of weight and keeping it off which I could never do on any diet I tried before. Good luck on your journey!