Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I haven't really said anything to anyone about actually getting the lap band... Just curious how to tell people.... I ask because I can't help but feel like I won't have the support from everyone... I have a friend I told I was trying to get the surgery and first thing out of her mouth was I was crazy and I just don't need that!! I was hurt, when I explained it to my mother she was just not supportive like I thought she would be... I feel like she gets angry and wants to make everything seem worse than what it really is!! :( just feeling like I have no support from the people that mean so much to me!! I have to do for me ultimately but would like the support from family and friends!

I went through the same issues with some people. I had the hardest time with my godmother. She was strictly against it. I have been very open bout my plans and I had to just tell her I understand she is against it however it is my decision and I'm ok if she doesn't support it. I have alot of support from others and I hope one day she will be ok with it. She then called and said after some thought she realizes I'm not the kind if person who doesn't do their homework and that she believes I'm an intelligent woman who looked at every pro and con. Now 3mnths post op she is very supportive. Good luck in your journey. This is for you and the people who love you will support you maybe not right away but they will come around.

I told my family initially. I was going to have the surgery in December but i broke my ankle (long story) so i postponed being banded. After i cancelled it so many of my family members were relieved and started telling me how glad they were that i didn't go thru with it. My sister even said she was glad because she wasn't losing her diet buddy and she didnt want to be the only "fat sister". So recently I was banded on Feb. 22. Only my husband knew and i told my parents a few days before because we needed help with the kids. They were still a little skeptical but figured i was doing it either way. Now my family has all found out because we all know how well secrets are kept amongst family members ;) It seems as tho they have realized it would have been better to be supportive from the get go because they felt awful that i had gone into surgery without their support or even their knowledge of it. They are coming around and asking more questions than ever.

Do what you know will improve you, others will learn to deal with it sooner or later.

I told my family initially. I was going to have the surgery in December but i broke my ankle (long story) so i postponed being banded. After i cancelled it so many of my family members were relieved and started telling me how glad they were that i didn't go thru with it. My sister even said she was glad because she wasn't losing her diet buddy and she didnt want to be the only "fat sister". So recently I was banded on Feb. 22. Only my husband knew and i told my parents a few days before because we needed help with the kids. They were still a little skeptical but figured i was doing it either way. Now my family has all found out because we all know how well secrets are kept amongst family members ;) It seems as tho they have realized it would have been better to be supportive from the get go because they felt awful that i had gone into surgery without their support or even their knowledge of it. They are coming around and asking more questions than ever.

Do what you know will improve you, others will learn to deal with it sooner or later.

You are always going to find people who are against any weight loss surgery. I tell everyone so they can see the success I have been. Then they can't say one thing bad to me now. I think people are afraid to tell people that they had surgery in case they fail at it but that should just be more incentive to make you prove them wrong.

I haven't really said anything to anyone about actually getting the lap band... Just curious how to tell people.... I ask because I can't help but feel like I won't have the support from everyone... I have a friend I told I was trying to get the surgery and first thing out of her mouth was I was crazy and I just don't need that!! I was hurt, when I explained it to my mother she was just not supportive like I thought she would be... I feel like she gets angry and wants to make everything seem worse than what it really is!! :( just feeling like I have no support from the people that mean so much to me!! I have to do for me ultimately but would like the support from family and friends!

why tell anyone? its your business and if you wanna share then by all means share...there is alot of people out there who have no idea what the band or any WLS for that matter actually is or what it is about (only the quick/easy fix). ..yeah right on the quick/easy fix part.

so dont worry about what could or could not be said...i have found those who say negative just dont know what it is or understand how it works....i told people at work and my hub.....and if someone asks me today why i got it, i merely say to save my life and that is exactly what it did...

I have told like 7 people my 3 best friends, my old work out partner at work, one other person at work, and 2 others who I do volunteer work with at my church who needed to know. I decided bit to tell, when u heard the first negative comments. I told my boss today I needed off for medical test, which was no lie. On surgery day, I will make up another medical test reason to take off I guess.

U have support right here with me if you need it. Friends don't get it probably because they have never had a weight issue or u have an overweight friend that is jealous that u r able to do this and she can't for some reason. Girl hold that head high and shine like a diamond!! Be proud of yourself. If u have any questions or just wanna chit chat, I'm here!! ???˜

Thank you so much!! I'm going in for my EGD this morning! Kind of nervous but hoping everything comes out great! :) thnx again!!