Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

MONSTER hiatal hernia

I was banded yesterday 2/5. Everything went well but my surgeon told my husband that I had the WORST hiatal hernia he had ever seen. Ever. In 1350 lapband surgeries. Rather dubious distinction, heh. At first I was feeling pretty bad about it, like "what's wrong with me that I have th worst hernia ever?" But then I remembered that at 4'10" I had a 10lb baby, which could have been a big factor (pun intended). Still. Dr. said I would have had to have it repaired anyway, but I was asymptomatic. Has anyone else had a REALLY BAD hernia with no symptoms. I'm going to call him today to see if there are any special things I have to do to heal from that. Have any of you had to make changes due to a hiatal hernia?

OMG! I had the same thing, I'm 15 days post op and finally feeling alittle better. I had REALY bad chest pain I pray that yours is not painful.

Wow glad that you weren't in any pain kinda scary to have no clue but thank God its gone! My Mom had one removed from what I know pregnancy and or delivery can cause those as well as many other things! Wishing you a well recovery! :)

I find out in a few weeks when I get scoped if I have one. It will determine if my ins will pay for part of my surgery or not.

my dr told me when I woke up that I had one. I did not even know I had one. wasn't even sure what it was. but he fixed it and I am happy about that.

I had one too without knowing. Doc fixed it so hopefully that is that. Don't know where it came from, but I have given birth to 4 children and I am always lifting heavy things so who knows. Just glad its fixed. :-)

I also had one, and didn't know what it was. I am sooo happy it was repaired though. I had bad reflux and never knew that was the cause. No more reflux yay!!!

I had one, but I don't know how large it was. It was fixed during surgery. My mom has one that is massive. 1/3 of her stomach is pooched up through her diaphragm and is causing tons of issues. She has reflux (the worst the ph test has ever seen and she had it done at Duke), she has pain, she is sick a lot and can't eat. She has lost 70 lbs in a year from not being able to eat from the nausea and pain. She goes in to have surgery on it on the 18th of Feb. The surgeon who placed my band also does these and was willing to do her sx also, thank goodness.

I had one repaired with the band. I was being treated for years for COPD and after many tests showed the hernia. I took 6 pills a day to eat and take zero now. My stomach was also in the wrong place and was moved down.

I also had one repaired when I got my band. It wasn't a large one, but still. I wasn't told anything special about it, just don't lift anything heavy and to keep walking. I remember my recovery was very painful, they said it was because of it

I just got banded on the 7th and my Dr. told my husband I had one also. It made sense to me when I think about all the heart burn and reflux I was having before surgery.

I was banded yesterday 2/5. Everything went well but my surgeon told my husband that I had the WORST hiatal hernia he had ever seen. Ever. In 1350 lapband surgeries. Rather dubious distinction' date=' heh. At first I was feeling pretty bad about it, like "what's wrong with me that I have th worst hernia ever?" But then I remembered that at 4'10" I had a 10lb baby, which could have been a big factor (pun intended). Still. Dr. said I would have had to have it repaired anyway, but I was asymptomatic. Has anyone else had a REALLY BAD hernia with no symptoms. I'm going to call him today to see if there are any special things I have to do to heal from that. Have any of you had to make changes due to a hiatal hernia?[/quote']

I just had surgery on the 14 the doctor found out I had a hiatal and umbilical hernia. I am in pain. The plan was to be ready to go back to work on restrictions. Well all I do is take pain meds and sleep. The hiatal was so bad I now have four screws and mesh material holding my abdominal muscles together. This feel crazy. I sneezed today and almost died from the pain. I'm glad they repaired them. Just wish I would've known so o could be prepared for such pain and this much time off

It just amazes me when I read this ... How many of us have been found to have this during our band surgeries .., has to be a record ... Or a very common thing to have lol

Same here. hernia was the worst my Dr. Has ever seen ( must be what they tell all of us smh lol) I'm 3 weeks post ip and the first 2 1/2 weeks was really bad. I thought something was wrong I thought I was dying but I'm walking normal now. Getting out of bed and down on the floor with the babies is still hard, but I can breathe a lot easier and my heart burn has gotten better