Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

350 Pound Woman Falls Through Side Walk.....

This could have happened to anyone, but the comments/feedback this woman has to endure is beyond vicious and just down right cruel! I am outraged and it’s just another reminder of how insensitive people are towards the overweight!

Full Story: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/350-pound-woman-falls-upper-east-side-sidewalk-article-1.1238869

350 pound woman falls through upper East Side sidewalk

Rescue crews were forced to use a crane-like mechanism to pull the woman to safety, authorities said.

An overweight woman was plucked from beneath an upper East Side sidewalk after the concrete cracked and she plunged into a six-foot hole, authorities said.

The 31-year-old was standing near the wall of an Atomic Wings at the corner of E. 60th St. and Second Ave. when the sidewalk collapsed about 9:15 p.m. Friday, authorities said.

Rescue crews were forced to use a crane-like mechanism to pull the woman — who sources said was about 350 pounds — to safety, authorities said.

The woman, who is from Rochdale, Queens, was taken to New York Presbyterian-Weill Cornell Medical Center and treated for minor injuries.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/350-pound-woman-falls-upper-east-side-sidewalk-article-1.1238869#ixzz2HsmGPyzA

O.o Wow. Yep, pretty insensitive!

Oh that is just horrible. People aren't just mean, they're downright ignorant and cruel.

What makes me mad is the fact that newspaper intentionally made a mockery of the woman. If a 200 pound man had fallen through the concrete in front of a barber shop, no mention of the man's weight or the fact he was in front of a barber shop would've been made. It would've said "man falls through sidewalk at corner of 6th and main". But because it's an obese woman, they says "350 pound woman falls through sidewalk in front of Atomic Wngs".

It breaks my heart.

Obviously the concrete was inferior...it could have been anyone standing there when it gave way. Its really unfortunate the paper made such a big deal about her weight.

Being that this is the US....SADLY I bet the ambulance chaser lawyers are lining up for her to file suit against...let's see....the city and the concreate maker...and the newspaper. Hopefully she will use the money wisely.

can hear the fat jokes now.........why i have not tolerance for bashers of any kind

walk a mile in my shoes before you judge....hope lady is okay

It's insanely tragic, irresponsible and sever lack of character on the writers part. Shame on them for not having enough sensitivity and depth to not know that it was superficial and disrespectful to print something like that. I hope someone follows up with that lady and burns the neighborhood papers! So sad! Fast recovery to her

I'm from NY so I was watching the news the day this happened.... I was absolutely mortified for this woman. Come to find out she is my age and around my weight!! The newscaster actually said she is "somewhat of a large person" and I texted my friend about it. Really sad!!

Can't believe the lack of sensitivity with the media. Couldnt they just report the incident and focus on the reason why this concrete gave way? Heck no, that doesn't sell papers, what sells is the degrading of this woman, regardless of whether she is 350 pounds or 150 pounds this is a human being with a heart and feelings like the rest if us creatures on this earth. I can imagine all the fat jokes this poor woman is going to be bombarded with. I just hope she didn't get hurt too badly.

Yes, I saw that she said she felt she was saved because of her fat belly. But the commentator on the air said she probably caused the cavein. I don't agree, I am sure it was inferior concrete. So mean and sad for her! Karen

I didn't read the comments because I have had enough of them to last a lifetime! But obesity is the last safe publicly permitted bigotry. Racism, sexism, homosexual disparagement are not politically correct anymore, but fat people are still allowed. Cause they're weak, and self indulgent. High functioning alcoholics or hot chicks with drug problems are OK because at least they're not FAT.

Society sucks.