Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 days post op - kinda freaking out

Hey all, I had my surgery on Thrusday morning, and had a lot of nausea coming off the anesthesia. Figured it was from the pain meds they gave me while I was waking up. Anyway, I'm sticking to crushed up ibuprofen now, but I still feel like I'm on the verge of vomiting all the time! Not the head-sick vomiting, like it was with the pain killers, but like my stomach is caught in my throat. Seriously. Asked my surgeons NP about it yesterday, but she wasn't at all concerned. Is this just normal? Am I going to feel like my stomach is in my throat for the rest of my life? I am starting to panic a little.

You have a lot of swelling right now and that is probably what you're feeling.

If NP said it was ok, that must be the reason. This will not last too long.

Hang in there!

I had strange feelings after surgery as well, was banded 12-17-12..the gas pressure effects everyone differently....don't panic, I know can feel scary, just be in close contact with your medical team..hope you feel better..:)

Thank you for your kind words! I'm just starting to wonder if I was clear with her about what I was feeling. She started pushing me to take the pain pills when I mentioned it, but it's not a pain-killer kind of pain, just a pressure. How long does it usually take for the swelling to go down?

It took me about 5 full days until my gas pressure went down...but I know the number of days are different. My surgeon said time and walking were the only things that could possibly help the gas go away, I took gas-x, but it didn't help me. I will say, my first week out of surgery, I was constantly on the phone with the clinic, asking questions. Maybe call her again to clarify...

I think I will wait and see, if it's not starting to feel normal by Monday morning I'll call back again.

I was banded on 1/31. I had a lot of swelling (couldn't believe the scale the day after surgery) and nausea upon waking in recovery even though I was wearing a Scopolamine patch and had anti-nausea meds before and after surgery, then the nausea returned on post-op days 2 and 3 enough that I resorted to taking the anti-nausea drugs. I continued taking my liquid Vicodin and then things got better. Swelling is subsiding, nausea is gone, but still sore. The gas pains are the worst part, but I walked, stretched, using a heating pad and a heated massage pad and while I still have a bit of discomfort, it is greatly improved today finally. I had a spot on my right side around to my back that took forever for the gas to move. They give you pain medication for a reason. The longer you wait to take it, the more painful everything becomes and then it's harder to get it under control. If you take it in the beginning as prescribed, it is much easier to manage the pain. The anti-nausea medications are to offset the side effects from the pain medication. Of course you should always check with your physician and follow his/her instructions.

We are not supposed to take NSAIDS with the band. Most doctors recommend Tylenol, and the nliquid is especially good if you have swelling.

you seems to have a lot of gas I think we all did take so Rolaid and use the heating pad and get to pooping quicly that will help more then you know....you will feel this way once in awhile when you food get stuck and take a bit to go down. Feel better soon this is the hardess part but it is so worth it.

They also gave me an anti-nausea patch and medication while I was at the hospital, but they didn't give me any for at home. Lortab, vicodin, oxy - all those have always made me "pukey", and I don't feel like it helps the pain much at all, other than to make me so dizzy and sleepy that I'm totally out of it. Because of this reaction, my Dr prescribed tramadol instead. Probably why they didn't reccomend an anti-nausea; I was reading up on the tramadol, and if you combine them with anti-nausea meds, they can cause seizures! FUN! Same thing with those though - they just make me feel dizzy-nauseated, and don't do anything for the pain. Ibuprofen is my godsend, and both my post-op nurse and my surgeons NP said the ibuprofen would be fine...? Why so much conflicting information!?

I'm really hoping this is just trapped gas. My liquids seem to go down just fine, it's just a really unnerving feeling. And, I wasn't expecting it, so it's a little concerning! I am using gas-X regularly, drinking plenty and moving as much as I can handle (Laps around the living room - woo-hoo!). Havent even had much left shoulder pain at all. Seems it's all just right in my upper chest/throat!

I've yet to poop though... :o Any bright ideas on rushing that along? Isn't Fiber a no-no at this stage?