Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brand new and freaking out....

I was banded on Tuesday, 12/18. I am only two days post-op, am feeling ok physically. I am, however, having some major anxiety and hormonal craziness. I cried today, wondering what I had done, asking myself why, and really regretting my decision. Which is so silly, considering I have been on a 6 month program up until this point. I think part of it is hormonal, but that doesn't change the way I feel.

Has anyone else felt like they made a big mistake right after doing this? I am freaking out that I will never be able to eat food again without feeling instant pain in my chest (I imagine right now it's gas still in my chest giving me those pains). I'm grieving over all the things I'll never get to eat again, even in moderation. I'd love to hear some support and encouragement right now. Thanks.

Everyone goes through the emotional roller coaster one way or another. It is a life changing event. Take a deep breath, relax and you will be fine. You want to be healthier and happier. Now you have the tool to do that.

As long as you follow your doctors orders, learn the band rules and lifestyle you will be a success. You can do this!

Good luck to you and know that we are here whenever you need us.

Honestly...Once I made the decision to get banded I never looked back. I find it a waste of time to dwell on things I cannot change....and since I wanted to lose the weight forever and finally keep it off more than anything else I have ever done... I accepted the drastic measures I took to get there.

#1 take sone gas x regularly. You won't feel so bloated. #2 you never have to give up your favorite foods. You'll learn a lot though trial and error. I had thin crust pizza for dinner tonight. Loved it! I do it about once a week and I'm Dow 50 lbs in 5 months. And NO, I don't workout :). Good luck!

I had mine the day after you and while I haven't had regrets I hear it common. Try ti find a band buddy and wherever you feel down do what you did this time. Come ti these forums & talk it out. Good luck we are rooting for you!

I was banded on Monday and have the same anxieties. My whole process was rather quick with my first appointment being November 8. I did not have to go through a psychiatrist, nutritionist, or Dr. supervised weight loss. My first appointment I was sent to pre-op for an EGD on the 19th and a week later received a letter from my insurance that I was approved. I did Sugar Busters from the Friday after Thanksgiving until surgery on Monday. I had some of the "last supper" syndrome last weekend and ate pizza and a burger. Today is supposed to be my first day on creamy liquids after 4 days on Clear Liquids, but I was starving and started phase 2 a day early. I have not been able to get 64 oz in yet. I am terrified of stretching my band or having it slip. I've been sipping on Protein Shakes and G2 hoping it will make my lightheaded feeling go away.

Banded on the 19th and had a few regret tears too. But mine was over the pain I was in. Started thinking I was an idiot to put myself in that much pain. I was also very tired. But last night I got six solid hours of sleep and am much calmer.

Wish you the best in your recovery.

I think the pain meds make us weepy. I have been crying a bit and feeling overwhelmed since getting banded on 12/19.

Pain meds and anesthesia can leave you weepy and causes hormonal changes. Everyone goes through a bit a second guessing themselves, I know I did. That said, the band is best thing I have ever done for myself and my health. This stage will pass soon and you will be able to eat your old favorites foods, in lower quantities.

Thanks everyone. I am feeling much better both emotionally and physically today. I really appreciate the thoughts!!

I felt the same way a week ago when I got mine and can tell you I am day 6 post op now. I am not 100% but my pity party for 1 has needed. You can do this!!

I felt the same way after surgery. Immediately after waking from surgery I regretted it, but I think that's mostly the pain. I tend to ask myself why I put myself through all this pain and discomfort and then just remind myself that it's for a better and happier life. That usually erases all the bad things