Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Painful Walking. How Do You Do It ?!

Hello, I am in a good place with having to change my diet, but I have to work on changing the lifestyle.

I had just finished physical therapy with my second knee replacement when I decided to re-start banded living.

I weigh 310 (5' 5"). This is WAY too much weight to be placing on prosthetic knees, that's just part of why I decided to try the life again.

I tried to exercise at the gym, but found it way too difficult and painful. I can't walk for a very long distance without my knees hurting and I'm out of breath. I'm not supposed to use a treadmill, but they'd like me to walk. I want to say I can't, but I think I should be trying.

I am mortified of people "seeing" me outside, doing anything let alone walking! I "think" everyone is watching that fat lady waddle for 1/2 a block. It;s being adressed in therapy, but I can't get past it.

My 310lbs is hurting me and my new knees. This shortens the longevity of the prosthetics. I'm only 46.

How can I overcome my fear of walking in public? Oddly, I don't want to do a DVD thing.

If you had knee replacements, how did you work with them and the weight?

You guys have helped me out SO much! I need to change my physical lifestyle. I cringe when I have to walk any lengths.

If you weigh 300 or more, how did you start walking?

Is there someplace to walkthat is not near where you live to avoid the audience?

I feel the sameway when I walk so I walk around a local college where I know no one.

What about a mall to walk in? You look like your shopping while sneaking in exercise.

Wearing cushioned sneakers and don't walk on concrete.

How about a h.s. Track when kids are in classes? Tracks have great cushioning

I started walking at over 400 pounds. It sucked and I felt like a complete moron as I huffed, puffed, and waddled down the street- but I did it.

Honestly, I started going to the end of the street and back. That was seriously all I could walk and I'd be major pain and exhausted when I got back. But, I kept doing it a couple times a week. Over time, my endurance got stronger as my body got lighter. The end of the street went to around the block. Around the block turned to two blocks. Two blocks turned into a half mile. A half mile turned into mile.

Now, I walk about 2 miles with ease. In fact, I truly enjoy it. I find myself even braving the cold and wind because I truly like and need my walks.

It took months to get here but I'm so glad I stuck with it! Don't worry about what anyone else thinks. All that matters is that you are doing something wonderful for yourself.

Here's one of my favorite motivationals because it's SO true!

557724_10151113032251909_2121445979_n.jpg

I started walking at over 400 pounds. It sucked and I felt like a complete moron as I huffed, puffed, and waddled down the street- but I did it.

Honestly, I started going to the end of the street and back. That was seriously all I could walk and I'd be major pain and exhausted when I got back. But, I kept doing it a couple times a week. Over time, my endurance got stronger as my body got lighter. The end of the street went to around the block. Around the block turned to two blocks. Two blocks turned into a half mile. A half mile turned into mile.

Now, I walk about 2 miles with ease. In fact, I truly enjoy it. I find myself even braving the cold and wind because I truly like and need my walks.

It took months to get here but I'm so glad I stuck with it! Don't worry about what anyone else thinks. All that matters is that you are doing something wonderful for yourself.

Here's one of my favorite motivationals because it's SO true!

557724_10151113032251909_2121445979_n.jpg

Thanks Missy, I was hoping you'd reply. :rolleyes:

You mentioned walking to the end of the street. I plan on doing that......actually, Banjo had a great idea (get away from familiar "eyes", like going to a park...Im going to do that) Anyway, you mentioned it got easier as you became lighter. Well, Missy, in all honesty, you are eons ahead of me (and most people) when it comes to weight loss and timely weight loss. My weight loss is slow, I'm barely getting lighter.

I LOVE walking when it's cold out, which it is! I used to walk my previous dog at night, in the snow. We loved it!

Was it really that hard for you? I look up to you because 1. You know what you are talking about. 2. You've lost SO much, and SO fast. 3. You're very diplomatic. :D You make it sound so easy.

Me getting lighter is going to take longer than it does you. I wanna catch up, but I can't!

Thanks Missy, I was hoping you'd reply. :rolleyes:

You mentioned walking to the end of the street. I plan on doing that......actually, Banjo had a great idea (get away from familiar "eyes", like going to a park...Im going to do that) Anyway, you mentioned it got easier as you became lighter. Well, Missy, in all honesty, you are eons ahead of me (and most people) when it comes to weight loss and timely weight loss. My weight loss is slow, I'm barely getting lighter.

I LOVE walking when it's cold out, which it is! I used to walk my previous dog at night, in the snow. We loved it!

Was it really that hard for you? I look up to you because 1. You know what you are talking about. 2. You've lost SO much, and SO fast. 3. You're very diplomatic. :D You make it sound so easy.

Me getting lighter is going to take longer than it does you. I wanna catch up, but I can't!

It was definitely that hard for me. I'm not only battling obesity, but I also have Multiple Sclerosis. When I got my Lap Band surgery in January, I needed a handicapped parking sticker just to make it to the front of the grocery store and then a motorized cart to do my shopping. When I did walk, I used a cane. In fact when I first started going to the end of the street and back I had to use a cane to do it. So yes, it was probably even harder than I'm adequately describing here.

As for my weight loss, yes I did lose a lot fast, but I'm human. Heck, I've been pretty much stuck for a month now and I'm currently experimenting with carb cycling in hopes of kicking my metabolism into working again. It's incredibly frustrating to be at a plateau like this but I know two things- 1. No weight loss is better than a weight gain and 2. It's normal and it'll pass eventually.

Hang in there and don't give up, you can totally do this!

Walk in a pool?

Congratulations on deciding to get restarted with the banded lifestyle! There was a book published here in Australia a few years ago called The Clothesline Diet. It was written by a woman who felt the same as you and started out by walking from her house to her clothesline and back. Over time she lost weight, felt better about herself and was able to get out onto the street etc.

Best wishes.

Okay this is gonna sound crazy but hear me out. I started swimming when I weighed over 365 pounds. I bought myself a fat lady swimsuit with a little dress on it and in the pool I went. The best part about Water exercises is that you are in the Water and no 1 can see your body. I recommend either doing water aerobics because the instructor can help you choose movements that are good for your knees. Or doing lap swimming that you can do at your own pace. For independent water exercise or swimming I highly recommend a waterproof mp3 player. You can find them on Amazon and they make swimming so much better.

Oh and by the way my first day of swimming I had to walk out in front of the swim team that rents part of the pool. So there were about 50 students and 50 parents watching their practice. If I can do that anybody can do it.

I lost about 85 pounds with swimming and dieting before getting the band. While I do not have a new replacement I had a very bad knee for which I was getting injections. From that point I'm down about 155 pounds. I can now do 6 to 7 miles a day of walking

Hello, I am in a good place with having to change my diet, but I have to work on changing the lifestyle.

I had just finished physical therapy with my second knee replacement when I decided to re-start banded living.

I weigh 310 (5' 5"). This is WAY too much weight to be placing on prosthetic knees, that's just part of why I decided to try the life again.

I tried to exercise at the gym, but found it way too difficult and painful. I can't walk for a very long distance without my knees hurting and I'm out of breath. I'm not supposed to use a treadmill, but they'd like me to walk. I want to say I can't, but I think I should be trying.

I am mortified of people "seeing" me outside, doing anything let alone walking! I "think" everyone is watching that fat lady waddle for 1/2 a block. It;s being adressed in therapy, but I can't get past it.

My 310lbs is hurting me and my new knees. This shortens the longevity of the prosthetics. I'm only 46.

How can I overcome my fear of walking in public? Oddly, I don't want to do a DVD thing.

If you had knee replacements, how did you work with them and the weight?

You guys have helped me out SO much! I need to change my physical lifestyle. I cringe when I have to walk any lengths.

If you weigh 300 or more, how did you start walking?

i am 5'2 and started out at 336. bmi well over 60+

i could hardly walk more than 5 feet without feeling like i was dying

i couldnt stand more than 5 min as my knees hurt so bad

but i started walking to my drive way and back..and did it every day

i hate people seeing me and judging and everyone on this forum who

knows me will tell you how i struggle and am slowly getting better

so what did i do

i merely walked as far as i could

a few steps and just went from there

if i hurt, i stop or sit down to rest my knees

so just do what you can with what you have

now 5 months out, i can walk through Walmart and a grocery store

and i walk a block a night now

there was a time 5 months ago i worried could i make it to the bathroom in time

Missy: I'm very sorry to hear of the struggles you've been through, but happy to see that it never broke your Spirit! I took a walk to the end of my block which is only about an eigth of a mile, and that was enough for now. Like you all say, do what you can. I am. I 've been doing more walking as far as shopping, going to appointments, etc. I hope your metabolism kicks in for you real soon!

Honk: I used to go to a hotel pool near my house, but they're gone. I had my big girl suit and didn't care who saw me. Hm, I'm afraid of people seeing me walk but not afraid of people seeing me in a bathing suit. Weird. Anyway, the local pool in my area cost's $540.00 a year to join. I don't and won't have that much $ soon. So as much as I'd LOVE, LOVE to swim, it can't happen.

Carolina: Wow, what an inspiring story! You should be proud of yourself for pushing along. I can always count on you! Like I told Missy, I'm doing an 1/8th mile (estimate). I have an energetic little dog that I'd LOVE to walk, but she has a different view as to how to walk Mommy!

Everybody: Thanks for all your heartfelt advice...I always know when I post here on LBT that I'll walk away with great support.

I started at 377 pounds. I dont have any knee issues but it was a chore to walk more than 5 minutes without sweating and being out of breath, so I started walking to the mailbox and many times as I could... In the evening.

Then I decided I was street ready and I would walk in the evening. For safety I just walked a short distance as many times as i could. After i lost the first 100 i started walking after dinner and it was summer so still daylight out. I would set the alarm on my phone for 15 minutes and turn around when it went off so I was getting in 30 minutes.

Today I could walk all day if I had too.... You will get there.

Best of luck!

Thanks FLORIDAYS... it's refreshing to hear from folks that were over 300, learning to walk all over again. If you guys can do it, then so can I! :D

Thanks FLORIDAYS... it's refreshing to hear from folks that were over 300, learning to walk all over again. If you guys can do it, then so can I! :D

yes you can....one step at a time..

I'm really surprised your orthopedic doc did knee replacement at your BMI. I had WLS so I could meet the requirement of BMI<40 for knee replacement. Rather than walking, how about Water exercise...join the Y and walk in the pool. Less wear and tear on those new knees. Follow dietary guidelines exactly. This is the key. I've lost 75 lb just following the eating plan...very little exercise. Once you begin to lose, you can add walking a little at a time. This isn't about "trying the life". This is about making permanent lifestyle changes, one step at a time. Best of luck!

Yeah, I was surprised he did the replacements, and at my age. But I couldn't walk and my osteoarthritis put me at bone on bone. I tried all the various shots, physical therapy pre-surgey and meds. Nothing was working. Now I have just changed from one type of pain and disability for another.

The YMCA costs $540.00 a year, and I don't have that. But it's my goal, believe me! I was going to switch to the Sleeve, to lose weight quicker (helping my knees out), but I won't do it. I like my band. Slow and steady wins the race in the lapband's case because you change you in that time. If I ever have to lose the band, I'll have at least learned how not to live in that time. Win/Win!