Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Good And Bad

So I am getting lap band surgery in November and I am started to freak out. I have read the good and bad but I want to know peoples personal experience with it. If you had to do it again would you? How was it the first few days after surgery?

Had mine three weeks ago and it wasn't bad at all fear was the worst part

the first few days after surgery can be a bit sore, and uncomfortable, as it should..you had major surgery. However it was not unbearable. I had some gas pain so it was important for me to keep walking in order for the gas to get released. Would I do this again.YES!!! I have not been this weight in over 16yrs!!! and trust me I have tried, cried, and threw as many fits as I could..I tried diets, running, you name it I have done it. So hands down yes!! I do get stuck from time to time but it is a reminder of my food level..and...I am ok with this too!!! Good luck in Nov!!!

Honestly, my first reaction when out iof surgery was 'Why and what the heck did I do!?' i had bad nausea, back pain, was out of it. Until I was off all meds.

But it passed, I was sore and really slow moving for 2 days, each day got better...It was no walk in the park...but with a great support team at home, I made it. I have only 1 regret- telling people I was having the band put it:) good luck too u!!

I would do it again in a heartbeat only sooner. I batted the idea around for almost 3 years before I committed. I had some discomfort for a couple of days after surgery but not bad. Day 4... I felt great! I have not had any problems or complications. I am able to eat anything as long as I eat it slow enough and take small enough bites a of course chew chew chew. That being said, I try really hard to make healthy choices and leave things like bread and Pasta (and sweets of course) alone except for occassionally.

Best choice I've ever made. I've been overweight since I was a child, I'm now 49. I've tried every diet under the sun and after 30 pounds.... I just would put it back on.

The band takes commitment. It is not easy but it is very doable. Get educated about how it "really" works, that's the best advice I could give you!

Good Luck

I would do it again in a minute. Pre band I had lost 100 pounds 3 times in my lie and gained it back. I am a great dieter. My problem was living a very restrictive diet for ever. That mentality was part of my problem While I try to live by the 90/10 rule (eating healthy 90 % of the time); with the band I alble to eat smaller amounts of less healthy foods when I do eat them.

I was one of the lucky ones. NO gas pain post op and only used liquid tylenol for the pain.

The only problems I had was making myself take deep breaths after being extabated, but I always have issues with that and then I was nauseated for about an hour. The nurse I had ignored me, but another nurse came in and I told her how I felt and I just couldn't drink anything. She smiled looked at my family and said go get lunch, and she looked at me and said go to sleep, when they get back you will feel better. I took her advice I slept for an hour and when I woke up I felt good, I drink some Water and went home. I was sore for a few days, but other than that it was easy.

I would do it again in a heartbeat, and I also wish I had done it sooner. I've always had a weight problem and had been somewhat successful in holding it in check until I gave birth to my twins, (over 20 years ago). By the time they were 5 years old, I was 120 lbs. overweight. About 10 years ago I lost 80 lbs. on the Zone Diet Delivery program, and as usual, within the course of the next two years, put it all back on. Since then every year or so I would go on some kind of weight reduction program, lose about 25-30 lbs., and then put it all back on. I have clothing sizes in my closet that range from a size 16, to a women size 24. The reason I got this lapband was because I needed help in what for me is my biggest struggle with obesity - keeping the weight loss off. I think most of us know how to lose weight, the hard part is having the discipline to stick with it, and then of course maintaining that success.

So I am getting lap band surgery in November and I am started to freak out. I have read the good and bad but I want to know peoples personal experience with it. If you had to do it again would you? How was it the first few days after surgery?

Freaking out a bit is normal. For me yes I'd do it again.The first few days were a little hard.I wasn't hungry but felt the post op Gas in my shoulder.

Pre op diet 3/23/12

Surgery 4/6/22

Starting weight 339

Current weight 280

59 lbs down since march , not the fastest weightless but pretty consistent.

I have had no real complications.a couple minor stuck episodes from eating too fast or too big a bite.Nothing serious.

My only regret is not getting it done sooner !!

Keep us posted ! Good luck !

Surgery was April 6,2012 not 22 LoL

I would do it again in a heartbeat, my only regret is that I didn't get it years sooner.

The gas was pretty uncomfortable the first couple days post op but it passed pretty quickly. I had my surgery on Friday and by the following Wednesday I was back to my normal routine.

I've lost almost 150 pounds in about 9 months. I absolutely love my band.

The only bad thing is getting stuck but even when food is stuck I never regret my decision. My family asks me often if I ever regret it or would do it again. I say I never regret it and would have the surgery again in a heartbeat!

I would do it again in a heartbeat. The band saved my life. I was 250 lbs, pre-diabetic, on 3 different medications for high blood pressure and would be out of breath just walking from my front poarch to my car.

Today, I've lost 63 lbs, no longer pre-diabetic, no longer on ANY prescription medication (BP is normal) and I can walk anywhere for as long as I want. :)

I don't remember any major discomfort after the surgery. But then again, I've had quite a few surgeries over the years.

If I had to do it again I would have done it 10 years ago. Do I miss certain foods? Sure. Is it worth it to avoid the foods that don't go down so good? Sure because those are the foods that made me fat in the first place. You have to change your lifestyle and slow down your eating, a challenge for me. Also sipping low cal beverage and Water all day, it's just a way of life now. So worth it, I really do mean this. No regrets.

I actually had it easy compared to most. Gas pain overnight and gone. I probably was bothered more from hernia fix under breastbone area than the band. Take your pain meds as directed. Walk if you have gas pains and use a heating pad to help get rid of gas. Should have done the band years ago.

Sip your Water.