Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dumping syndrome happens when the undigested contents of the stomach enter the small intestine too quickly. It can happen anywhere from immediately after a meal to up to 3 hours later. It's a side effect of Gastric Bypass, not LapBand. Symptoms can include nausea, diarrhea, abdominal cramps, sweats and weakness. It can be managed by diet. Fats and Carbs are usually the cause.

Why am I reading ever where that you can get it from lapband and the symptoms I had last night were exactly that of dumping after I had a few bites of ice cream and my sisters birthday party..

I've never heard of it for lapband. I know quite a few people with lapband that has never had the issue. My friend that had dumping with bypass had it for over a year. Now with that said there are foods now that if I eat make me sick to my stomach or even give me diaheria. Many foods will be different

Last night about an hour after eating that I got severe like the worst possible I've ever felt stomach pains.and intestinal cramping, sweating, my heart was racing, I could heart my heart beat in my ears , felt nascious, dizzy light headed shakey I literally felt the worst I've ever felt I'm my entire life it lasted a few hours if it's not dumping than what could it be????

Why am I reading ever where that you can get it from lapband and the symptoms I had last night were exactly that of dumping after I had a few bites of ice cream and my sisters birthday party..

What you are describing may be symptoms of lactose intolerance or irritable bowel syndrome.

I've not read anything about dumping syndrome being caused by the band...perhaps you shocked your system with a sudden infusion of sugar. Unstable levels of blood glucose could also cause the symptoms you are describing.

Either way, reads like ice cream is something you should avoid. It would also be a good idea to consult with either your surgeon or PCP about what happened.

I agree with Sojourner. My son has celiac disease and will get like that if he has foods that have wheat or gluten in them But, since it happened with milk product, you might have developed an allergy to them, or perhaps as was said you have developed irritable bowel syndrome. Goodluck, if you experience that problem again, see your surgeon's office. Karen

Thing is I've had ice cream.a few times since being banded and never got this. Could it happen all of a sudden? It was scarey I literally thought I was having a heart attack.

It may have been totally unrelated to the band and not an intolerance. You may have eaten something earlier or just have a stomach bug. I am lactose intolerant and it has gotten worse after the band. It may be that but again, it could just be that your stomach was irritated by something else. Try a little ice cream again and see what happens...if it does it again you know that is what it was. That's really the only way to know

Sounds like something I wouldn't play around with. Call your surgeon or WLC asap.

Sounds like something I wouldn't play around with. Call your surgeon or WLC asap.

I'm feeling better today just kind of worn out. I have an appointment Tuesday and I'll be talking to her about what happened for sure because I keep reading that 80 percent of banded people can get dumping syndrome and all my symptoms were dumping symptoms

I'm feeling better today just kind of worn out. I have an appointment Tuesday and I'll be talking to her about what happened for sure because I keep reading that 80 percent of banded people can get dumping syndrome and all my symptoms were dumping symptoms

I don't mean this offensively, but you are reading completely incorrect information. The Lap Band doesn't cause dumping because our stomachs are fully intact and our intestines aren't rerouted. Dumping is common with Gastric Bypass because the intestines are rerouted, resulting in the rapid passage of undigested food into them. This isn't the case with the band and it's not a side effect of the band.

Perhaps you're confusing Gastric Bypass with Gastric Banding, I don't know, but whatever you're reading is completely incorrect.

I don't mean this offensively' date=' but you are reading completely incorrect information. The Lap Band doesn't cause dumping because our stomachs are fully intact and our intestines aren't rerouted. Dumping is common with Gastric Bypass because the intestines are rerouted, resulting in the rapid passage of undigested food into them. This isn't the case with the band and it's not a side effect of the band.

Perhaps you're confusing Gastric Bypass with Gastric Banding, I d on't know, but whatever you're reading is completely incorrect.[/quote']

That's funny because my surgeon just called mE back and yes you can get dumping with the lapband and he said that's exactly what I had happen

Sounds like this is a journey of continuous learning for all of us.

Did your surgeon offer any advice on how to prevent a recurrence?

Thanks for your update.