Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very Sad - Not Covered By Uhc

Hello All,

New here... thought about surgery off and on for a while now. I just assumed my insurance covered this. Well, I just got off the phone with United Health Care and they confirmed that I am not covered. I am a school psychologist with Atlanta Public Schools. I've seen numerous posts here from people who have been covered by UHC and am soooooo upset that mine doesn't cover it. Specifically, I have UHC Choice Plus and it's been great until now. The person I spoke with on the phone said they stopped covering it at the beginning of 2012. I pulled up my benefits page online to reconfirm. I guess the school system got tired of paying for these surgeries and that's why they pulled it from their contract/coverage.

My only option now is to see what other insurance policies/companies are offered when we have our open enrollment period next month. Open enrollment is the only time during the year we are allowed to change insurance policies. Perhaps there will be another policy that covers it but I have a feeling that if the school system took it off of their UHC policies, they probably took it off all policies offered.

I'm so upset.

Really sorry to hear that Lisa. I don't understand why insurance company's choose to pay for treatments like B/P, Diabetes, heart disease & strokes instead of stopping it before it gets to that point. Hopefully you can choose another policy at enrollment time.

Best wishes!

I am in Ontario, Canada. The lap band isnt covered here either by our private insurance or our government OHIP.

So I decided that I would get financing and have the surgery done.

I have put us in debt for the next 6 years but I decided I am worth it.

Hope you can find a company to cover it or maybe you could also self pay.

Lynn

I am in Ontario' date=' Canada. The lap band isnt covered here either by our private insurance or our government OHIP.

Lynn[/quote']

You are worth it!!!!

I am in Ontario, Canada. The lap band isnt covered here either by our private insurance or our government OHIP.

Lynn

I am in Ontario as well and just forked over the $16,000 - but like you, I am certainly worth it.

I have UHC Choice Plus too and mine Was covered and no 6 month monitoring either. My Drs office was very surprised and didn't believe it they made me call again and then still they were unsure until they submitted and approval letter came. I'm told that it isn't UHC it's the employer who decides if they will allow certain type of procedures such as this. Luckily mine did. If they didn't I would have done self pay as I think I'm worth it and my long term health improvement makes it all worth it.

Good luck to you;)

Hi all,

My husband has UHC choice too, and I'm currently not onto his ins but open enrollment is coming up in October. I have always struggled with my weight and I have a friend how got the lap band n looks amazing. And now I'm highly considering getting it done. My question is how could I find out if my husband ins covers for the surgery before I enroll in the policy someone help please...

JB is correct it is the employer who decides when they choose the policy if they want to cover bariatric surgery. My employer did cover it, but when we had open enrollment they changed it and no longer cover any bariatric surgery. I was extremely lucky after a year of waiting for approval I was called the middle of June to say I was approved, but I knew come July 1st my insurance was changing. I had to jump through hoops to have my surgery before the end of June. I worked too hard to kiss it all goodbye.

Now I found out they won't cover my fills or any related conditions related to the band. Lets hope I won't need any revisions.

You can ask your employer for the plan or group numbers and call in advance to see if they cover bariatric surgery. They will look it up and tell you over the phone. You can also request the criteria or waiting period.

Check it all,out in advanced.

Maybe one of the other policies cover it. Do some research and check them all. Don't get discouraged. Where there is a will there is a way! Good luck :)

Maybe one of the other policies cover it. Do some research and check them all. Don't get discouraged. Where there is a will there is a way! Good luck :)