Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Phase Shakes Are Killing Me!!!!

I am having my surgery with Dr Nick on the 11th and I am on the 2 week 1200 calorie pre-op diet and it is sooooo hard. If the shakes were better, then it wouldn't be so bad, but it is hard to get those BA shakes down without gagging towards the end. At least the bars are somewhat tastier.

I stay hungry thoughout the day, my mind thinking of all the "good" food out there. Any suggestions on those nasty shakes? :unsure:

I like the EAS Advantage Protein shakes... The ones that are already made are better than buying the powder... Idk why. And the powder has 2 grams of sugar when than the pre-made ones have 0 grams. The pack of 4 is like $4.97 at Walmart. I love them. They come In three favors; chocolate fudge, vanilla, and strawberry. The chocolate one tastes like chocolate milk!

I'm allergic to all artificial sweeteners but especially sucralose (Splenda) which is in everything! Maybe your doctor will let you use something like Raw Protein (unflavored) mixed up with juice, or a Protein Powder from a health food store with natural sugars in it, like my doctor did.

oh my, i'm getting scared now...I'm supposed to start on Sunday

forgot to mention, I may be scared all the way up to the surgery 9/21, but, I won't let Fear stop me...keep moving forward cause we have a bigger goal to achieve. Funny thing, my hubby has decided to some type of "diet" along with me to help us both be accountable to each other.

I can not stand most Protein shakes!! I can't get them down... The smell and taste are EWWWW! The only shake I can get down and enjoy are the Premier ready to drink. They have them at Sam's club and costco. 30 grams of whey isolate protein, 160 calories and 1 gram of sugar.

The pre-op diet is by far the worst part of this journey... Just keep on track and it will be over before you know it!

Try different brands, I tried 3 or 4 before finding one I actually liked.

I use the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury. I'm almost 8 months post op and I still have an Unjury chocolate Splendor shake for Breakfast every morning.

Thanks for all the advice!!

When I had to start my 2wk shake before surgery, that was very very very difficult for me to do!! I had to lock myself up in my bedroom or leave my house while everyone ate & I will show up when everything is put away...

I purchased the strawberry powder shake from my doctor's office. They said pour a scoop, water/skim milk & shake it up.. it was disguisting!!!!! Lord forgive me!

I chose to get my blender, add 5ices, chop up a banana, chop up 5strawberries, pour the scoop of powder Meal Replacement, I chose to add a little bit of Crystal Light (doc said Crystal Light is ok to drink during 2wk diet) fruit punch juice, blend it up! Added 3more ice cubes to make it colder, blend it up more... And it came out DELICIOUS!!!!

Doc didn't want me adding strawberries or banana to my shakes but I'm sorry, I had to!!

At the end of the day, I intake less than 1,000 calories to my diet..

So try it out.. I enjoyed my shakes :-)

Great idea! Thanks for the info and good luck!

Great idea! Thanks for the info and good luck!

I started Sunday and gagged down 3 out of 4. Monday I bought straws (really helps for the smell) and started adding instant coffee to them, cuts down the Protein taste a bit. Today I added chocolate flavoring (Walden Farms - 0 calories/fat/carbs/sugars etc) with the coffee and it is getting better every day. I have 1 serving of fruit and veggies per day and would hate to drink my fruit as I do crave the crunching and chewing, and it is a nice change up from the drinks. Make them super cold in a blender and use a straw.........I can't believe I have 11 days after today to go.

I couldn't get the BA brand down either. I used another brand with the same calories and Protein and I suppliment with Myolpex Carb Lite when needed (made by EAS). We added a banana and ice or strawberries and ice. Find a combo that works for you and stick with it. You can do it!

My husband also decided to come on the shake journey with me and now 11 days post-op he's on the mushy foods (and did the liquids too). He's lost 25 pounds so for. I go for my official first weigh in tomorrow tomorrow morning.

Today is day 3 for me and it was a good shake day. Apart from everything else, I think that making them with really cold Water plus ice makes a difference.

I am having my surgery with Dr Nick on the 11th and I am on the 2 week 1200 calorie pre-op diet and it is sooooo hard. If the shakes were better, then it wouldn't be so bad, but it is hard to get those BA shakes down without gagging towards the end. At least the bars are somewhat tastier.

I stay hungry thoughout the day, my mind thinking of all the "good" food out there. Any suggestions on those nasty shakes? :unsure:

You definitely need to try a few different brands to find one that you can tolerate, and perhaps even like...

I just wanted to add that you should be reading the nutrition labels...whey isolate Protein is still considered the "gold standard" Protein for bariatric patients as it contains complete protein with all of the necessary amino acids. My surgeon was strict about using Protein Shakes which contained only 100% whey isolate protein.

Shakes are generally more tolerable if you put them in a blender, and I even add a couple of ice cubes to make the texture thicker.

That said, I am also sensitive to the smell and after taste issues. I've been using GNC Wheybolic extreme, and actually like both the chocolate and Cookies 'n cream flavors. When I mix 1.5 scoops of powder with 8 oz of 1% milk, I get 37 grams of protein.

I've used the Atkins shakes, which do not contain the acceptable forms of protein as per my surgeon for short intervals while I was traveling and had no access to a cooler or blender.

wow I must be blessed cause my body fortress is good with soy milk and I am not hungry at all, and my family has still been eating like normal and it has not bothered me at all.

stay strong and focused. and the outcome will be grand. :)

my surgery is Sept 12 ,2012