Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feel Like A Faulure

Have been reading these boards for 4 months since I was banded. When I run into other patients banded the same day as me they talk about 50 lb losses. I am at only 14 pounds. 14 yep that is what I said....in 4months. I am examining everything I eat ( usually around 1100 calories daily with a slip a couple of times a month). I have walked or completed 30+ minutes on treadmill or elliptical 5X weekly.

I feel like the Dr and my friends judge me and do not believe that I am actually making an effort here.

Have only had 2 fills due to problems with hernia repair.

Am I the only one who is seeing no results. I am in tears every time I stand on the dr scaleband see only a 2 lb weight loss for entire month. So discouraged.

It works so differently for everyone. Many of us struggle. They can do a test of your metabolism which would tell you how many calories your body burns in a day at rest. You could have that done and that may answer some questions for you. Perhaps you have a really slow metabolism?

Hang in there!

Hey, We don't use the F word in here! Have you been keeping a chart of your daily intakes for past 4 months? If so I would contact your Nutricianist and set up appointment to show them your chart, they can make any nessasary changes to diet. Another thing may be the fact that your body is taking longer to heal from Hernia Op. without the proper fills you're obviously not going to lose more than current rate, Again Not your FAult, Your still healing. It's easy to give up. don't be discouraged, and you can't judge your personal losses to others each person has differnt metabolisims. Stressing and being upset will only leed you to doing the wrong things . keep a positive attitude, and know tha tonce your back on scheduled fills you'll lose more each week. Please don't feel like the F word. Nobody ever said it was going to be easy.. You have some good people on here willing to help. Failure is not a option!

First of all, CONGRATS on losing 14 pounds!!

Secondly, I'm so sorry to hear that your not satisfied with the rate of weight loss. maybe get your thyroid checked for hypothyroidism. I know people who have hypothyroid's and it majorly slows down their metabolism and causes them to gain weight (or not lose any) through no fault of their own

Good Luck,

Please don't feel like that! Patience is the first key to lapband life. For the first 5 mths after my surgery (until my 3rd fill) I lost an amazing 4 lbs! Yep, you read it right. Because I COULD eat just as much before surgery, I did. I didn't get restriction until my 3rd fill. About 7.5cc in a 14cc band. As soon as I got that 3rd fill, the magic started happening. I felt full after just a toddlers portion. I promise you - it WILL kick in eventually.

You have to be patient....it will be all worth it soon!

Marci

I am 2 months out and have only lost 9 pounds. It sounds pretty good, but I didn't lose the "1 pound per week" that it appears. I lost a few right after surgery on the liquid diet and the rest in the last 2 weeks after having my 3rd fill! I didn't think the scale was ever going to move. Look at it this way, if your hernia has caused some problems, then your doctor has probably been conservative with the fills. Once you heal a little more (some of us just take longer than others) you can have more fills and gradually move into restriction/satiety and start to lose. Slow losing is better than no losing (or even gaining), so you ARE successful right now......even though it may not feel that way! Hang in there!

Thanks everyone. I made appointment today to visit the nutritionist during my regular follow up next week.

Hoping she can analyze my food log. Also supposed to have a fill. I

It is great to have a place to vent with people who understand.

I lost nothing for a year. Nothing. Turns out, I have hypothyroidism. I had a really good loss right after I started my meds, about 25 lbs. in 3 months. Since then though, it has been agonizing. I lose maybe 1-2 lbs a month if I am lucky. Since 2005, I have lost about 75 lbs or so. I am still losing at a snail's pace. But, I am now wearing normal sizes and am no longer morbidly obese. I am almost out of the obese zone. I have also lost more than 1/2 of my weight and continue to lose--slowly. At this pace, I will be at my ideal weight in 2-3 more years, which is fine with me. I know it is horribly frustrating. But, for every pound you lose, you are smaller than where you were. It adds up over time. And, don't expect exercise to have any real effect on weight loss. Eight hours of moderate exercise a week doesn't even burn a pound. My weight loss doesn't differ even with vigorous exercise. Even Bob Harper admits that it only helps if you do it several hours a day. The reason you do it is to strengthen your heart a lungs, and maybe lose a few extra pounds a year.

Just hang in there. Something is better than nothing. I've averaged 12 lbs a year, but I am so happy that I kept working and am where I am now. No more sleep apnea, no more high cholesterol, I have really great blood pressure, and my resting heart rate is down. My Lupus and Fibro pain are greatly reduced. I am having a flare now and have little pain. It's worth the wait.

I will agree that two fills probably won't put you into being restricted. It took me 5 or so to get restricted. I still remember that fill. I actually felt the band snug up and that was the day it started. I do think that 1100 calories is reasonable. If you go too low, it can slow you metabolism in the long run and make it to where you will be able to eat even fewer calories. I was told I could do 800 for a very short term (2 weeks or so at a time) but then go back up to 1000 or more for a while, then go back down for 2 weeks if I wanted.

don't expect exercise to have any real effect on weight loss. Eight hours of moderate exercise a week doesn't even burn a pound. My weight loss doesn't differ even with vigorous exercise. Even Bob Harper admits that it only helps if you do it several hours a day. The reason you do it is to strengthen your heart a lungs' date=' and maybe lose a few extra pounds a year.

[/quote']

I couldn't disagree with this statement more.

There is a lot of science out there about exercise, weightloss, and fitness. Exercise affects weightloss for everyone differently. It may not make a difference for you, but for someone with PCOS such as me, it is essential to weightloss.

To toss out a blanket statement like that really does a disservice to many.

Obviously everyone should do their own research and are entitled to their own opinion.

To the OP. I am so sorry you are struggling. I have a harder time losing because I have PCOS. So I also need to take medication, cut out carbs and sugar, and exercise. Perhaps there is something else metabolic going on with you? Also, as other mentioned, until you start getting restriction, hunger is still your enemy. Hang in there.

Hey ! you are not a failure just because your body isnt cooperating ! it may take time to get your body on the right page. I didnt get alot of restriction until my 3rd fill , and then it only lasted a few weeks. Then not alot for the 4th, 5th or 6th, but just had my 7th and so far, so good. Every body is different. Also, i think you might want to look into exercising more, I looked at your profile and while i cant tell how old you are , by your screen name im assuming you're 50 or older. Well, im 54 and my metabolism has been SLOWWWWWWW since early 30's. A year on weight watchers and i only lost 12 lbs !!! Seriously ???? A Year !!! Im thinking you might need more exercise than what you're doing, but i know the joints might be a problem so i encourage you to swim and/or walk at least 3x a week. It has done wonders for my weight loss ! hope this helps, hang in there ! you can do this !!!!!

I lost nothing for a year. Nothing. Turns out, I have hypothyroidism. I had a really good loss right after I started my meds, about 25 lbs. in 3 months. Since then though, it has been agonizing. I lose maybe 1-2 lbs a month if I am lucky. Since 2005, I have lost about 75 lbs or so. I am still losing at a snail's pace.

Just hang in there. Something is better than nothing. I've averaged 12 lbs a year, but I am so happy that I kept working and am where I am now.

Your patience is mind boggling. And very amazing. So you live your life dieting with the band and barely see and fruits of your labor? OMG! :blink: