Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am being banded tomorrow and I am so scared. The doctor made everything sound so easy "You'll have surgery, be back to normal in 3-5 days and then after the 4 week post op diet, you will eat whatever your family does, only in much smaller portions'. From what I have read on here, the process is much more complicated.

I am so worried about waking up from surgery unable to drink any Water and being in horrible pain. I have fibromyalgia and have no idea how that will be affected by the surgery. I am kind of second guessing my decision to do this (something I knew would happen) but have already paid for the surgery and done the entire pre-op process.

I just feel completely sick to my stomach and I know tonight is only going to get worse.

it willbeokii was scare to it took 10 days still sore drivinghurts but u will beable to have ice Water and pain pills

get your gas strips drink plenty of Water and water you will be fine. i was scared to go under but i woke up and just some pressure from the gas and hardly any pain.

I think you should realize that it isn't an easy surgery. I mean some people have an easy time some a horrible time from what I read on here. Also I don't believe you can eat anything you want in small portions. I think everyone is different. ON here some people can't eat bread but some can, some can't eat steak some can. I wouldn't go in thinking everything will be easy. I'm not banded so I'm not the one to ask but what does everyone else here think? Do you think someone should have surgery with so many fears?

I was banded on Monday. No its not fun but yes its bearable. Do not be afraid to use your meds! I was prescribed 2 spoons every 4 hrs. I took it every 4 hours. You'll sleep a lot . I made myself walk every 2 hours (really helps) Gas x strips & my rice bag are my friends. Today Ive not needed pain med at all. A little sore at port site but standing straighter. You've come this far...You can do it!

I think if youre feeling like this now and go through with surgery and have a painful experience that'll be hard on you. I was banded 07/20 and the first 3 days were horrible Monday was okay Tuesday was better and today is fantastic. I would say to encourage yourself and pray about it and then pray some more. If you're still feeling iffy maybe your consciounce is telling your something

I agree with Banderama in that we all are different. Yet we have mostly the same goals. Fears are transient. They change size and come and go.

I don't know anything about fibromyalgia. but please don't be afraid to use the pain meds. The pain after surgery is temporary. Some of us have more, some less. It does go away in a fairly short time.

I wish you the best

I was scared too, but it's worth it. I didn't think it was bad. I recovered fast.

Funnyface - you need to take a deep breath and try to relax. I had my surgery just over a year ago. I am much older than you (60) and I came through just fine. A small amount of pain (and I am a big baby), Some nausea (but managable) and gas (you gotta walk it off). By day 4, I was back to work full time and you would not have known I even had surgery (unless you saw what I didn't eat). As for the future in eating - don't worry about that now. You will adjust - we all have. Yep, life is going to be different - you should have expected that - that is why you are having the surgery - to get healthy and loose the weight. You can do this. Watch some funny shows on TV tonight and just think - tomorrow is the beginning of a new YOU and no more pre-op diet !!!!! Post when you are up and around and let us all know how you did. I will be praying for you tomorrow.

Melinda in Florida

Weight loss 104 pounds and counting !!!

It is not the funnest thing in world but if you make the right decision, it will be ok. Like any surgery it does come with some pain and discomfort. I personally did not take any pain meds. But I am one of those people who just doesnt unless its bad. Use gas strips to make the gas more bearable, drink lots of Water and I really enjoyed gogurt tubes, Jello and SF popsicles. After a few days you wonder why you were so afraid. Move around as much as you can even if its to the mail box or end of driveway. Moving around helps the gas pressure and that is the worst part. Keep a small pillow around so if you have to cough or sneeze a lot just press it to your stomach and that helps you feel more secure against your incisions. I learned that after a prior surgery. Dont worry too much. Most people have a fairly easy time. It is what you make of it. I think the worst part of everything is the emotional grieving you do the first couple of week. We are all here to help you through as we have all been there.

As for food. You have to get your mind use to thinking about food differently. Plan family gatherings and parties around something else besides food. I personally can eat absolutely anything. Some food are a bit more tricky to eat or some foods I just choose not to eat. bread I can eat but it fills me up too fast. Steak I can eat but it takes so long to chew into a good consistency that its not worth it to me. So far I havent found anything I "cant" eat. Use the resources around you to help. Its a lifestyle change you are committing to not just something that makes you not hungry. Cause trust me, if you eat slow enough, you can still get just as much food down as before.

Good luck and it will be fine.

relax, you will get through this! if you have made it this far, there is clearly a reason. you really want this, don't you? if you do, then have some confidence that everything will work out and you will be fine!

You will be ok. I have had several surgeries in my 30 years, but this one wasn't bad at all. I felt better the day of surgery with this than I did when I had my gallbladder removed last year.

Lapband life isn't simple, but it's not bad, it is just a matter of learning what works for you. Best thing to do is take a deep breath, go for a walk, just try to calm down. After a little bit you will be so glad you went through with it.

Thank you everyone. I know I had made the right decision, but anxiety does try its hardest to get the best of me. I had brain surgery 4 years ago, so if I can do that, I can do this. I'm hoping that since I am used to pain from my fibromyalgia, I will be able to handle this pain too. xx

Me too surgery tomorrow and twelve hours till I check into hospital in the morning .... Keep telling myself 24 hours from now I will be done. Good luck you'll be fine xxxxx

I was banded one week ago and must say had little to no pain, has one gassy night but if say I'm 80% back to normal. Good luck and don't worry all will be ok.