Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kitchen Essentials For Pre And Post-Op ?

This question is for those of you who have had the surgery, and been a few weeks post-op. I could really use your experience and wisdom.

If you could just name the 2 or 3 must have essential kitchen tools to make meal prep and storage easier and more convenient, that works best for you, what would they be ?

I am having my surgery consult 7/6/12 and want to make sure I give myself every advantage to be prepared and make the most of my lap band. Thanks so much.

I've always loved cooking and own a ridiculous assortment of kitchen tools and gadgets, but if I had to boil it all down to a few essentials, it would be:

a mini food processor (for purees)

a blender (for Protein shakes)

a kitchen scale (because I'm terrible at eyeballing portion sizes)

measuring cups and spoons (see above)

salad plates (to use instead of big dinner plates)

my cookbook, Bandwagon Cookery (180+ recipes, plus lots of tips for meal planning and making food band-friendlier

Where can I purchase the book Bandwagon Cookery?

I got some small tupperware like containers that measured out to 4 oz, etc. I also got some cute ramekin type bowls & appetizer plates from Crate & Barrel. You can find them many places. Also got baby or child size utensils. It helped remind me to take small bites. And a small kitchen scale & measuring cups & spoons. Logging all food into my fitness pal has been key in my success. Also, an insulated bag so I can take food with me -- like Protein Shakes, mini babybel cheese, Kay's Natural Protein Snacks & unsweetened applesauce. Best of luck!

I've always loved cooking and own a ridiculous assortment of kitchen tools and gadgets' date=' but if I had to boil it all down to a few essentials, it would be:

a mini food processor (for purees)

a blender (for Protein shakes)

a kitchen scale (because I'm terrible at eyeballing portion sizes)

measuring cups and spoons (see above)

salad plates (to use instead of big dinner plates)

my cookbook, Bandwagon Cookery (180+ recipes, plus lots of tips for meal planning and making food band-friendlier[/quote']

This is all great I think the only thing I might add that I know I will have to do when I get banded is use smaller forks so I don't take bigger bites of food

I got some really cute plates that are smaller than regular dinner plates (but a bit bigger than a side plate), so I can have a visually full plate but it holds less. I use small utensils regularly (small forks and spoons ) which help control bites. I like to bring my lunch to work so I got a cute divided Tupperware container, as well as some one cup and two cup round ones with screw top lids (more secure).

I would recommend going to Jean's website and ordering through there- she also has a book (encyclopedia) about the lapband that is great that is not available on Amazon- I think $25 or $30 for both?

As for must haves:

- Ninja Pulse- Awesome kitchen tool! I bought mine at Target for $80 and it came with one large blender container, a storage lid, three travel mugs, and two dough paddles. The one from Walmart is a lower hp version and only has two cups but is the same price.

- Muffin tin- I have recently started making some muffin pan meals, which are perfect band sizes! I can make my week of lunches or breakfasts and then reheat when needed. You can also freeze.

- Jean's Bandwagon and the accompanying Cookbook. These have an abundance of great info. I find myself jumping to sections throughout the book for some strange questions, but I always find the answers!

- This is not a kitchen accessory, but a mini pillowpet or small travel pillow to press against the stomach when getting up, down, getting in or out of cars, walking, or laying in bed.

Thanks everyone for the great tips !! I knew I could count on you for answers. Hugs and best wishes to all.

As for must haves:

- Ninja Pulse- Awesome kitchen tool! I bought mine at Target for $80 and it came with one large blender container, a storage lid, three travel mugs, and two dough paddles. The one from Walmart is a lower hp version and only has two cups but is the same price.

- Muffin tin- I have recently started making some muffin pan meals, which are perfect band sizes! I can make my week of lunches or breakfasts and then reheat when needed. You can also freeze.

- Jean's Bandwagon and the accompanying Cookbook. These have an abundance of great info. I find myself jumping to sections throughout the book for some strange questions, but I always find the answers!

- This is not a kitchen accessory, but a mini pillowpet or small travel pillow to press against the stomach when getting up, down, getting in or out of cars, walking, or laying in bed.

Can you tell me what muffin pan meals are please, sound like a great idea and very interesting, Thanks!

Can you tell me what muffin pan meals are please, sound like a great idea and very interesting, Thanks!

They are meals you make in a muffin pan. Depending on the size of the actual muffin spot on the pan, one or two of these items are good for a meal. For example, this week for Breakfast I made muffin pan frittatas. I bought a roll of chicken sausage, frozen pepper blend (red, yellow, green peppers and onion), Southwest style liquid egg, and fat free kraft cheddar.

I cooked the sausage first, then did approx 2 oz per muffin slot (6 slots on my pan). I then added the pepper mix and then poured in liquid egg to the top of the meat and peppers. I topped each pan with 10 grams of cheese and then baked til done.

Nutrition came out to 125 calories and 20g Protein per frittata. I can now reheat a frittata for Breakfast each morning and have no excuse to eat unhealthy stuff.

The book is $2 cheaper when you buy it from me, by clicking on my Bandwagon ads here on LBT, or by going to my website and clicking on one of the purchase options (credit card, PayPal) on the left hand side of the page. The site is: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com.

What a great idea about using a muffin pan for mini meal. Never would have thought of that. Oh, and also the tip about a travel pillow for after surgery. I'm being banded on July 27 and will be using both of these ideas. Thanks Band sisters, for all the info, I'm feeling very grateful for this site...