Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was looking forward to getting the surgery than my doc told me I have to be on a strict and monitored diet for 8 months to a year before I can get the surgery. I'm a little discouraged....

Is this for the doctor or for insurance purposes?

I know it seems terrible when you get that news. My insurance messed around for a year, looking back it seemed like such a long time since I am almost 65. Next year it will seem like it flew in, good luck and it is worth the wait

Lassie

I think u need to contact your insurance company and ask them what the requirements are and then go from there, u may have to challenge your doctor on his timelines .

Its my insurance they're saying I have to met certain requirements before I can get it. They want to make sure I can live with the diet and I have to go in once a month to get weighed. This is a challenge.

That really sucks...but it also gives you an opportunity to start living healthy. After you get the band, you have to make the choice to eat healthy every day if you want it to be effective. Think about it this way - if you start now, in 8 mos to a year when you do get the band, you'll be in such a good routine of eating good and exercising that the big diet changes that come after won't be such a shock. Try to put a positive spin on it, since it's required and you really don't have a choice if you want insurance to pay for it.

I was looking forward to getting the surgery than my doc told me I have to be on a strict and monitored diet for 8 months to a year before I can get the surgery. I'm a little discouraged....

My surgery had to be delayed for over an entire year due to a variety of medical reasons, and that delay did not happen until I had already completed my 6 month medically supervised diet.

Yes, I was very frustrated...but that only made my resolve stronger to recover from my surgery and keep my eyes focused on my goals and the prize of better health...

The time will pass...jump through all of the hoops...and look forward to the day when you will receive your approval and schedule your surgery. All good things are worth the wait! Take a day at a time.

Best wishes...

When I first looked into the surgery over three years ago and found out about the six month supervised diet I would have to do, I blew it off because I didn't want to wait that long. I thought, "I can do this on my own." So after hem hawing for another year or so and gaining more weight, I started my six months of supervised visits. They flew by and all the hoops I had to jump through were so worth it when on November 29, 2010 I had surgery and began my new life. It's disappointing at first, but so worth it in the end. Good luck to you on your journey!

I wasnt lucky enough to have any insurance to pay for the lapband. I had to pay $10,000.00 out of pocket. You are going to live so why not just go with the flow and do what they say. I suggest that you get in the habit of eating less, exercising, drinking Water. Those are great things for you to do. It is really a win win situation for you. Think about the good things and the end result..Best of luck.

You may also want to try logging everything you eat into my fitness pal. It was a reality check for me! Good luck!