Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not Really Losing Much Weight

I am 2 mos out now (surgery4/24) and had my first fill last week (because I was on vacation for a month after surgery). starting weight was 262 now I am 250 so 6 # in 2 mos. eating is someitmes problematic but usual reasons: not small enough bites, eating too fast, not chewing enough. I can basically eat anything but meat of any kind is probematic, I just can't seem to chew enough. hiccups is my soft sign, as is a full feeling in my throat. after surgey on clear and full liquids I actually gained weight and I was terribly hungry. now that I can choose that is not so much of a problem. just curious if this is anyone else'sexperience or what am I doing wrong?

You've lost 12 lbs in 2 months. I lost 12 lbs in 2 weeks but never lost another lb for 3.5 months. Give it time. Were you good on your vacation? Or did you eat a lot of slider foods, salty foods, fat rich foods? You are doing quite well so just keep doing what you're doing and the weight will come off. It's a marathon, not a dash. Expect to lose 2-6 lbs a month and you shouldn't be disappointed.

And by all means, eat healthy foods!

tmf

If meat is problematic u may be eating more slider higher carb foods.make sure u get ur Protein in first.

I agree, eat Protein before anything else, maybe keep a journal this way you can see what you are eating, and then maybe record it into a place like fitday.com, I think that is what it is called, but it will break down your calories, to where you are eating carbs, etc...It may surprise you..I lost strong right off the bat but then stayed at a plateau for a month and half, then just had my second fill and starting to lose again, but I am still thrilled, that I am not gaining and that it is coming off..one pd at a time!!

If this is your first fill it sounds like u are doing fine, you will be able to control your appetite more and maybe lose more quickly once u get a few more fills under your belt. What i have said and said before, u need to slice meat wafer thin, so u can almost see through it, i dont cheew my food nearly enopugh sometimes, i still forget even now, but because i use my sharp knife and cut as thin as possible i dont get stuck, i can eat chicken, celery steak all the things that some get stuck on, celery i can slice up like a lace curtain u can see through it and it goes down.

Once u get more restriction i am sure u will feel more satisfied :)

Protein first is the key. If we eat the others first we fill up and don't eat the protein or enough of it. The bigger issue is the small bites and chewing. Beef is very dense, try chopped beef or ground turkey,fish or dark meat chicken. Get out a dime or an eraser the size thats on a pencil. That is the size you should be eating. Then chew and chew some more. At the beginning i needed to be by myself to learn to eat this way. I had to concentrate on just me without conversation. Good luck!

As you say, you haven't been taking small enough bites and chewing enough. You could try canned tuna (it's already broken up), flaky fish....also, you said you were on vacation for a month. Were you fully following your proper diet or in "vacation mode"? Maybe some more "liquid calories" there ;-)? You've had a fill and it may help but you also may need another fill to start really feeling restriction. But, as said your weight IS going down which is great; you may just be a slower loser. Don't compare yourself to others' weight loss; it usually just makes you upset!

You doing great... 6lb's a month.... I understand the meat thing. I can only eat steak if it's cooked Med. Rare or white meat chicken if it very moist. I stick with the dark chicken and I ate a lot of Wendy's Chili in the first few months. For some reason, it always goes down.

Walmart has frozen Talapa that are individually packed. One filet cooked with Extra virg. olive oil and some lemon pepper season is great..... or get the low sodium cream Soup and pour some on top of fish..... like cream of mushroom. Slice Cajun turkey from the Deli is great.... have them shave it for you. I do turkey roll ups with pepper jack cheese, have them cut very thin... yummy. If you are having trouble still..... get some liquid Protein and mix in smoothie. I go to Sams and buy the pre-cut, frozen fruit and blend that with some yogurt and Protein (no ice, frozen fruit enough cold). Protein is important, i didn't listen at first and lost a lot of hair in the process.

Have you started exercising? Some type of movement is necessary for optimal weight loss. It took me a few months to get that thru my thick head.... So i started doing Zumba 2-3 x week..., treadmill and the elliptical (aka the devil).... Started slow and them add more time... YOU CAN DO THIS..... Don't get down on your self.... and don't compare yourself to others. Every bandster is different. You just do YOU.....