Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had surgery on June 20, 2 days ago and the only pain I'm having is on my left shoulder and last night and today is just getting worst, if I take deep breath it hurts and after I finish drinking it seems to get worst! Is this normal?? How long this pain is suppose to last?? Please help! Thanks

This is due to the gas they pump into you to fill your cavity...it is very normal for laprascopic surgeries! I have heard that Gas X strips work and definitely get up and move a lot. Get the gas moving and out of your body!

I have heard this can last for a few days. You should get better soon...

i had surgery on june 13 and the pain in my left shoulder was really the only pain i had also. i used a heating pad and that really seemed to help. it will get better with time. hope you feel better soon.

I was banded on may 7th and still have occasional pain in my left shoulder. I was going to ask the same question when does it go away.this is beyond a month already

Sent from my iPad using LapBandTalk

I know exactly how you feel. I was banded on 4/26 and the left shoulder pain was the worst. The Gas X strips that everyone recommended did not work and the walking aroung either. It was worse right after I drank anything. Mine lasted a couple of weeks, and then suddenly it just went away. I hope your pain doesn't last that long. All I can tell you is it will go away, and it is normal.

Good luck!

I been taking gas x and nothing! I feel better knowing the pain is normal, I was freaking out! Thank you so much! Glad I found this group!!

Two things helped me- walking and time

It had shoulder pain for about a month after surgery and it seemed to go away one day and haven't had the pain since

Sorry, the air/gas pain is the side effect of any laparoscopic surgery. It should go away within a week or so, but after I had a robot-assisted hysterectomy, mine didn't come on until a week post-op and was there for two more weeks. Heating pad was my best friend.

Oh, this shoulder pain is awful. Walking has helped me and I'm post op day one. When I woke up in the recovery room, I felt like I was being stabbed in the shoulder.

I was also banded on June 20th, a heating pad helps me a lot, and so do the Gas-X strips. The nurse also told me to put my arms up over my head, swiching arms every 5 seconds, and that works for me too.

Thank you so much for the tips! Feeling better today!

My doc told me not to lie flat until most of the gas was released so I slept (or tried) in a chair for the 1st 4 days, somewhat upright and I also used a heating pad, which helped me

Oh, this shoulder pain is unbearable at times. I'm post op day 3. I'd be off my pain meds if it wasn't for the neck/shoulder because the abdominal pain is tolerable.

I had a hernia repair as well & I vaguely recall my doctor telling me the hernia was a lot bigger than expected. I have to call him this morning for a refill of my meds and some reassurance that this pain is temporary.

I've been walking plenty so it's not due to lack of exercise.

Hi, I am on the other side of the fence....I was banded in 2009 and I STILL have left shoulder pain. However, my shoulder pain is not gas it is called "refered pain". Or so the doc says. Mine only hurts when I am full! lol Which I guess it has taken a vacation because I don't seem to get full for some reason. So I am wishing my shoulder pain would come back! :) Good luck to you...I am sure yours will probably go away soon :)

t

Hi-

I am new to this forum. I joined because I am also looking for information on shoulder pain. I had my band surgery on June 5,2012. I am having a meeting with my surgeon tomorrow to discuss the pain. He says he has never had this happen to any of his patients. I have determined that the pain is worse when I am sitting or bending. It has stopped me from returning to a full work or social schedule. I read on one site that the more weight you lose, the better the condition will get. I am following the diet and they have even asked me to not move to more than 2 oz at a time because they are convinced that I am over eating even though I know that I am not.

Any help would be appreciated!