Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Little Discouraged....

Ok so I was so happy to have been able to have my consultation with my doctor moved up to an earlier date but now that the appointment it over with I am left sooooo confused. I orginally went it set on getting the lapbad but after speaking to the nurse and the dr. I am not so sure..... They were really trying to push me to get the sleeve because of the amount of weight I have to lose (150lbs). I know the decision is mine and mine alone but now I am so confused I am not sure what to do.... Advice anyone??

The decision is yours but after doing research i feel that you will drop the weight quickly but you stop may expand back to its normal size if you dont eat the way you should. With the band it makes it very hard to eat bad foor. You run the risk of throwing up.

Do a little searching online. Read some of the sleeve forums. It helped me make my decision.

I agree with the poster above. Ultimately it will be your final decision on which type of surgery to have. I too have over 150 pounds to lose and chose the lapband because if I work really hard at it I know I can get that weight off of me. I really don't want to drop a ton of weight all at once because of fear of either getting sick or my skin sagging too quick. I wan't to try and combat this in a timely manner so maybe I could have exercised some of the skin back to its form (not all), but some.

Best of luck with your decision :)

agree with both the above responses. i have that large amount of weight to do also. i like the fact that my insides will remain intact and that my skin wont sag as bad if i lose very quickly. read and ask a million questions.

I have the band, and my dad just had the sleeve done last week. This is how I look at it. With the sleeve you will drop the weight qucikly, however is typically only effective for about 80% of your weight loss. It is NOT reversible and can never be revised. Witht he band, you can have revisions and it is fully adjustable the rest of your life.

Get a second opinion and talk to people that have both the sleeve and the band, make an informed decision and do what is going to be the best for YOU!

I had the band and have been very happy. The band does not stop you from eating "Bad" food. It does not contain a computer. You will have X amount of space for food once you are at restriction. The doctor places the band and creates a pouch; as I like to call it a funnel. Once you are at restriction you will eat remarkably smaller portions. The pouch however doesn't say "chicken breast come right on in but ice cream your history!"

In fact anything that melts in your mouth or can be chewed to mush will go right on through the pouch/funnel; and will not make you feel full. Solid foods like chicken breast, carrots, other veggies will make you feel full. Some people at restriction have trouble with some foods. For me doughy cheap white breads are a no go (though I can eat high quality breads with grains) and raw baby carrots (I can eat them with hummus.). Other than that I can eat everything else. I have to choose to eat healthy food.

This is a lifestyle not a diet.

I think you may need to see another surgeon if this one is so set against the lap band, since that is what you want. At the time, my surgeon was only doing lap band and was really positive about it.

Very good advice and wise words here.

I started with over 200 pounds to lose. I originally was going to Gastric Bypass and at the last minute canceled. Logically I just couldn't rationalize cutting up and permanently changing a perfectly healthy organ without at least trying something less drastic first. So, I got the band.

So far I've lost 92 pounds in just under 5 months. It's work, I've had to change my eating habits completely as well as learn how to eat with the band. But I have zero regrets and would recommend it to anyone willing to do the work necessary for success with the band.

Thanks Everyone... doing reserch on the sleeve as I am typing this and already I can tell.. I WANT TO BE BANDED! to many risk and longer recovery and over all more complicated. A few you mentioned sagging skin that was one of my main issues with losing weight to quickly... Thanks again for all the comments/Advice.... :)

Very good advice and wise words here.

I started with over 200 pounds to lose. I originally was going to Gastric Bypass and at the last minute canceled. Logically I just couldn't rationalize cutting up and permanently changing a perfectly healthy organ without at least trying something less drastic first. So, I got the band.

So far I've lost 92 pounds in just under 5 months. It's work, I've had to change my eating habits completely as well as learn how to eat with the band. But I have zero regrets and would recommend it to anyone willing to do the work necessary for success with the band.

Great Job!!! So inspirational!!!! :)

I have lost a total of 166 pounds (70 since surgery) and don't have loose skin so far. I do have a bit of upper arm bat wings but I am a lady of a certain age.

Love my band, have a ways to go still... and no doubt I will get there. I read a lot that dr's suggest the sleeve instead of the band. You would think they'd put the info out there and let you decide.

anyways, I've lost 149 pounds!

your guys weight loss is so encouraging. thank you so much

Doesn't the sleeve cost about 3 times the band? The old saying "Follow the money" may not apply to every bariatric surgery as some folks really do need the sleeve but maybe some don't?

tmf

I had the same issue a few days ago and the link below will connect you to some more answers to your questions. It is my post and the replies people gave me. I came to the conclusion that the band is the one for me.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/topic/147951-doc-pushing-toward-sleeveany-thoughts/