Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Is Your Avrage Calorie Intake?

I was curious about what everyone is consuming for calories? For me a good day I'm consuming 1000 calories, 54 grams of protiene and maybe 20 grams of carbs. If I stick to that I drop about a 2 lbs a week.

I am one that does not count calories, or worry about portion sizes.

If the band restricts what and how much I can eat at any one sitiing, then it is not rocket science to be able to pick the proper foods to eat. IMO.

I asked the staff at my Surgeons office once why did they make me go through all that "Dieting" protocol in the beginning if they knew the band would take control, and they said I would be surprised just how many people do not have even the basic understanding of food groups, nutritional values, and the difference between good and bad food choices.

So they have to put everybody through the regime to ensure everyone gets a good education right from the get go, for total success later on.

It's all part of the total paackage.

Sounds absolutely right :)

I'm still only 4 months out from surgery. So, my band is still not where I need it to be. It's still taking some self-control. I'll admit though I was a binge eater but now I don't have any sort of binge cravings like I used to. All I was trying to get across was where everyone is at that has a properly adjusted band.

Happy days!

I am not in the "green zone" yet but hope to be soon. I am a little over 2 months out from surgery and I keep it at the most 1000 calories, 60-80 grams of Protein and around 60 carbs. I wish I was one of those that had restriction so easily but I am not. So until then, I count and watch everything I eat.

I am not in the "green zone" yet but hope to be soon. I am a little over 2 months out from surgery and I keep it at the most 1000 calories, 60-80 grams of Protein and around 60 carbs. I wish I was one of those that had restriction so easily but I am not. So until then, I count and watch everything I eat.

Break in down into phases....you are now in phase #2, adjustment phase. This phase can take months to get through, provided you follow your Dr.'s plan. The first phase being surgery, pre and post op.

After the 2nd phase you will enter a 3rd phase where things will change dramatically, and all the lessons you are learning now will truly come into play for real.

That is when the real weight loss journey begins, bringing with it new lessons to be learned, and not just dieting as before.

My goal is more about the Protein intake than the calories, I try to take in 120 plus grms of protein a day, I try to keep my carbohydrate choices down to less than 100 a day. Early in this process I took in between 60-80 gms of protein a day and never worried about my carbs. My only reason now for monitoring is that I am lifting weights and trying to tone and to build muscle to burn fat i need more protein than I was normally taking in. For me so far this is working and I am 17 lbs from my ideal body weight and have lost 103 lbs to date. I do not rely on my band to restrict me, because restriction is not the real use of the band. Suggestions for reading, the WLS Magazine on this site has some really good artilces on how to develop a healthy life style, and discusses how the band truly functions. Restriction: The Holy Grail. Opinion only but the more we know about how this band works and the sooner we develop healthy habits this will lead to not only weight loss but long term success. We all need to remember, this is not a diet but a plan to develop healthy eating habits.

I usually stay around 700-900 calories a day. No more than 60g Protein and drink atleast 4- bottles of Water a day. So far I have lost 45# since January. Now when I was in the first few months, I had around 300-600 calories, because of the liquid, puree phase. I did start walking atleast 3 days a week- 2 miles. I had my 4th fill about a month ago, so far so good. I can tell a difference and at times I have to take a few bites and walk away and go back later, usually in the evening meal. But I also think everyone is different. If you get more exercise = a little more calorie in take and it all depends on your weight as well, how much and how fast it will burn off at certain number of calories. I really try not to be obsecced with how much, but more of how I feel. But I will say I do write my meals and exercise down in a log from time to time, that way I can see what I am doing, just incase I stop losing, I can adjust what I am doing. Good Luck.

I will usually average around 900 to 1100 in calories for the day. My surgeon recommends I try to get around 80 or 90 grams in Protein a day and I've been doing well with that most days. I also stick to under 100 carbs a day and I usually average 20 or less in fat grams for the day. And I drink tons of liquid a day either plain Water or sugar free lemonade or sugar free iced tea, and hot teas... I don't measure my water intake but I know it is quite alot, I should start keeping track of just how much in total.

Because everyone calorie intake is so low, do you guys feel that your body goes in starvation mode? My trainer actually recommends 1600 a day especially since I will workout 5 days...140 in protein....120 in carbs and no carbs after 3pm.

Because everyone calorie intake is so low, do you guys feel that your body goes in starvation mode? My trainer actually recommends 1600 a day especially since I will workout 5 days...140 in protein....120 in carbs and no carbs after 3pm.

I eat 1000 calorories or less a day, 60-100 grams of Protein, and under 100 grams of carbs a day. I workout 6 days a week (3 with weights) and I'm pretty active the rest of the day. My body does not go into starvation mode because on one day a week (usually Saturday), I up my calories considerably and eat whatever I want. My body gets its fill of sugar, carbs, fat and psychologically I get all my cravings fed. I lose 2 pounds a week.

How long have you been doing this for?

3 months

I eat around 700-900 calories a day, 60 g - Protein and at least 64oz Water a day.I also walk 3-4 days a week about 2 miles+.

Even when I first had surgery in January, I was at less than 500 calories a day some days, because of swelling and fullness from the surgery. I asked about starvation mode and they told me that would not happen. Our systems are just so used to getting more food than we actually need that it just takes some time for our systems and our minds to realize it doesn't need that much. About the 2nd month into it, I was feeling much better.The weekness and the exaustion went away. I also write everything down and when I actually go back and look at it, I realize it's actually more food than I thought I had. Hang in there and you will be fine.

I eat 800-1000 calories a day (depending on if I exercise or not) and keep my Protein at at atleast 60grams and my carbs to below 35.

I have done this since December and average about 2 pounds a week loss.

Once a month I will allow myself a couple of days to eat those things that I have restricted.... like sweet potatoes, oatmeal , english muffins and such....not junk food. and will increase my calories to 1000-1300 (depending on if I exercise) and up my carbs to 100.----Doing this for just those two days, usually stops the scale and I won't loose a pound that week.

I know some people eat a lot more calories and maybe if I exercised as much as they do, I would need more. But prior to December I would eat around 1200 calories a day with very little exercise ( walking about 2-3 times a week) and I actually would consistently gained about a 3/4 a pound a month.

So......Apparently my body is super effient and doesn't need a lot of calories to maintain itself.