Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Shake Hard For Me To Do

Hello,

I am ten days after surgery...I am having great difficulty doing Protein shakes..

I have tried

Boost

Walgreen strawberry

Protein shake, this one has 23 grs of Protein per bottel and 110 calories

I am looking for a shake I can finish..I cannot seem to get thru half of bottle due to taste.

Is there a shake out there that has a flavor and not the after taste I am experiencing.?

I am just not getting my protein in due to the problem with the shakes I am having..

Any shake that you have found that gives you the ability to finish?

Thanks

In my opinion they all suck. Were you told to use them by your doctor or nutritionist? I was not. My surgeon moved me to a full liquid diet at 3-days and then to solids at 1 week. He says NO shakes. Period. I am to eat my calories. No liquid calories at all. I bought tons of the stuff pre-op assuming I'd need them only to be told I was not to. I was to be on Clear liquids and then move on to real foods fairly quickly.

Over the years, I have broken that rule when I've had a bad stuck episode, or I just get bored and want to boost my Protein without needing to eat (yes, I just really said that!)

When I am in a hurry, I'll do Carnation Instant Breakfast, it doesn't have as much Protein as shakes, but with milk, it has about 14g. In the shake arena, I like Isagenix, you can order online, it is the only one that I have found I like. But shakes are purely a personal preference thing.

That is so interesting...I was told ONLY Protein shakes post op for two weeks...so here I am trying so hard and failing to do the three per day...I cannot even get thru a bottle..I have been trying to get it other ways...

Like cottage cheese, oatmeal, yougurt, etc...but these add up in calories when trying to get the Protein in...so like a catch -22...I am keeping a food journal and have been able to keep the calories down,, but the protein is suffering, greatly...

I do not want complications...

Right now, I have a shake sitting next to me...trying to finish as a Breakfast food...

The shakes also make me thirsty...weird or not?

Thanks for your response

I was told two weeks of liquids which can include thin Protein Shakes, thin Soups and yogart thinned down with milk. If it will fit through a straw easily then it is okay, just don't drink from a straw as you gulp air with it.

I found that Jay Robb Tropical Dreamsicle is pretty good. I did not care for the strawberry or chocolate Jay Robb though... My other go to shake is the premier nutrition chocolate from costco. I don't particularly like it, but I can tolerate it and it works for after fills.

You can also take a shake and add sugar free syrups to change the taste. If you have an open to the public warehouse distribution type store (think Cash & Carry), they sell the Torini sugar free syrups.

I use the Premier shakes from costco as well, they're not bad. But you could try the Carnation Instant Breakfast with skim milk and ADD some Fat Free Milk powder to it for more Protein. That is a trick my nutritionist told me.

Also, you could try adding food flavorings, like imitation maple, orange, pineapple etc. to a vanilla shake to change it up a bit. I would think orange added to vanilla would be similar to a creamcicle especially if you blended it with some ice.

Hang in there, liquids aren't forever, I know I'm due to go on soft foods Monday. :)

I use the Premier shakes from costco as well' date=' they're not bad. But you could try the Carnation Instant Breakfast with skim milk and ADD some Fat Free Milk powder to it for more Protein. That is a trick my nutritionist told me.

Also, you could try adding food flavorings, like imitation maple, orange, pineapple etc. to a vanilla shake to change it up a bit. I would think orange added to vanilla would be similar to a creamcicle especially if you blended it with some ice.

Hang in there, liquids aren't forever, I know I'm due to go on soft foods Monday. :)[/quote']

Second Premier from costco. Personally I like them.

If you really can't manage the shakes then just drink milk. It doesn't have as much Protein in but it is a healthy nutritious food.< /p>

Thanks for the suggestions...what about placing the shake in the freezer and then take it out frozen and spoon it down?

so my favorites have to be give me lean cochleae and peanut-butter flavored 25 grams of Protein and only 200 collars Isopure chochlet 20 games of Protein also Urjery unflavored mixed with crystal light again 20 grams of protein no lactose .

I like Isopure the best because it is lactose free and i can't eat dairy talk about giving me i ate some pudding i thoght was suger free lactos free i now going to be paying for that turns out it had dairy hidden in it

If you really really can't get them down, call your surgeon and ask what you can do instead. He may have some suggestions that we don't. I think after 3 or 4 days of only Protein shakes, I'd be ready to vomit them out my nose.

All doctors are different on what they allow. Mine was not worried about my calorie intake during my immediate post-op phase. That part was not about losing weight or calorie control. It was about healing up and getting ready for fills. I think I didn't have to do shakes because I wasn't on liquids long enough to need the added Protein they provide.

I lost 130 pounds on my own back in 1996...went from 254 to 124 and stayed there for ten + years. Started the weight gain back in 2009. I know I needed help this time.

LAst time I did 800-1000 calories a day, did not watch Protein intake...but then again did not have surgery...

I was only on a Protein shake pre op for 3 days..then surgery....

i want to get the Protein in, I am going to say that l need to get more protein, but the shakes for me are hard to take...

One day at a time...

I have found other protein sources of course, but have to wait till i can eat them..:(

I love Unjury, order at unjury.com. chocolate splendor with skim milk and ice, or vanilla with trop 50 Orange juice with ice and sometimes I add in 3-4 strawberries. I love this brand!!! You can order the sample pack, 2 envelopes of chocolate splendor, 2 vanilla, 2 strawberry, 2 chicken broth and 2 unflavored to try.

Ughhh!! I feel your pain! Try GNC Lean Shakes...they are pretty good. I have to agree they make me thirsty too. I had my surgery on April 16th and was told liquid diet for 2 weeks. I cannot wait until Monday so I can have some added food....Good Luck!