Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I DID IT!!!! Self Pay

Well I did it! And so far so good!!! I feel very positive. :clap2:

Here are some facts for others who are interested.

It was my birthday present from my husband & myself - probably for the rest of my life - since we had to do self pay. We have excellent credit and

after battling the insurance company & beating myself up for a while. My husband & I just did it. We were able because of our good credit to get a

personal loan and although the interest rate is higher than I wanted (about 10%) the payments are about the same as an expensive vehicle -

$500 a mo for 5 yrs.

I just had the Lap Band on Monday 2/20/06. I was able to do outpatient since I am basically very healthy except for bad knees & being overweight & depression (for which I take med & am treated by my primary dr)

I live in Austin, TX and so far it has cost me $15,400. This price included my first dr's visit & a mandatory visit with the nutritionist(which I didnt feel I really needed but they make you do it -about $375 total). Then I had to pay the $15,000 before the procedure- this price includes the surgery itself - the OUTPATIENT medical facility (It is about $600-1000 more per day if you stay at the hospital) costs, the anethesiologist,

all post op visits up to 90 days after the surgery, & up to 5 band adjustments up to 1 year after your surgery date.

They really do overcharge but what can you do?

I try to make the best of the circumstances & they allowed me to put the $15k on my credit card - I did this so I can get mileage/reward points.

Then I will pay off the credit card within the couple weeks to advoid interest with our personal loan. Then I have to make my $500 monthly payments for 5 yrs.

I weighed 350 when I first saw my dr on 2/14 - I am already down to 320. I am sure this fast drop is mainly because of the diet I am on & this isnt typical of what my future pace will be - my realistic goal after I get back to "normal eating" in about 4-6 weeks will be 2-5 lbs a week. & my doc says more like 2-3lbs a week. BUT that is what I want I honestly want to lose slower so I can try & exercise & avoid as much "skin" problems as I possibly can.

I am still on the liquids phase -which isnt that bad. BUT

BE SURE YOU FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS! The first time it got painful was because I tried to slurp down some broth & then lay down .. no, no , no you do not want to do that. It feels like you ate the whole T-Day dinner & Desserts yourself & then did 100 sit-ups - like really sore muscles.

I have found now that if do what they tell you & take about 30 mins to sip my 4-6oz of liquids & then wait at l e a s t 30 mins before reclining.

Today is my 4 day after surgery & I am a lot less sore and still feeling positive & thanking God. I know I will have a bumpy road ahead & I am sure I will be back here soon asking for support.

Good luck & May God Bless to all of you!!

loube910

Thanks for the great post. I was banded on 2/21 and am feeling better today too.

I, like you, am a self pay as well. When I think of all the $ I have spent on the food I ate to make me this way, heck I could have had this saved years ago...tee hee hee Congrats on your lifelong gift you gave yourself. :confused:

I am also a self pay. I went to Mexico for the surgery and only paid $8200. The surgery costs so much in the US. Either way, the chunk of change needed for the surgery did not come from the money tree, I felt the loss, but I am so happy with the band so far. 50 pounds gone, 70 to go. Hurrah for us!

Congratulations loube910 on your new band and the weight loss!! :clap2: Insurance can sure be a big hurdle and all the hoops you jump through seem overwhelming. So glad you were able to go forward and do the self pay....I'm not sure I would be able to do that. Take care of youself and I hope you feel better very soon. :confused:

Grats on your banding! I was a self-payer as well. Mine was about $11 grand more than yours! Eeep! I couldn't be happier with the decision now. But before hand? Oh lordie, I felt guilty for not being able to do this on my own and spend that money somewhere more - important? lol Yep, I figured out that my life is most important and went thru with it.

Did I read that right?? Thirty pounds in 10 days?? Good grief!

Well its been 8 days today since my lap band (2/20/06). I have lost about 2 more pounds ( a total off 22 since 2/14/06).

I have some questions for fellow lap banders please:

1. I am still on liquids (pureed Soups, Water, broth etc)

My doctor has told me I need to take 30-45 mins to "eat" 6oz of liquids

that hasnt been that hard because I get bloated.

My worry - I guess if you can call it a worry because it sounds really silly when I wrote it ... I havent thrown up - at all.

Before my surgery I never threw up either - I hadnt thrown up in over 15 yrs. But I thought the surgery would definitely cause me to if I ate too fast or too much.... Has anyone else had this ??

2. I seem to be getting hungry sooner. I will have my 6oz of Soup or whatever & at first it was 4-6 hrs before I got hungry . Whats sad is at first I couldnt tell if I was hungry or just having pains.. .I guess I hadnt let myself get hungry (overeatting) for a long time. But anyway now instead of 4-6 hrs - I eat my 6oz and within about 2 hrs I start getting hungry.

Is this normal? Any info or advice is appreciated.

3. How soon after the surgery do you have to get an adjustment.. I mean I know everyone is different but could I get a few testimonials on this one.

Thanks!! This is a great group of people and I am so lucky to have been turned onto this site!!! Thanks to everyone for your support.:confused:

I love all of ya!

loube910

Good Luck!! & Good for you!!!!! You are going to be so happy you did this!!

I have no regrets

loube910

banded - 2/20/06 (22lbs down)