Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nervous About Going Under

Hello everyone! I will be banded sometime at the beginning of April 2012 and am very concerned about having general anesthesia. I would appreciate anyone's input on what to expect before and after surgery regarding general anesthesia. I have asthma and am concerned regarding how the anesthesia can affect my asthma. I am very excited to take this journey and hope to achieve my goal weight. I decided to get banded due to health reasons and I don't think my poor body can handle 210 pds on this 5'3 frame. My goal is 125 but I will be happy if I simply made it to 140 pds. Everyones input and suggestions are always welcome. Thanks everyone and have a blessed day! Georgiana.

Meet with the anesthesiologist and make sure you let him know you concerns. He or she will be the one monitoring you, so feeling comfortable beforehand would help ease your mind. Good luck!

I was a total wimp when it came to being put under. I never had any major surgeries and I was extremely scared. I told my doctor about this a week before the surgery and he prescribed me a single dosage of xanax to take the morning of my surgery. I dont think it helped, because I was freaking out all the way into the OR.

Once I got placed on the table, the anesthesiologist asked me how I was. I showed him how nervous I was by raising my shaking hand. That's all I remember...

I woke up in recovery. I had no concept of time (I thought I was still in the OR). The fear of general anesthesia was gone. The only side effect I had was that I wanted to get up out of my bed and start walking around. My mind was telling me I had the energy to do that but my body said otherwise.

I am also asthmatic and the surgical staff was aware. I had a minor issue with the asthma after I came home (after an overnight stay). The only problem I would foresee is if you get overly anxious before the surgery like I did. But for the surgery itself, you will be in good hands and won't feel or remember a thing.

Good luck!

Marner1500, lol, you sound just like me. Yeah for the most part I am a BIG, FAT chicken regarding general anesthesia. My surgery will also be out patient. Has the band affected your asthma in anyway if I may ask? Thanks journey4me for your input!

Has the band affected your asthma in anyway if I may ask? Thanks journey4me for your input!

I've only been banded for less than a week so I cant give a full perspective but I will do my best. My biggest problem was when I came home. I had so much swelling, a slight respiratory infection, a long walk to the house and then the living room was extremely dry. After 15 minutes, I had to go for my inhaler. That was the only time I had a problem.

It's going to be uncomfortable to breathe deeply initially, but that goes after two to three days later. Today (5 days post op), my lungs feel pretty darn good! My swelling is down and I am much more comfortable walking around. In fact, I walked around the block this afternoon (needless to say, I didnt break any land speed records).

A friend of mine who has asthma and had the full bypass done said that his asthma is much more manageable since he had his surgery. He's almost 2 years post op. He completed the couch to 5k program and loves to run (he just keeps his inhaler nearby). I'm planning on starting that as soon as I drop enough weight that it won't punish my knees too much.

im also 5'3, and my goal is 140 lb too, or if its meant to be , 125 lbs. i was just banded mid december, im down to 208 from 225. feeling pretty dang good even though its a slow weight loss, it still a healthy weight loss so ill take what i can get ! being banded has been a breeze so far, surgery day was no exception. i arrived at the hosp at 5;45am, they put a iv in my arm , i chatted with the nurses and dr as they had me sign a few papers ,took my temp etc. they rolled me into the operating room at 8am and the next thing i know they woke me up at 9;30 and said youre done ! a little groggy and tired with really bad cottonmouth, but after ice chips and Water, i left the hosp at 11am. the only pain was like a bad pulled muscle on my left side for 10 days. the whole thing was a breeze ! id do it again in a heartbeat ! good luck to you !

I was scared about going under too and I have been put under before. I remember asking him how long he had done this job and we joked about him having taking a on line course the night before. He gave me what he said he was going to give me some "oxygen" and when I woke up, I was in recovery. The also gave me two does of Versed to calm my nerves and it just made me really calm. You can always ask for something to relax you before hand.

As long as both of your doctors know your concerns I'm sure they'll put you at ease. You'll be out before you blink and waking up in recovery. Prayer helps tremendously too! smile.png

Versed works magic before the surgery- they could've done pretty much anything to me after that little shot!!!

It's all worth it, definitely talk to the anesthesiologist- I met with mine at my pre-op visit at the hospital. THey'll make you feel at ease!!

Thank you guys for replying to my post. I will definitely ask about Versed. At this point anything will help! ;):P

Hello

I'm also 5'3 (sometimes 5'4 ;) ....I also hope to get to that 140-125 range :) scared to death of going under....thanks for starting this thread...

I'm getting it done march 30th.....it's so far and yet so close ;)

Good luck to all of us....it's not easy living on a society that values skinny----but has friggin fattening food at every corner....we are attacked with food non stop...so unless you're one of Those that can eat whatever they want and not gain weight....I guess you need the help of the Band! I'm scared....but excited!!!!

Will be telling everyone how focused I am and that when I put my mind to something....I can get it done!!! Hehehehe

I found reading through the 'surgery day stories' calmed my nerves a lot. I was very frightened too. I was crying right before they put me under (no idea how they did it, didn't see it coming), and I woke up still crying, confused and begging them to put me back under! Lol. Its really over before you know it.

I was awake during my csection and being put under is wayy preferable in my opinion! They had to tranquilize me halfway through the surgery, I was freaking out so bad. I hate not being in control and not knowing whats going on but knocking me oyt