Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 Months Post Op And No Restriction

Need a little support here. Its been 6 months since I had the surgery and have not felt restriction as of yet. Dont get me wrong after the surgery I dropped a quick 30# from the liquid diet but now I have been working my but off just to maintain what I weigh. I eat healthy but I am always hungry. I have had monthly filles and have about 6cc in a 15cc band. Has anyone else gone through this and has it taken this long ? I go to the Dr again Thursday and I am hoping to finally get some restriction so I'm not hungry all the time. Just looking for some encouraging words from someone that may of gone through this.

I'm right there with you! I am just at 1 year, have 6.5 in my 10 cc band. I go in tomorrow and can't wait for a fill. I ate Breakfast at 8:10 and my stomach was growling at 10:45, so I just had a piece of string cheese. I only feel restriction if I am starving and take a first couple big bites, then is when I feel it going down slow.

I didn't really start to feel restriction until my band was around 5 cc in my 10 cc band. Half full, half empty, LOL. I have ok restriction now with around 5.5 in my band, but need a fill because getting hungry again like hollydolly does. Can you ask your doc to be more aggressive with your fills, making sure they are done at beginning of the week just in case you need an unfill? My PA was cool with that but I never had a problem after a fill.

Your band is less than half full so it is quite likely that you do need more fill.

But a tip to remember . Restriction is not about being restricted in what you can/can't eat - it is about being able to go for fairly long periods without feeling hungry.

You have said that you are getting hungry so you seem to be getting a fill for the right reason.

I think I am at 6cc and have never felt restiction as most seem to think it should be, other than right after a fill and I am a little swollen. I get full quickly, but it is more about what my head says than my tummy. I don't ever seem to be hungry, which is bad because I don't eat how I should. If you haven't had a fill under flor(sp) that might help to see how fast the flow is. Mine have been done this way and it really helps. My doc did my last one and he says it doesn't matter what is in the band, but how the food flows through the opening. Also, if they don't pull out all the Fluid during a fill there is no way to tell how much is there. If you have a slow leak or it was mismeasured then you could have less than is reported. Get your Water in daily, check your body measurements, sometimes you gain muscle and tone so inches go, but the scale doesn't go down. Remember, the band is the tool, but you are the one in controll of what happens. Even if you have to measure your food first, and only eat that..no seconds. This is so doable for you, just keep plugging away at it.

Thanks for the encouragement but I am at 5.75 cc in a 15 cc band I am hungry all the time. I ask my Dr for an aggressive fill and he states that Its too much to do and he wont do it. He tells me to keep following my meal plan but it is tough.

I am in the same boat. I have had 3 fills and I am at 7 ccs but Im stuck at 30 pounds lost. I have restriction and I eat my 3 meals a day but I can also eat bread, pizza all other things. I eat my first meal which is a cheese wedge and banana normally, at lunch at 12:30 I eat a small piece of meat or chicken and carb or vegetable and dinner the same. I am starting to focus on my exercise regimen today and will dedicate my self to working out at least 4 days a week. I am determined to get past my plateau. Good Luck to you and be patient because you will flourish again and continue to lose the weight. We just have to find out what works for us and keep going. The great news is that we are never going back to where we were.

You have a large band. Will take more in the way of fills than most others you read about here.