Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Some people say they love it, but I think it's just OK. It looks like round bird seed and probably tastes like it, too.

It's pronounced 'keen-wa". You cook it like rice and to be fair, it can taste good, properly flavored. Even with just butter

and garlic it's OK. Winco has it for a fair price and it's all over the internet for a little more.

Ive got some in the pantry, i was going to do it like cous cous, cook it in stock, fluff it with a little butter, then use it as you would rice. I think you can lo cook it like porridge for Breakfast.< /p>

I have some here and haven't tried it yet either, although I have many recipes for it saved, just need to buckle down and take the plunge to try a new food. :) I imagine you could use it in place of anywhere you would have normally used any small type grain product. I did read to rinse it well before cooking to release the resins from the product that would affect taste.

Here is what I read on another site... "

put it in a pot, fill with Water, swirl the quinoa around, pour the Water out slowly, repeat.".... also said you can rinse it through a fine cheesecloth but some brands of Quinoa come already pre-rinsed.

I tried my first quinoa this week, I cooked it in FF chicken broth and it was quite good. The brand I bought was pre-rinsed, so I simply put 2 parts broth to 1 part quinoa. I think next time I'll mix in some chickpeas or black Beans, a maybe some onion.

I finally cooked mine last week. It had been sitting in my cabinet forever. I just cooked it with chicken stock and it was pretty good, served it like rice with Salmon.

Next time I am going to add something else with it too. It has a strong flavor, can't quite put my finger on it, that would be better if tamed slightly.

All in all it is an excellent rice substitute. Fills me up quickly. I like side dishes that also provide a Protein source.

I use it all the time- good plain, mixed with veggies, etc...

-Cordelia, banded 1/08

My sister found a recipe that we modified but really like, 1 cup Quinoa cooked, 1 cup of pineapple, 1 can of mandarin oranges (with splenda), 1/2 cup of crasins, and 3 tablespoons sugar free marmalade....makes a bunch but is really good.

I just had to post here again, since my last post, I have cooked the Quinoa several times and it is already a favorite with us here at home. it is amazingly good, seems to take on the flavor of whatever it is cooked with and I love the little "pop" texture of the seeds.

Favorite thing I did with it so far was to cook it in chicken broth, then tossed it with some fresh crisp steamed pea pods and a few spices.

I think I will be cooking it often, great sub for rice or Pasta. (I like spaghetti squash as a sub too)

I wish my family would eat it. I make it for me and my 15 mos old but my 10 year old and hubby don't like it

-Cordelia, banded 1/08

I make a salad with low fat balsamic dressing, Tomato, onion, black olives, crumbled feta. Yummo

A guest made a salad with a vinaigrette and shelled edamame (from freezer bag), orange pepper diced, small diced red onion, craisins, toasted pine nuts. Had Splenda in it too. Delicious!

I cooked Quinoa pre surgery often. My favourite way to prepare it is as follows:

Cook Quinoa as per packaged instructions.

Add chopped cucumber, cherry tomatoes, Garbanzo Beans (Chick Peas) and chopped cilantro.

Add fresh squeezed lime juice to taste (no need for salt when you use lime) - you can also add lime rind.

If you find that you need some acidity - add a white balsamic vinegar.

Quinoa is actually really tasty, I prepare it in a rice cooker with chicken stock, onions, garlic and butter. Yum even my 12 year likes it!

I've cooked it now - my family didnt like it served like rice. It wasnt awful but it wasnt much good either.

I did make tabbouleh from it, that was good - you couldnt really tell the difference between that and cracked wheat and the rest I used in a couple of salads for my lunches at work. I wouldnt be in a hurry to actually cook it for dinner again - mainly because it could be fine if its spiced up and made into a real "dish" but I'm on an elimination diet and not eating onions, garlic or commercial broths and stockes as well as wheat, dairy etc. Maybe once I'm sure none of those foods will aggravate my guts I might try doing something fancy with it.