Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too Many Frustrated Lapbanders!

I am going for my consult tomorrow YEAH! I have made my mind up to get the lapband. I have been reading and participating in the forums and I love all the information that I have learned so far. Good & Bad....BUT I am afraid of failing with the band. Lately I have noticed a lot of frustrated lapbanders because they are not losing or have gained weight. I am getting nervous. I don't want to take this big step and then not succeed. I understand its a tool but I need to know that its worth it at the end. I need positive stories before I change my mind. THANKS!:(

I get banded Thurs so I cant say from that side, but I can say that a general theme when others have asked that question is that most of the people who are on boards are looking for help and not neccissarily the successful banders. (Not that there arent plenty of "losers" here, but more with ??'s and looking for support).

I felt the exact same way and decided no matter what even if I decide I don't want 1 fill then I will use this tool to the best of my ability and understand that if I don't want it to work and make myself accountable for what goes into my mouth then I will not succeed. This is the last straw I will either make it work or I will be fat for the rest of my life!

I just want to say I am ALL for support and I am sure that I will need some to through this journey. I would like to hear some positive outcomes. I am want to make sure I AM making the right choice.

BTW congrats on your banding & Good Luck!

This is eaxactly where I am right now. Just scary because its not an easy to reserve this. I don't even want to tell people because I don't want to seem like a failure if I don't succeed. I need to change my mind set & believe that I will and can succeed.

I felt the exact same way and decided no matter what even if I decide I don't want 1 fill then I will use this tool to the best of my ability and understand that if I don't want it to work and make myself accountable for what goes into my mouth then I will not succeed. This is the last straw I will either make it work or I will be fat for the rest of my life!

I can say that I chose to be banded before ever coming to these forums. I chose this because my sister was banded a year ago and I have seen her journey (good and bad) and I know that if she can do it, so can I! I talked to a neighbot about it and she confided that she also had it and we talked a lot too. I also have an aunt who had rny and I saw her before and after as a HUGE red flag to NEVER go that route. She did lose weight, but she looked like someone from the Stephen Kings "Thinner" story. I know that it takes work, and I know that sometimes a fill wont get you where you want or that you may be too full and need some taken out, but the thing that I like the most about all of that is it is MY body, My journey, and I get to be a part of it instead of a bystander. I know that if I need more help with fills, I can get it. If I am too tight, I can have Fluid taken out. If i stay fat, I can not chase my kidlets, I can not do the family activities and have fun, and I may never make it long enough to love on any grandbabies! If I had gone on another diet, it may work this time.... or I may end up even heavier. If I had another type of surgery, it could work too, but i would not be the one working it but rather I would be at the mercies of just how my body dealt with it and the nutritional mess as time went on was NOT on my I can live with list. I dont know if that helps at all, but that is how I came about my choice. There really and truely are very successful banders out there and I hope you can hear from some to help lift up your impression of banding! :-)

Do not let the negatives run your life! I will be banded sometime next month and I have been reading all of these posts and have determined that EVERYONE gets frustrated at times. And more importantly, everyone is different! Reading the negatives doesn't stop me from wanting the band, in fact, I appreciate it because I know it's not going to be an easy journey and if I only saw positive posts/comments then I would feel like something was wrong with me if I wasn't feeling like rainbows and ponies when I woke up..you know?

You are right, the band is a tool so make it work for you! You control the band!

I hope you folks don't go into this with the attitude that you're likely to fail.

This is a relatively simple surgery with very few complications and a high

success rate. You have to pick your surgeon carefully (do a little research),

and follow his postop instructions and in a year you'll be a new you.

You don't hear from most of the thousands of people who have successful WLS.

Try to go into this with an attitude that you WILL succeed, and you will.

I will be banded on Oct 25th and I believe the lap-band will work if you do your part. You have to make good food choices, do your exercise, and take ownership of the process. You might want to view the videos on youtube.com by a lady called newtoy4kt. She has a wonderful series about her lap-band journey and she includes the victories and the struggles.

D

skinny.... this is your journey and only you can decide if you will succeed or fail.

Some people will have you believe that its a "magic bullet" and it takes no effort at all. That you will get the band and the magic LB fairy will sprinkle fairy dust and wow.... your thin.

Some say.... i never watch what i eat and i never exercise and i still lost weight..... well good for them.

You wouldn't join weight watchers and not count the points, or nutra-system and not eat the food, or get diet pills and not take them..... Get the point.

I will go out on a limb her and say that the "majority" of us had to work really hard to lose the weight. We watch what we eat and exercise. Because that's what our doctor tells us is the best way to work your tool. Does the band ALWAYS work.. no. Does it work for the majority of us....YES. Will you have days of "why did i do this".... yes. Will you have days when you wake up and think..... THANK GOD FOR MY LB........ YES. Make sure you listen to your doctor and to your tool. Go to the support groups and listen to them also.

I say go in with the I CAN attitude and you WILL defeat your weight. I hope you all the success in the world. Hope to see LESS of you soon.....lol

LIVE IN THE POSITIVE!!!!!

Great Advice from above ! Its all about your surgeon and what you do, If you do not follow the food rules then you may no be as successfull. After your band you will eat to live, not live to eat. Also ITS NOT A MIRACLE QUICK FIX, its a journey =)

I was banded march 23rd 2011 and wish i had done it when i was 25 not 35 !

I have my ups and downs, good and bad, but so far i have lost weight and kept it off. thats the goal for me ! i have lost weight my whole life, keeping it off is the key.

follow your Dr's orders, and just remember you are human !

people that eat bad, and continue to eat bad will never be successfull with the band, there are a lot of habbit s you have to break, and have to think to your self, Is it hunger or HABBIT? that is key also

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU !!!!

Unfortunately, negativity seems to be the theme of this site. People who are frustrated come here looking for answers and help. The vast majority of us are thrilled with our results but don't necessarily post the positives. Maybe we don't want to appear to be bragging or rubbing others noses in our success. You can't be afraid of failure. Follow your doctors instructions, use your common sense and set reasonable goals and you will more than likely reach them. If you want a positive story to help you not change your mind, here goes:

I struggled with my weight since I was about 3 years old. The day I graduated from high school (in 1978) I weighed 180 pounds. Not too bad for 5'9". I wore a 13. In the next few years I gained a little and was hovering around 205-210 by the time I married at 27. I became pregnant and ballooned to 280 the day my daughter was born. I got down to 217 when I discovered that I was preggers again. This time I was more careful and weighed 250 the day my son was born. This time the weight never came off. My marriage ended shortly after and the weight piled on from there. By the time by son graduated from high school I was 324 pounds and 48 years old. I had lapband surgery a week after his graduation. The weight fell off faster than I could have ever imagined. By my first bandiversary, I had lost 115 pounds. After that, the weight loss slowed down. I averaged about 1 pound a month for the next 2 years. This April I left my high stress job and, lo and behold, the weight loss sped up again. I have lost another 13 pounds since then for a grand total (so far) of 149 pounds. I currently weigh 175...5 pounds less than I did on my graduation day. I would like to lose another 13 which would bring me to 162 or 50% of what I was 3 years ago. If it happens, I'll be thrilled. If it doesn't, I'm still thrilled! I haven't felt healthier or more energetic....EVER!!!!

It's not an easy journey. In fact it's a very difficult one but is so worth it. You just have to persevere and not let the set backs get in your way. I know how I was before and I know how I am now. I honestly believe that if I can do this ANYBODY can. Good luck to you. You can do this!

My journey had been great. I am down 100lbs today! 7 months after being banded. It hasn't been easy but it was the best thing I ever did and would do it over a million times. The first month was tough for me. Very emotional. I was not prepared for the loss I felt, I mourned the loss of my best friend (food). I took it one day at a time and pushed through. I started working out with a trainer twice a week and on my own walking at least 3 other days about 8 weeks after surgery. That has really been the best thing I have ever done. I can officially say now I love it and feel the effects when I miss a day at the gym! :lol: Who would've thought? 7 months ago I couldn't comfortably walk up the stairs and now I can easily walk 5 miles.

This is all my own personal opinions and I don't claim to know how others are feeling but my belief is if you keep eating right, following what your doctor says and exercising it will start to come off - even if it is slow. Sometimes you can go a week or two with no loss but just keep at it and it will all catch up. I always say this is a journey to save my life and it will come off as slow as it needs to - as frustrating as that is. :rolleyes: Just keep at it. My new mantra is - Do you choose to simply know the path, or do you choose to walk it? (Hey whatever works!! ;) )

I wish you nothing but the best of luck with your journey! It is the best thing I ever did for myself!! Best wishes! :D

I believe if you are honest with yourself and wiling to work hard at it the lap band is a great tool. I have lost a lot, but I have been working at it since day 1. I started walking at 1 week and have not stopped since. I go to curves 5 days a week and now walk their and back. (two miles) Some days I add an extra 3 miles to it. I stay active and this summer rode my bike on our loop trail also. I keep my cals between 800-1000, some days I slip a little higher but not normally. I also drink about 100 ounces of Water a day and find my body craving it! (this coming from someone who never would drink plain water) I have also found I do better eating 5 to six times a day, my body likes it and I feel better getting Protein in more often. I also stay away from Protein Shakes because they are a slider food. I do get regular fills and am at a good point with mine right now. The weight loss has slowed down now that I am 30 from goal, but I know if I keep plugging along I should be there before my one year mark. You can do this, have faith in yourself and work the program.

I have lost 135 pounds. If I eat right, exercise and follow the basic LB rules, I lose weight. I've had my bouts of not exercising or eating not so healthy foods for a period of time. When I do this... I don't lose. I can only eat so much, I have great restriction, but I can eat junk food and when I do this I come to a stand still. I think we can all be sucessful, I don't care what anybody says... it is still a diet. I've learned so much during my journey and I'd do it again in a heartbeat! Even with the band, we are all responsible for our own outcomes!

Best of Luck to you!