Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone ever regret the surgery

Just had the band done yesterday (4/5/11)- cried since I got to my room. Keep telling myself I should have joined Weight Watchers again! Did anyone else feel this way. or am I insane? I'm nervous that I dont know what to eat.

Oh, Michele! I feel for you. I had the surgery about two weeks ago and I definitely felt the same way. I'm surprised your doctor didn't give you a nutritional plan. Here's what my doctor told me. Two weeks post surgery should be a liquid diet only. Today you should stick with broths and clearer liquids. I was able to graduate to full liquids (Protein shakes and cream Soups by day 2). There is not a ton to eat, but you can have popsicles, Soups (strained if there is anything in them, Miso and chichen broth are easy and good), any kind of Protein shake (I prefer Atkins as it has very little sugar and carbs). My big treat has been flavored ice.

Here's the deal, there's really no going back right now. It's all onwards and upwards (and downwards on the scale)! You made it to the other side. I'm still recovering in terms of sutures and some stomach digestive grumblings, but it gets better before you realize it.

I hope this has been helpful. Good luck!

Initially, I regretted it. I was banded on 4/1/2011. Now I feel wonderful, moving around more, and just embracing this lapband. My dr gave me book with all the phases of food. I know the 1st week you should be on strictly liquids until you see your dr. You can clear broths, sugar free Jello, sugar free popsicles, sugar free kool aid, crystal light, or wyler, Protein drink (whey Protein isolate) with skim milk., and clear no sugar added juice (no citrus)--apple, cranberry, or grape (must be diluted equally. Hope this works for you.

Just had the band done yesterday (4/5/11)- cried since I got to my room. Keep telling myself I should have joined Weight Watchers again! Did anyone else feel this way. or am I insane? I'm nervous that I dont know what to eat.

I was banded on 4/21 and I have had that exact same thought! I've also had some issues with pain and possible infection at my port site, so that hasn't helped at all! As I stood in my kitchen crushing up a huge antibiotic tablet, I can tell you that I wish I could just take that thing with a big glass of water!! If my infection does not clear up and they have to remove my port, I might have them remove the whole thing. While I knew all the risks, this was certainly not what I thought it would be! I'm hoping that once I've recovered from surgery and am off the liquid diet, I'll feel differently.

Good luck!

I did regret it for the first few days,only because,of the pain,but its been 2 weeks,and i am so happy i had it done.

Hope things are going better for you! I'm just looking into having the band.

Do you regret it now?

I'm nearly 6 months out from surgery and I have no regrets at all. I'm nearly 50 lbs lighter. I'm sleeping better. My "bad" knee no longer hurts. I'm more active that I have been in 20 years. My band has given me a new lease on life.

I remember thinking "What have I done to myself!!"...I had several other things done at the same time.(2 hernias and a lot of adhessions removed)...I would read how others that were banded the same day were going back to work and I kept thinking whats wrong with me...I still can't even walk without it hurting. Then I felt so weak from the liquid only diet..I thought this is the hardest thing I have ever done. And I had a MAJOR surgery and had my jaw broken in 5 places and had my mouth wired shut for 10 weeks!! (when I was 15)...but this was harder.

But now....I'm 4 weeks out and its awesome!! I have lost about 30 pounds counting the pre-op and I feel wonderful!! I don't know if its the weight loss, the diet or what....but I feel 5 years younger!! I have more spring in my step and more energy than I know what to do with!!

Hang in there it will get better!! It just takes time....It may even take more than 4 weeks....but just be patient and it will happen!!

I asked the same question at my 1st lap band support group, and they all gave me the same answer "my only regret is that i did'nt do it sooner !!! I m 4 months banded and have just attended my 4th support group meeting and i still have not had anyone say they regret it (me neither !!) The first few weeks were the hardest but when you start seeing results you'll be glad you did it. I feel SO much better ! Give it time ! Good luck !!

Just the first week....pain and thought of food deprivation in liquid stage. Then most recently when family was eating pizza. But then I think of the accomplishment of going from size 24 to 14...no regrets. I find I have to get creative with foods, walk more, and do more housework, amazing the energy I have now!

im still very much at the regrettin it stage. i had it done out of medical needs and my insurance paid for it so im not sure i cud reverse it if i tried,i guess im at the yucky no energy not light at the end of the tunnel stage

Thank you "Waitingpatiently" for your response. I am on day 9 post op (pureed food) and I'm weak and having a hard time functioning at work (no brain energy). Most days are good but this morning I'm feeling a little regret. I feel like I am wasting away (down 16 lbs pre and post op). I can't wait to feel strong and energetic again. I'll keep hanging in there!

Give your self some time you just got it , you will ajust to it and feel so happy when you start loosing , hang in there ;]

3 weeks post op no regrets I have lost 25 pounds and already starting to feel better health wise.Plenty more weight to loose just looking forward to the next few months ahead and the challenge.

post-344944-13813140677888_thumb.png