Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Average Amount for Restriction in a 14cc band?

I know everyone is different, and band fill amounts will vary. But I'm wondering if there is an average amount of fill a 14cc band takes before an average person feels restriction?

I have a 14cc band. My surgeon put 3cc's in it during surgery. My first fill is a week and a half away. So naturally I'm curious to get an idea of how far away (on average, of course), I'm likely to be from feeling restriction. What do you think? For those with 14cc bands who have restriction, what is your fill amount?

Thanks,

Dave

I have a 14cc band as well and was told that most don't reach restriction until 7-8cc. I was up at 8.75cc and still looking for restriction (when I misunderstood and thought it meant it would 'physically' restrict how much I could eat). Now I'm at 6cc and happy there because I am not hungry for 4 hours or so after a meal.

I have a 14cc band as well and was told that most don't reach restriction until 7-8cc. I was up at 8.75cc and still looking for restriction (when I misunderstood and thought it meant it would 'physically' restrict how much I could eat). Now I'm at 6cc and happy there because I am not hungry for 4 hours or so after a meal.

Sounds good. Thanks, Melody.

I'm still learning to listen to my system, and how to properly interpret what it's telling me. Since I went off liquids and onto soft foods I've been trying to find my "stride" of what and how much to eat, while keeping other things in balance. "Learning how to use the tool" is how I'm thinking of it. As I'm pretty well healed from surgery, I'm finding it easier to feel and listen to the band, which is definitely telling me how much I can eat. It's pretty interesting, really. And actually kind of simple, at least so far. All the rhetoric about Protein first, watch the carbs, drink lots of Water, and daily exercise are coming together into a daily process that seems to be working. The mini-plateau I hit after going away from just a liquid diet has evaporated, (as well as the few pounds I gained by doing that), and I expect the scale to begin dropping again for real in the next day or two.

The journey continues... :)

Dave

I posted on this a couple weeks ago and most people who responded were at above 8 ccs. I had no fill at surgery and have done 4, 3, 2, 2ccs during the last 8 weeks bringing me to 11ccs. I have only been able to eat soft foods the last 2 days and I'm thrilled about it. It may be a little tight but I'm willing to wait it out for another 2 weeks and see where I'm at.

I posted on this a couple weeks ago and most people who responded were at above 8 ccs. I had no fill at surgery and have done 4, 3, 2, 2ccs during the last 8 weeks bringing me to 11ccs. I have only been able to eat soft foods the last 2 days and I'm thrilled about it. It may be a little tight but I'm willing to wait it out for another 2 weeks and see where I'm at.

Wow, Jenn. That's amazing! A fill every two weeks? My surgeon waits about six weeks between fills, I think. Funny how everyone has their own individual experience. Let me know how things go, ok?

Thanks,

Dave

I was banded in early Nov and quickly lost 28 lbs by the end of Dec...all with an empty band. Currently, I can eat anything I want...rice, Pasta, bread...just enjoy these foods in smaller amounts. I feel like I'm eating like a "thin" person already. My old Breakfast was 2 eggs, bacon, hashbrowns & a bagel. Now its 1 egg, 1 turkey sausage link and 1 slice of toast...maybe even alittle potatoes. I'm still losing but of course at a much slower rate but I'm hoping I won't have any sagging skin issues by doing it slow. Also, I can still enjoy going out to eat and I'm not afraid of any "stuck" issues. (HATE to throw up!!)

At times I wish I can see a big jump on the scale but I know that this is for a lifetime...not just right this minute. With this all said...I only got 1cc fill on 12/28. Didn't feel any difference. My doctor said to see how much I lose in 4-6 weeks and that's when we can decide on another small amount or maybe a 1.5cc fill.

Hope everyone has a great year!

Jo

I had 3.5cc at installation. My first fill was another 2cc and I had restriction for about 2 weeks. Almost no restriction now. Getting another fill Monday, which I hope will be another 1.5 or 2cc, which would take me to 7 or 7.5. My doc normally will fill after 4 weeks,though he said that if there is no restriction, he will do it after 2 weeks, so I'm hoping that getting to my "sweet spot" won't take as long as some.

I'm glad you asked this. I also have a 14 cc band. My surgeon left 1.5 cc at the time of surgery (Oct 19th). Six weeks later I had my first fill of 2.5 cc. I really could not tell any difference. I was so hungry and could have ate anything at any time that I wanted, but I managed to stick to the recommended portion sizes. That month was really bandster hell! I had my next fill of 2 cc on Dec 28th and I am starting to feel it. Right now I have 6 cc and I am scheduled for my next fill on Feb 3rd. I'm not as hungry between meals, so I think I'm getting close.

Im at about 8.5cc. I have great restriction and can go about 4-5 hours without being hungry. Im losing at a steady rate. Hope this helps.

I have the 14 cc band and I now have 10.9 in my band and I have reached my sweet spot. I can eat and will not be hungry for 4-5 hrs later. Please don't get head hunger confused with actual stomach hunger. I've pretty much been heavy all m life and I'm still dealing with the head hunger issue. It has been a struggle for me to lose weight. I now understand the signals the band gives me to tell me "okay that's enough". I love the restriction. My biggest challenge is over the weekends. When I'm at work I'm too busy to think about eating (head hunger)....not the case when I'm home, so I try to keep myself busy so that head hunger won't bother me.

I had 3.5cc at installation. My first fill was another 2cc and I had restriction for about 2 weeks. Almost no restriction now. Getting another fill Monday, which I hope will be another 1.5 or 2cc, which would take me to 7 or 7.5. My doc normally will fill after 4 weeks,though he said that if there is no restriction, he will do it after 2 weeks, so I'm hoping that getting to my "sweet spot" won't take as long as some.

Follow-up: Doc tried to add 2cc today, but had to take back .5, so I'm now at 7 and have the most restriction I've had so far.

Hi!

I had my third fill today. I am at 8cc's now and still don't feel restricition. We'll see what the next few days bring but recently I have been getting hungry after about 3 hours of eating. I have good weight loss averaging 2.2 lbs a week though. I think I may just need to increase my Protein for Breakfast. It seems that Breakfast is the meal that just does not stick with me. I have been having a bowl of Cereal and a piece of toast-I really think I better go back to the egg whites and Protein shakes. In the beginning we just have to be patient and find wha works best for each of us. Everyone is different. Hang in there and good luck!

Question Mistybrooks...I thought I was told that Cereal was on the NO list? I used to LOVE my bowl of cereal in the morning! I assumed that it was not good since you have to have milk and there's no liquids with meals? Anyone else eat cereal?!

Dave, I was banded September 2nd with a 14cc REALIZE band with no fill at time of surgery. 5 weeks later I was given a 3 cc fill and then in November 3 cc more, still no restriction. In December he gave me 1.5 cc and I had restriction for 2 weeks but now nothing, so I'm figuring I'm close, just not there yet. I go tomorrow for my monthly visit and I'm hoping he will give me a small fill, but I did lose 7 pounds this past month, so I may have to wait a while longer. I've heard it takes 7 - 9 cc in a 14 cc, so hopefully I'm almost there. Wish me luck and I will do the same for you. Good Luck!

Hi Dave. I've got a 14 cc band and have had restriction along the way that then ceased as I lost more weight and thus required additional adjustments. I'm at 10.8 cc now and feel really good now, but am fairly certain that I'm not on my last adjustment based on past experience.

For those with 14cc bands who have restriction, what is your fill amount?