Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am so confused. I hear some people say their doctors tell them to wait 3 months before drinking any carbonated drinks.. .others say no carbonated drinks at all... EVER! My doc never told me one way or another.:blink:

I was just curious what experience everyone else has had. I know this is a doctor question... and I will ask him on my next appointment. I am just trying to get feedback from my fellow bansters :)

Carbonated drinks can cause the band to erode. My surgeon said not to drink at all. My cousin has the band & if she feels the need for a soda (once in a while) mixes it with a little Water?

Also one can of soda has lots of calories & hidden sugars. As far as other carbonated drinks I don't know the calorie amounts, but I was told to stay away from all carbonated drinks.

I am so confused. I hear some people say their doctors tell them to wait 3 months before drinking any carbonated drinks.. .others say no carbonated drinks at all... EVER! My doc never told me one way or another.:blink:

I was just curious what experience everyone else has had. I know this is a doctor question... and I will ask him on my next appointment. I am just trying to get feedback from my fellow bansters :)

I agree with SFL. I was told no soda ever! I was told it erodes the band over time with acid and carbonation. If you just have to drink a soda Im sure it wont kill ya, but then why bother if it can negatively effect you over time and cause you to need a new band. Its not worth it to me. Now ive had punch at a party that had soda in it but once I drank it I didnt mess with it after that

Carbonated drinks can cause the band to erode. My surgeon said not to drink at all. My cousin has the band & if she feels the need for a soda (once in a while) mixes it with a little Water?

Also one can of soda has lots of calories & hidden sugars. As far as other carbonated drinks I don't know the calorie amounts, but I was told to stay away from all carbonated drinks.

My dr says no carbonated drinks either, but he says it because it will make your stomach stretch and cause the band to slip. I'm started to feel like there really isn't any scientific proof to the whole carbonated thing because so many dr's say different things; however, I don't plan on going back to them just because I have been able to quit them, so why go back.

I have a questions about it causing band erosion and I'm asking this because I honestly don't understand...or maybe I just don't understand fully how my band works...but anyway...If the band is on the outside of the stomach, then how does acid from carbonated beverages, which is on the inside of the stomach, affect it.

My surgeon also said NO carbonated drinks!! On occasion i will steal a sip here and there but even a year post op I really cant tolerate it. A sip here and there is fine but if I tried to drink a whole glass the bubbles make me sick! Just not worth it

i'm a diet pepsi addict. my surgeon told me no carbonation for 90 days after surgery... along with no alcohol. i did stick with it for the 3 months but i'm back to drinking it now.

i'm 2.5 years post op and haven't had any problems other than when my band is empty and i take a sip of soda you can hear a gurgling sound as the liquid passes thru the band. it almost sounds like my stomach is growling but its just the Fluid passing thru the band. it only does it with carbonation though.

At my last Nut appointment she asked if I was drinking soda, milk, or juices. I said "I thought we weren't supposed to drink soda?" She said ahh yes but we ask. I replied "so your trying to catch someone admitting to soda" "umm yeah". In general doctors don't like carbonation, caffene, and sugar. Basically they don't want you to drink your calories. Yes I know soda can be sugar free. My doctor said I could have Regular coffee. The Nut said sure have regular coffee in the morning but switch over to Decaf. It is COLD her in NE.

It's so different from doctor to doctor -- I just asked mine last week at my fill. He said that it's not going to hurt me or my band. However, it could make me feel like crap as I could get all gassy from the carbonation build up. Said it was up to me. I personaly think if it is in moderation it's okay.

I slipped up one day and drank some of my daughter's Coke Icee...I don't know why, I just wasn't thinking. I got the worst gas pains in and around my neck! Felt just like it did after surgery. I will never drink another carbonated beverage!!!

I'm not sure how carbonation can erode the band, considering the band is OUTSIDE of your stomach. But I understand the theory that carbonation inside can "stretch" the pouch above where your band sits, thus defeating the purpose.

I think most Dr's will tell you no, never when they know it probably doesn't have much of an effect, it's just another way of limiting ways of drinking calories. I switched to diet coke years ago, and a regular coke is way too sugary for me now. I doubt I'll drink much diet soda in the future, if I'm going to "cheat" with carbonation, it's going to be with my namesake ;)

I'm not sure how carbonation can erode the band, considering the band is OUTSIDE of your stomach. But I understand the theory that carbonation inside can "stretch" the pouch above where your band sits, thus defeating the purpose.

I think most Dr's will tell you no, never when they know it probably doesn't have much of an effect, it's just another way of limiting ways of drinking calories. I switched to diet coke years ago, and a regular coke is way too sugary for me now. I doubt I'll drink much diet soda in the future, if I'm going to "cheat" with carbonation, it's going to be with my namesake ;)

I think it's more about trying to get you to adopt a new way of dealing with food, and how to make the most of what you have. If carbonation causes the pouch to stretch, then next time you eat you may eat more than you should, which could lead to further problems, and so on and so forth. Each little thing adds up, and could ultimately end in failure to lose weight.

Dave

My surgeon laughs at the remarks about eroding bands.My god the band is on the outside of your stomach. It would have to eat its way through to ever touch "the band" However she warns carbonation can expand the pouch and cause slippage. The main thing is if you want a beer or soda do it in moderation. It will be fine if you can tolerate it. Its all about the empty calories.

My Dr told me to limit the sodas. Also, because of the carbonation, they can make you very unconfortable. One suggestion I was given was to let it get a little flat before drinking it, totally flat soda is disgusting, but if you let it sit open for about 30 mins, it does dissipate some of the carbonation and make it not so bloating. I was not told to wait a certain length of time after my band was placed, and I have to admit that I have had some diet coke without problems. I go in for my first fill on Feb 1st, so I'm sure after there is some restriction in there it will be a totally different story for me. I have gotten to the point that I prefer Arizona Green Tea anyway (I use the tea bags so I can have it without sugar and calories), I go through ALOT of tea everyday which is fine with me.

my dr says its ok, and I drink it everyday and no problems.