Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

vomiting after every meal

I had my first fill on Oct 28th, the band had 5cc put in at the time of surgery, so the doctor added 1cc. I could drink Water fine and i went home. The next day i mostly had Soups etc, no probs, then when i would eat, it would stay down for a few minutes but then i had to throw up... every time, had to go back to liquids and then on the 2nd i had 0.5cc removed., but as soon as i had food the vomiting continued. So I just had the other 0.5cc unfilled yesterday, but have continued to vomit after eating. I'm wondering if it has slipped, or now i'm just so used to throwing up i do it?

It's not pleasant and now the doctor is out of town for a week. Has anyone heard of this type of thing happening?

Back to fluids for now... just a bump in the road i hope!

:thumbup:

If you can keep fluids down, your band probably didn't slip. You may have some swelling from the fill. Hopefully you will be better in a couple days. If not, I would stick to fluids until you can get into the doc. Hope you feel better soon!

I would question why the doctor did a 5cc fill at the time of surgery. You band needs time to heal and there is some residual swelling. Most doctors do not fill that much at surgery.

Also, if you are vomiting - that is a problem. Period. You shouldn't be vomiting if you are eating correctly. You sound like you are too tight. When you doctor returns discuss this with him and maybe get a complete unfill to let things settle down and see how you do with food. Then slowly get fills if you do better.

Good luck.

Wow that is a lot of fill so fast. I am 15 months out and only have 3.8 ccs in a 10cc band. About a month ago I had to have .2ccs taken out after being too tight for about 7 months. Some people do not require that much fill. My Doctor did not put any fill in until a month out and after that .5 ccs after every 15 lbs lost. I think slower is better for you to adjust to. I also vomited several times a week until I had some taken out.

Cheri

Edited by 123crod

It definetely sounds like your too tight....and vomitting of any type can and will cause a slip. I also wonder if your trying to eat too fast after your fill (and I question why your band was so tight to begin with also) I'm 20 months out and 5.9cc's was my sweet spot. After fills also, I have to take it easy...because of swelling. 2 days liquids, 2 days mushies, 2 days soft then normal diet. I found this out through trial and error. If your throwing up and your doctor is out of town, go to the hospital for your band to be unfilled.

Best wishes, hope you get better soon!!

Thanks for all your responses, i should also mention that i have been on antibiotics x 7days, (liquid, yuck) which maybe causing some of the nausea. My surgeon put in 5 cc during the operation.. i know weird, but i was fine, fine, fine until the first fill which looking back sounds like, was not needed, and i have had problems ever since. Not to mention an unexpected (unrelated) cellulitis. SO my doctor here, he is back today, decided to completely unfill my band until i have finished the antibiotics, then he will see me next week and either do a swallow assessment or if there is no further nausea start refilling the band.

I appreciate all your comments and think that when i get refilled i will start lower. Fingers crossed no slippage!

Thanks for all your responses, i should also mention that i have been on antibiotics x 7days, (liquid, yuck) which maybe causing some of the nausea. My surgeon put in 5 cc during the operation.. i know weird, but i was fine, fine, fine until the first fill which looking back sounds like, was not needed, and i have had problems ever since. Not to mention an unexpected (unrelated) cellulitis. SO my doctor here, he is back today, decided to completely unfill my band until i have finished the antibiotics, then he will see me next week and either do a swallow assessment or if there is no further nausea start refilling the band.

I appreciate all your comments and think that when i get refilled i will start lower. Fingers crossed no slippage!

The Lap Band is usually installed empty, with the first fill a few weeks later. The Realize band s usually filled with 5cc's when installed. (At least that is what my Doc told me.)

My lapband was filled with 2.7cc at surgery. My sweet spot is 5.3cc for now.

having antibiotics can cause stomache irritation at the best of times, but i had a fill a week last tuesday and experienced the same problem. i went back to liquids for 3 days to allow my stomache to settle, then i went onto mushies for 3 days and yesterday started again with normal food i will be a year out at the end of this month and now have 7.25ml in a 10ml band. the problems i have had after a fill has always been my own fault of trying to eat as i did before the fill, everytime you have afill you need to eat slower and chew alot more because your band willl be tighter than before and wont allow the same size food through as before. also the more restricted you are the more likely that certain foods can no longer be tolerated. go back to basics with your eating and then try and introduce other foods slowly so that you can gage what you can and cannot eat again. its not that your band will have slipped although i hope it hasn't it could be that you simply are not allowing for the adjustment and try to eat as you did before the fill.