Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have anyone experienced acid reflux. Since my last fill, I wake u 4 to 5 times a day with this problem. Its like im choking during my sleep. I stopped eating late at night and drinking and I still have this problem. Any suggestions.

Yes! That's exactly what happened to me. My band was too tight, they took out some Fluid. My doc said that as you get right around your "sweet spot" every .5 cc makes a difference. I had a .3 cc fill at my last fill, and I ended up having to go back to take out .1 cc and just today had another .1 cc removed. After the first .1 that came out, I felt better, but then it started again recently. I'd wake up in the middle of the night with vomit in my mouth and a burning sensation in my esophagus. The doctor also told me that the more acid you have building up in your stomach and esophagus, the tighter your band gets because your stomach and esophagus get swollen. They did an esophogram to make sure I didn't have slippage, which thankfully I didn't. She prescribed some pills for the reflux, hopefully that will work. Your band is probably too tight, you should have it checked.

Same thing happened with me. I went in and had a bit of an unfill and I no longer have the reflux!

Don't delay in getting some Fluid taken out of your band. It only takes weeks and you can do permanent damage to your esophagus because of the acid. Look up Barrett's esophagus on webmd for complications of letting acid reflux go on.

This is my problem now. Filled last Monday and have had reflux ever since. I am going to have to make an appt. this Monday. I am even having it come up when I am sleeping strait up in the recliner. I can't take this. I had reflux before surgery and don't want it again. I also have not been able to keep much down. Everything wants to come up. I'm hurting right now. Have been taking Omeprazole, pepto, and drinking milk with no relief. I am miserable!!!!:redface:

So I'm pretty sure that I am having the exact same problem right now. I'm so tired and weak, but I can't fall asleep because I keep having reflux. I would go in to have them take some out, but, alas, I am at school in Idaho where the closest doctor is an hour and a half away, and he's not my actual doctor. Is there anything I can do? HELP!!!!

I know, my doc is 45 min away, but I can't take this. Don't even have an appetite, this is great but kinda afraid to eat anything. I have got to go tomorrow. I slept in the recliner again last night and did good, but I'm ready to sleep in my bed again. I'm gonna go to see him tomorrow. My husband and mom stayed on me all day yesterday, but what can you do about it on a Saturday!!!

Yeah...I "slept" sitting up last night (I have one of those backrest things with the arms) and got a maximum of two hours of sleep last night. Whenever I would fall asleep, I would wake up burping/almost barfing. I feel awful! But I can't miss church because I have to teach!

And, my insurance is kind of messed up right now, and aspirations are ridiculously expensive. I just don't know what to do. I mean, I'm definitely going to call my doctor tomorrow (1800 miles away) and ask him, but what can he do so far away? This really sucks. Is there anything I can do? I'm miserable!

By the way, thanks for responding!

I have been having this problem for over 6 weeks now. I have had two band unfills now and am still getting sick. Last night was my first decent night of sleep that I have had in quite some time. I went back to a mostly liquid only diet yesterday. I figured that since everyone was saying that with the reflux your esophogus is swollen, it needs me to be gentle to it for a day or two. So I had Protein Drinks, Water and broth yesterday. I had already been doing the not eating or drinking at least 4 hours before going to bed and up to 2 Prilosec a day and avoiding caffeine and spicy foods. I only woke up 2 x's last night and the getting sick was much more minimal than previous nights. The night before I had probably only slept about 2 hours total. I'm going to let myself have some soft stuff today and see how that goes. I hope that this helps you all out as well. Give it a try.:)

OMG! You are so far away. Girl, I have taken my acid medicine, Mylanta, pepto ,milk, just about everything you can imagine with no help. The only thing I can think of that will help is a small unfill. I am calling today. I am dying. Choked again last night. I tried to sleep in my bed and slept on 3 pillow. Is there any MD close to you that your MD may call and get you in for an unfill. I know there is a money issue, but you can't keep on this way. I'm a nurse and I know all about reflux and what it can do if it's not controlled.

I just had this happen to me. I coughed and threw up in my mouth at night. My doctor unfilled me completely today!!! I had .25 cc added on Thursday. I lost 9.5 pounds since then. Yes, you heard right, ALL 5.25 CC's are completely out for one week and then I can go back in one week to start refilling. Needless to say, I am very upset today but I know it's best and he is just looking out for my best interest. You can do permanent damage to yourself if you are not careful. Call your doc immediately and get in there. You could cause your band to have to be removed and cause cirulation problems.

Well, I went yesterday and doc took out 1/2 of the 0.5 ml fill I got Monday week. He did not removed all my fill, just that. When he took it out I felt instant relief. It was awesome. I even slept all night lying down and it was the best sleep ever. My appetite came back some too. It's ok though. I stayed so nauseated the past week that I don't care. My restrictions is still real good. I had my surgery on Feb. 19, 2009 and have lost 86#. I have about 25-30 more to go. I really love my band even though it can be real moody at times. Like I said before I'm a nurse and know all about reflux and it is not pretty. Thanks so much to everyone who responded. We are all in this together!!!:thumbup:

I think I am experiencing this also. I had my first fill last Thursday and everything seemed fine. Over the weekend I kept getting what felt like bubbles coming up in my throat when I swallowed, I felt as there was force pushing it back up so I couldn't get a good swallow down. Well as of yesterday, It has been non-stop. It feels like I have a swollen thyroid or something? I am able to drink Water, eat with no problem. I have not vomited or PB. So I'm not sure what is going on?

That may just be trapped air because of your fill. After a fill you can and usually have some swelling. I many times get what fills like a air bubble in my throat and have trouble burping. It's a pain, but have learned to deal! As long as you can keep stuff down and are not hanging up everytime you eat I would see if it will subside. Hope this helps and is what you are looking for. It does not sound like reflux. Reflux usually comes up in your throat at night and you strangle on it and may have horrible heartburn!

[

Edited by Bamagirl78

That may just be trapped air because of your fill. After a fill you can and usually have some swelling. I many times get what fills like a air bubble in my throat and have trouble burping. It's a pain, but have learned to deal! As long as you can keep stuff down and are not hanging up everytime you eat I would see if it will subside. Hope this helps and is what you are looking for. It does not sound like reflux. Reflux usually comes up in your throat at night and you strangle on it and may have horrible heartburn!

Thank you so much!! I've never had acid reflux and was trying to figure out what was going on since I don't really have any of the other problems. I have no problems at night, it starts up in the morning and gets worse as the day progresses but does not interfere with anything. The only uncomfortable problem is the bubbles just hanging out in my throat. I'm glad I'm not alone. I will give it a week or so! Thanks again!