Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I will be getting banded about October 2010...I am doing the 6 month insurance wait. ughhh I hate waiting that long but at least I will be able to get banded!! I am so excited and doing a lot to start preparing for it...

A few weeks ago my hubby stopped smoking cold turkey bc he pretty much had too. So I was thinking to myself huh if he can do it so can I!! I figured if I could go ahead and stop smoking now once I get banded I can workout without being so out of breath etc!! So last weekend I tried to do it cold turkey!! I went 12 hours without of but then bam I was at the store buying a pack. I told hubby after that pack that was it!!! So here I am a week later and done with that pack I bought last weekend...I am happy to say I am on day TWO without smoking!!! I still kinda want one but I have been telling myself NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Just had to share!!! BABY STEPS!! :bored:

Great work. I do not smoke but I watched my husband try to quit for years but it didn't work until he really had a reason to quit. Your band could be just the motivation you need. I had to wait 18 months for my band, so jsut use the time to read, learn, talk to others and really be ready. I am finally gettng banded April 7!

Congrats to both of you on the start of happier and healthier life!

Thanks guys!! Day three today and so far so good. I keep telling myself I can so get threw this and I know if I can get threw it I can def get threw LapBand!!

Froggie D CONGRATS!! April 7 is just a few days away!! Wish you all the best!!

Jenny WOW!!! Way to go on your weight loss! That is awesome!!!

I am almost 1 year not smoking and it was the hardest thing I ever did. I smoked 2 packs a day, it was like a pay raise for me LOL. Go to Quit Smoking Journals - Free Quit Smoking Support Group and Stop Smoking Journal if you need support, it's a great quit smoking site. I would not have succeeded in my quit without the great support there.

Thanks for that info!! I see you and I are set to get banded in October!! Yay us!! Good luck with everything.

Congrats!! Also remember if you're a non-smoker by the time your surgery comes around you will be less at risk for complications from surgery and you will heal faster!

I've been smoke-free for 3 years now but I have to accredit it to some (lots of) help from Wellbutrin XL :smile2:

Congrats and keep it up!! You can do it!:)

I quit 8 months ago and it was definitely the hardest thing I ever had to do. I couldn't do it cold turkey, though. I did the patch and supplemented with nicotine gum when bad triggers hit. It made all the difference!

Give it a few months and you will notice a healthier you!

~Lori

Hi there! I need quit ASAP myself!!! I'm hoping to be banded in May and my surgeon told me to quit. I've begun reading this book "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking" By Alan Carr. It came highly recommended! My best friend read the book almost 3 years ago and as soon as she read the last page of the book - she hasn't smoked since! I'll keep you posted as how I do when I try to finish the book tomorrow on my day off. Hoping that it works just as well for me. Good luck to you!!

Good luck girl! Keep me posted. So far I have gone a WEEK without smoking!! I'm doing pretty good. There are a few times a day when I still reallllly want one but it I give it a few minutes that feeling passes! I have already noticed a changed in my sleeping and breathing in just 1 week!:thumbup:

You made it a week---awesome!

Quitting smoking is one of the hardest things to do. There just aren't any other drugs that do so "much" for a person. Think about it. The smoker can use a cigarette for stimulation. OR for relaxation. Without any conscious awareness, you can use more or less---take deeper drags or shallower puffs---to create dose-dependent effects. And you tie it in to all kinds of other behaviors, so it becomes really entrenched in your day-to-day life. (You know: cig with coffee, cig after a meal, cig when you drink alcohol---all those connections with other activities. Those behavioral things are really, really hard to break.)

AND YOU'RE DOING IT! Pretty amazing feat, if you ask me!

I quit about 11 years ago, but used many crutches, including the patch--which (at my doctor's recommendation) I tapered off of much more slowly than the package recommends.

Slowly tapering the nicotine allowed me to work on the habits surrounding smoking (things like the urge to have a cigarette with coffee, after a meal, etc...) so that, by the time all the nicotine was out of my system, I already had formed the new behaviors and felt like a nonsmoker.

It was relatively painless (in an excruciating way LOL)---and I really did break that connection between smoking and other behaviors. I have rarely even thought of it since (and I was a long-time smoker with some pretty deeply-entrenched habits).

I bring this up only because the recidivism rate with quitting is pretty high. If you backslide (and I'm not saying you will---just offering a tool in case you need it), don't beat yourself up. Just talk to your doctor about things that might bump up your chance of success.

Quitting will be THE BEST thing you do for your body. Better than the band, even. And with relation to that, it will make your recovery (and pouch health forever after--because smoking increases risk of ulcers) SO much safer and more comfortable.

Great job! And good luck--you can do it!

I have quit in the past and am doing it again. I have that bad habit of wanting to smoke the last one. I cannot throw them away, they are just too expensive. SO, now as of an hour ago, I smoked my LAST one. FOR good. Good job on the time ya'll! Doing this for us.....and our families. I am stoked. (ok, say that now Kelly, say that now.)

Good Luck All!

K:blink:

YAY me!!! One week down!! I already feel much better!! Thanks for the support! There are still a few moments when I want to pick a smoke up but I'm NOT!! :biggrin: Thanks again

GOOD ON YA! You GO! I succummbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbed to the smoke and smoked Friday and Sat. Then Sat night I smoked my last. This am I smoked one but will not again. Baby steps. Baby steps.

K:blush:

GOOD ON YA! You GO! I succummbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbed to the smoke and smoked Friday and Sat. Then Sat night I smoked my last. This am I smoked one but will not again. Baby steps. Baby steps.

K:blush:

girl it is baby steps i tell ya!! i am on day 9 now & this weekend was tough!!!!!! my hubby and i got a wild hair up our butt and decieded at 9 pm to paint our kitchen...for some odd reason i kept wanting to go smoke!!! i stayed strong and resisted!! i dunno how i did but i did