Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandster Updates

Many have asked for an update and I couldn't find the old thread so here's a new one.

I had surgery on March 4th and had my first post of visit today and lost 16lbs! I've been pretty hungry and have had to increase my Protein over the past week but glad to know the number is going down. Met with the nutritionist today too after my appt and I am so disgusted with them. The literature they give you is conflicting and then they gave me conflicting information one nurse said I could start solid foods and then the nutrionist said one more week on mushies-truly frustrating! Anyway the good news is I'm losing weight although I have a long way to go. How are my fellow March Bandster's doing?

Had my band on 3/15, so about 10 days ago. Beyond the expected pain for the first two days, my recovery was fairly smooth. liquids the first week, now on mushy food - though I do feel ready for regular food.

Had felt some restriction if I eat fast, so must continue to work on adjusting my behavior. Mentally, not doing the best and will see an psychologist soon to help with that aspect.

I have my follow up the first week of April, so will find out more then; what my path and plan will be.

Losing weight, putting some exercise into my life...so, that is great. I'd so far, mentally the challenge has been far worse than physically.

i got my band on march 12. stayed overnight in the hospital (insurance requirement) but glad i did because that first night was rough. actually the first week was pretty rough. but i'm doing pretty good now. :)

had my first post op appt yesterday (wednesday) and it went well. i've lost 12 pounds so far and was moved onto mushies. they are going down fine but i do find myself getting hungry in between meals.

trying to step up my exercise to walking at least 30 min everyday. then once i get that going well, gonna try that couch to 5k thing.

have decided our family is gonna participate in a walk for autism awareness that's coming up on april 17. family doesn't know about it yet, but i'll tell them tomorrow. lol it's gonna be fun!!!! :lol:

I had mine on March 9th. Usual first week pain. Weight is coming off well, I feel really good and been walking every day.

I am down almost 50 pounds total, and about 24 in 2 1/2 weeks since surgery. I have been cooking a lot, and planning meals ahead, so it has been a lot easier this week.

Savanna, I was banded on the same day, March 4th. I've lost about the same amount of weight, and still have 1 week of mushies to go. I feel ready for real food too, but I'm trying to be good. I feel great, back to normal energy. Just have some port pain occasionally, especially if I turn over suddenly in bed or lean up against something.

My first doctors visit is still 2 wks away. Don't know if I'll be getting a fill, got 4ml put in during op, and all is working well. Don't feel hungry, except sometimes before meals, and a small amount fills me up. Not sure if I'm eating so little because of the band, or because I'm scared of getting stuck or PB after reading all these posts. Doesn't matter either way, I'm losing weight.

Good to hear from the March bandsters.

I had my surgery on March 22nd. The day after surgery I had GAINED 9 POUNDS! They tell me it was swelling and I was retaining the Fluid they pushed before and after surgery. Today, 4 days after surgery I am back down to were I was before surgery 229. I had lost 11 pounds in 11 days on the preop diet. I am moving with no problem today, getting in and out of bed with no problem. I only took pain meds the first night home. I am very hungry and I really find I miss chewing. Does anyone else miss chewing while on the liquids? I start mushies on Monday, one week after surger.

I had my surgery on March 22nd and I went back to work yesterday. My incisions are a bit tender but not too unbearable. It's the darn GAS that is killing me. I keep feeling like I need to burp but I physically CAN'T. So, Gas-X and I are best friends right now.

My doctor only had me do Clear Liquids 1 day and then on to mushies/pureed foods. So, I've been on those for a few days. I've been adding Protein powder to everything I can get my hands on. Right now, I'm about 2 lbs down from my surgery day weight, but I also just got a visit from Mother Nature, so I'm hoping maybe she brought 2 - 3 lbs with her that will go bye bye when she leaves.

Yesterday I went for a good walk during lunch at work. Might do it today, too. I'm still trying to get that gas bubble out. :lol:

It's so good to hear about everyone's successes! It's so inspirational to me! :)

I had my surgery on March 9th. Had quite a scare 2d post op...? Pulmonary embolism (blood clot to lung), but am doing fine now.

I've lost 11# since surgery. I had gained 8# w/surg, but they had to give me a lot of extra fluids for my low blood pressure. All in all, I think I am doing really well. I am on mushies til my post op appt on 3/31. I pretty much eat the same thing every day and so far am very content w/that. I have had a french fry here and there as well as some meat (sm bites) from a hamburger, but no problems and definately NOT making a habit of it!

My kids and I have been walking 2.5miles daily when weather permits. So far so good!

Best of luck to all my fellow bandsters!

I had my band on 3/22 (Monday) and I feel really good. I'm pretty impressed with how I've recovered. I was a little worried because I required oxygen until the following morning, but apparently the anesthesia and Dilaudid pump, paired with my asthma, make this normal.

Went home on Day 2. On "full" liquids and just dreaming of the day I can chew. I made my cream of wheat a little thick yesterday and definitely felt the restriction. Working on moving around -- went to Target today. I haven't needed any pain meds since the night I got home (they made me nauseous anyway).

All in all, I'm very happy. No regrets -- yet!

I had my surgery on march 19, 2010, was in pain for the first 3-4 days (gas pains) but as of late i'm feeling really good. I was on clear liq. For 3 days now i'm on full liq. For 10 days than on to musies. I don't know if this is cheating but i had some hummus(2tblspn) yesterday, now i feel guilty cuz. It's on the mushie stage, and i'm not there yet. All and all i've lost 12 lbs. And started walking.

I was banded March 19th 2010. I was up walking the halls of the hospital within a few hours of waking up. My diet was 1 week of Clear liquids, today is my first day of full liquids... who knew Tomato Soup could taste so good?!

I have a week of full liquid diet before I start adding any mushies. I've lost 20 pounds in the first week of being banded, obviously due to the clear liquid diet, but I've yet to feel hunger at all. Thinking I may still be having some swelling.

Wow, congratulations everyone. Sounds like we're all off to a great start.

Hi all...

I was banded on the 24th....2 days ago. I have been in more pain than I had expected. I'm walking around better but this darn gas is killing me....The first day in the hospital, I was so worried that with every movement I would hurt the band....I also weighed this morning and gained 3 pounds. My Dr.s office called to check on me and told me the weight gain was from the IV fluids and not to weigh til i get into my post op visit. I have no appetite, and having trouble getting all my Water in. Dr's office said as long as I take a sip every 10 minutes i wont get dehydrated and I am getting like 32 ounces in. I need to get one really good burp out and its just not coming......I think if I could burp I'd feel much better....I am feeling emotionally very excited and proud of myself for doing this. I think this is really gonna change things around for me. I am very committed and excited. Want to try to walk outside but just in my parking lot near my building. everything inside is just so sore....I have a lot of bad bruising on my abdomen....I am hoping tomorrow i will feel good enough to stop the pain meds and take only Tylenol. So glad to be on the other side now.....Here we go!!!!

Meg

Good for you!! I'm 3wks banded today!:tt1: The gas will ease up, but it'll take awhile. I'm still having issues with that. It was the hiccuping that killed me the first couple days after surgery! Just don't push yourself and rest when you need too. And liquid tylenol is awsome!! Works almost as quick as narcotics, without the loopy feeling :eek:! Good luck and stay strong!

My surgery date was March 18th and today is my first day with no gas pains...whew! I'v lost 10 lbs post surgery and 3 lbs during pre-op. I started my mushies today, but having trouble figuring out what foods are mushies. Today I had oatmeal w/nonfat dry milk for added Protein, 1 Adkins shake w/nonfat dry milk, and canned tuna with creamed spinach. Is that considered a typical "mushy" day?