Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Loosing Hair Post-Op

I am pretty much accepting any changes (good and bad) the Lap Band will bring me. However, I am a little upset about the idea that I may loose some, half or whatever of my hair! :biggrin::unsure: Sounds like eating more Protein, etc. doesn't really help, and you have to loose it and then it will grow back.

Experiences please!

I am 8 months out and have had no unusual hairloss. I eat a normal well balanced diet that includes all food groups and do not focus on Protein. I take a daily multi Vitamin when I remember!

Don't stress about hairloss - it does not happen to the majority of people.

Thanks Elcee for your response! Good news! Thanks!

Ok well I have some bad news for you :unsure: I had my op May 7 2009 and I have continuously lost my hair !! It is quite thin now and nothing I have done up until this point has helped....thankfully though, it looks as though it's starting to thicken back up again *fingers crossed*..

I havent lost any more hair than normal, I have always shedded a lot. Now if I would just quit pulling out the gray ones!:unsure:

hair goes through shed and growth cycles about every 3 months i havent had any more shedding than normal which is alot. As long as y ou have new growth coming in dont worry about it.

Hi Tegan,

I am so sorry about your Hair loss. I went to a seminar last night that my surgeon put on, and I asked the question about hair loss. He said about 6 mos out, you will loose some hair but it will grow back. He said they think it is due to less fat intake. He mentioned some people have had luck with olive oil Shampoo. Also, what about putting a tab of butter on veggies?

I met with my NUT and she said some people have Hair loss from the anestetic and others have hair loss starting at 3 months post op. She said this usually happens because people fall away from a good diet and are not eating properly. Hope this helps.

I am six weeks out, and I lost some hair during the first three weeks, but it is growing back. I try to make sure that I get enough Protein and healthy fats (olive oil, nuts) in my diet, and I try to remember to take my Vitamins. The Vitamin part is a challenge because they are chewables and taste like chalk. After I'm done with this bottle I am switching brands.

Don't worry. If you end up losing a little hair, it is a small price to pay to be leaner and healther!

Thanks Bella! What chewables taste like chalk?

eat Protein, take Bition and wash ur hair with NIOXIN and that should help..thats what Im doing now, its great! My hair got soo thin but now its thick and I've been doing all of this for 1 month! So maybe u should consider doing those 3 for a good month to see if it will work for you or u can do some research. Good luck

my band is still a baby (only one week old today) so i can't share any post banding Hair loss experience of my own. however, i do know that a friend of mine started losing her hair pretty bad a few months after banding and the hair loss lasted for a while and then slowly started thickening up again. i figured it was from Protein issues but i noticed someone here mentioned the anesthesia and i have the urge to think that might more be the issue. the reason i think that is because i know that after having both my kids (and receiving epidurals) i had horrible hair loss for months and i didn't have any other health issues then. who knows? i hope my hair doesn't start going. if it does, i'm doing the nioxin thing someone mentioned!

Thanks Ms. Fab for the great tips!!!!! You look like you have a good head of hair!

Thanks for the update, "Dont"!