Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I qualify for lap band?

Hi..i'm 5"6" 1/2 and I weight around 248-249. Will I qualify for lapband? Besides being overweight, i'm in good health. I have a visit with the surgeon next week but I dont' want to waste my time if i don't qualify. What do you think?

You barely qualify at 5'6" and 248 pounds.

Drop that half inch stuff or you don't qualify.

Have you checked your insurance policy to see if you are covered for bariatric surgery?

I have oxford and they said if I have a bmi of 40 and above its covered

You barely qualify at 5'6" and 248 pounds.

Drop that half inch stuff or you don't qualify.

Have you checked your insurance policy to see if you are covered for bariatric surgery?

I have oxford and they said if I have a bmi of 40 and above its covered

There are millions of BMI calculators all over the web. Here's one: Calculate your BMI - Standard BMI Calculator

I used this BMI calculator: Calculate your BMI - Standard BMI Calculator

According to that at 5'6" and 248 pounds, your BMI is 40 at 249 pounds your BMI is 40.2. So, just by your BMI, you are a good candidate for surgery. (I don't know what btrieger was talking about when he said you don't qualify. People with a BMI of 35 do get the surgery...)

You are just on the border of getting the surgery without having an comorbidities. Call up your insurance and find out their requirements. Then find a surgeon, go a seminar, and hopefully set up the first appointment.

Good luck!

you can qualify with a BMI of under 40 if you have 2 comorbidiy factors. I had a BMI of 38 with Diabetes and sleep apnea. My current BMI is 35... My surgery date is April 9.

I used this BMI calculator: Calculate your BMI - Standard BMI Calculator

According to that at 5'6" and 248 pounds, your BMI is 40 at 249 pounds your BMI is 40.2. So, just by your BMI, you are a good candidate for surgery. (I don't know what btrieger was talking about when he said you don't qualify. People with a BMI of 35 do get the surgery...)

You are just on the border of getting the surgery without having an comorbidities. Call up your insurance and find out their requirements. Then find a surgeon, go a seminar, and hopefully set up the first appointment.

Good luck!

The OP states a height of 5' 6 1/2" not 5' 6".

5' 6 1/2" at 248 is a BMI of 39.4. At 249 it is 39.6.

That is what btrieger was talking about.

The OP said there are no co-morbidities.

5'6" at 248 is 40.0. With no other co-morbidities, many insurance companies will not cover a BMI less than 40.

The OP needs to shrink a half inch or wear heavy boots and a sweater on the scale. This is not a time to dress light to go see the doctor for fear of a lecture on the evils of being overweight.

But I have heard of some surgeons weighing patients wearing a gown.

The OP states a height of 5' 6 1/2" not 5' 6".

5' 6 1/2" at 248 is a BMI of 39.4. At 249 it is 39.6.

That is what btrieger was talking about.

Thanks Denise.

That is exactly what I was talking about and for the record, I NEVER said she didn't qualify.

Thanks Denise.

That is exactly what I was talking about and for the record, I NEVER said she didn't qualify.

:thumbup: Welcome.

My surgeon measured my height. He took my weight in clothes, though. So, I did have a little bit of fudge factor there. Not that I needed it.

Hi..i'm 5"6" 1/2 and I weight around 248-249. Will I qualify for LAP-BAND®? Besides being overweight, i'm in good health. I have a visit with the surgeon next week but I dont' want to waste my time if i don't qualify. What do you think?

I was right on the border of qualifying without needing to deal with the hassle of co-morbs.... I drank lots of Water right before my appointment, kept my cell phone in my pocket and didn't stand up totally straight. :blushing:

I am in the first month of my insurances coverage process. I have Aetna and with our insurance they require you to have atleast a 2 year history of being obese along with a bmi of 40 or higher with no comorbidity. Or 35 or higher with comorbidities. Along with this I have to have a 3 month charted weight and diet plan with my doctors office. I have to meet with a pyschologist "I have already done" and meet with a dietician "doing so next week". The best thing I can offer you is telling you to contact your insurance company and see what your plan covers and what steps you need to take to get approved. Go ahead and meet with the doctor his office will help with the insurance part and seeing what you need to do if you want to do it all through them. Don't be afraid to call your insurance company and ask questions. I did everything and set everything up myself before I ever met with the surgeon. I wanted to speed things up as much as I could on my end. Best of Luck to you as of now with your hight and weight you are at the required bmi with no comorbidities.

This is a little funny. When I went in for my first weigh-in the nurse weighed me but then had me take off my shoes. I was like, why? This is the only weigh-in where I don't care if they are on, right? I was 3lbs lighter without them, but still calculated to a 40.1 BMI. Just made it.

I have Oxford also. I am at a BMI of 35-36 and got approval in less than two weeks. I really did not think I would qualify but had no issue.

Congrats!! I called oxford and they said I have to have a bmi of 40 or above. My consultation appt is on Friday so I'm praying that I qualify!!

I have Oxford also. I am at a BMI of 35-36 and got approval in less than two weeks. I really did not think I would qualify but had no issue.