Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello! Hello! New here...

Hi there guys!

Let me introduce myself...

My name is Melanie, and am from Litchfield Park, AZ. I am 31, 5'6" and am currently 212 pounds. I joined this forum because, after YEARS of trying what seems like EVERYTHING on this planet, commiting myself to rigorous work out routines 3 days a week, walking 3 miles 4 days a week, watching what I eat, and focused every second of every day on my health, I still can't lose the weight.

The real kick in the face is that, while physicians have no problem vocalizing and labeling me as OBESE, I feel that I have no support or viable options to help myself be removed from that category. My BMI (according to online calculators) is 34.2...just shy of the required 35 BMI, IF I had some sort of Morbid disease...which I don't. I am as healthy as a horse...never even catch the flu...which to a "normal" person would be FABULOUS, but for me....well, (and trust me, I know how terrible this sounds) it's almost a curse.

I plan to pay for my surgery out of pocket, and hubby is 100% supportive.

So, the reasons for my joining this forum are as follows:

1. Did anyone on here ever find themself in the predicament I'm in? What did you do?

2. Should I meet with a Dr. to see what my options are...ie. GAIN some of the weight I HAVE lost over the years?

3. Are there any members on here who live in the Phoenix area who know of a reputable surgeon that they would recommed?

4. On average, how much did this surger cost you if you paid out of pocket??

Thanks so much!

Melanie

I am not self pay, but I've had concerns for those that are. Based on my experiences thus far, I would be concerned about the costs AFTER the surgery. I'm getting fills every 2 weeks while I'm trying to get to the sweet spot. I'm getting small fills (.5cc) because I never want to be overfilled again. If I was self pay, I wouldn't be able to justify the fill expense. Not sure what it costs for a fill self pay, but I see how this could get very expensive very fast, or force you to get larger fills that may get you too tight.

Also, I really think I have a leak. If I have a leak, I am hopeful that my insurance will cover the repair. If I was self pay, would I be able to afford the surgery to repair it?

I'm just trying to point out that there are a lot of expenses that come after the surgery. Personally, I was going to try to self pay if insurance hadn't covered me, but now I really don't think I would have been able to afford the aftercare.

Good luck in your journey!

Hmmm...good points.

I know my insurance does NOT cover the surgery. They print it in black & white in my coverage manual.

Thoughts?

There's True Results in Scottsdale, Weight loss center in tempe, Dr. Simpson in your part of the woods ( great credentials ). Self pay in the US is at least 15,000 from what I have seen on this board. Some of the Doc's in Mexico come highly recommended as well and the cost is a 3rd of the US. Good luck on your journey, Waynooo:thumbup:

I was self pay in Dallas with Dr Kim at Forest Park. It was $10,200 with 6 months fills at Forest Park. I think he does it for $9500 without the fills. If you decide to travel, I recommend finding a local fill Dr first. I have my fills done under floro and I think it makes a big difference. I think the people who have the least success don't have a plan for the fills before they have surgery. I believe the fills are more important than the band itself. By the way, its worth every dollar.

I paid $15,000 at True Results in Scottsdale. That cost includes a year of aftercare. I believe that Dr. Simpson was $16,400 with two years of aftercare included; many people love Dr. Simpson, but I liked True Results better.

I've heard of people putting ankle weights on when they go in for their first appointment at a surgeon's office to push them over the threshold. I'm not advocating it, just saying that I've heard of it happening :tongue_smilie:

There's True Results in Scottsdale, Weight loss center in tempe, Dr. Simpson in your part of the woods ( great credentials ). Self pay in the US is at least 15,000 from what I have seen on this board. Some of the Doc's in Mexico come highly recommended as well and the cost is a 3rd of the US. Good luck on your journey, Waynooo:thumbup:

I went through True Results in Houston, and I love it!!! The staff is awesome. Most of them have had the surgery themselves and look fabulous.

thank you to you all who have responded!

Some questions...

Abou how slow/fast did you (anyone) lose the weight...1 pound/week, 5 pounds/month??

once you lose the weight...do you keep the lap band for life? How does it wear over the years...in other words, will it ever become a "rotting" issue?

Once you lose the weight, what percent of you have felt the need to have tummy tucks/other plastic surgery?

Thank you so much!!:tongue_smilie:

I've lost about 1.3 pounds per week, but that includes a four month long (!) stall. I also had some port issues which made getting fills difficult, so I'm still searching for the right level of restriction for me. I know people who consistently lost two or more pounds per week, and I know people who have lost significantly less. You'll see it a lot here--the band is a tool and it's only as effective as you let it be.

The band is designed to stay in forever. It's made of medical-grade materials which are designed to never rot. There are complications, such as erosion, which can warrant the removal of the band.

Plastic surgery is a very individual thing, but I think it's going to be necessary for me. I have no idea how I'll pay for it, though.

Hi there guys!

Let me introduce myself...

My name is Melanie, and am from Litchfield Park, AZ. I am 31, 5'6" and am currently 212 pounds. I joined this forum because, after YEARS of trying what seems like EVERYTHING on this planet, commiting myself to rigorous work out routines 3 days a week, walking 3 miles 4 days a week, watching what I eat, and focused every second of every day on my health, I still can't lose the weight.

The real kick in the face is that, while physicians have no problem vocalizing and labeling me as OBESE, I feel that I have no support or viable options to help myself be removed from that category. My BMI (according to online calculators) is 34.2...just shy of the required 35 BMI, IF I had some sort of Morbid disease...which I don't. I am as healthy as a horse...never even catch the flu...which to a "normal" person would be FABULOUS, but for me....well, (and trust me, I know how terrible this sounds) it's almost a curse.

I plan to pay for my surgery out of pocket, and hubby is 100% supportive.

So, the reasons for my joining this forum are as follows:

1. Did anyone on here ever find themself in the predicament I'm in? What did you do?

2. Should I meet with a Dr. to see what my options are...ie. GAIN some of the weight I HAVE lost over the years?

3. Are there any members on here who live in the Phoenix area who know of a reputable surgeon that they would recommed?

4. On average, how much did this surger cost you if you paid out of pocket??

Thanks so much!

Melanie

Hi Melanie

Mallory here, much the same weight. 208-212lbs depending on the day. 5'1 and 22 years old, and a mother, but not of three! WOW props to you! :)

Anyway i feel we are much in the same boat so to speak. I feel like i am borderline weight when it comes to the surgery. Fingers are crossed that i will be able to get financing. God i do hope so.

I have my consulatation with the sergeon i have chosen to meet first.... i was told that for the place i am having it in Washington State it will cost 17,000$ :thumbup:

But i was told that includes the surgery, the assistant for the doctor, all follow up care...... EVEN!!! complications that may happen for 2 years!! I thought that was Awesome!!! Yes 17,000$ is expensive, but i had open heart surgery 5 almost 6 years ago and i saw the bills from that, they were over a million dollars for only 1 year of treatment. I had Kaiser back then and they covered it all. so i was relieved that the surgery for lap band here was under 20,000$.

So far i have set up an appointment with my primary care doctor. to basically tell him what i am going to do and what not. get his opinion... the more opinions the better informed you will be.

when i meet with this surgeon, i plan on meeting at least two others to be sure i have a good relationship with them after all i will prolly be seeing a lot of them for a while!

Any way good luck and its nice to see someone else around closer to my weight. it will be interesting if we keep in touch and support each other in the process.

by the way if you are paying out of pocket i totally suggest eating like a horse for a few weeks and getting your weight up to 35 BMI. i would hate to go through meeting and what not only to be told" i don't do surgery below 35 BMI."

I am not self pay, but I've had concerns for those that are. Based on my experiences thus far, I would be concerned about the costs AFTER the surgery. I'm getting fills every 2 weeks while I'm trying to get to the sweet spot. I'm getting small fills (.5cc) because I never want to be overfilled again. If I was self pay, I wouldn't be able to justify the fill expense. Not sure what it costs for a fill self pay, but I see how this could get very expensive very fast, or force you to get larger fills that may get you too tight.

Also, I really think I have a leak. If I have a leak, I am hopeful that my insurance will cover the repair. If I was self pay, would I be able to afford the surgery to repair it?

I'm just trying to point out that there are a lot of expenses that come after the surgery. Personally, I was going to try to self pay if insurance hadn't covered me, but now I really don't think I would have been able to afford the aftercare.

Good luck in your journey!

Most places even with self pay it includes post op care and fills. along with complications are covered. Because you have insurance i am not surprised you thought this but i will be self pay/financing ect and when researching they told me basically its a whole package. If you go out of country i am sure you have to pay out of pocket every time for fillings but that is because you had a foreign surgeon do it. Correct me if i am wrong.

Edited by hopeformyself