Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling like a $15,000 failure!

Well, more like a $20,000 failure when you add up all I spent out of pocket for pre-op testing, but anyway...

I was banded 12/22/09 and I have only lost 12 lbs! Yes, I know typically for a month that's good, but 9 of that was in the first two weeks when I couldn't eat.

Now, I keep my calories around 1000 - 1100 a day, 2 protien shakes, 1 protien enriched snack, and 3 small meals a day so my calories are spread out through the day. I excercise 3-4 days a week 45-75 minutes and I'm just not losing. I got my first fill last Friday, but I'm still losing about the same rate as before I had surgery when I was eating more.

That in addition to trying to make good food choices is driving me crazy! I want to keep my carbs low, but I can't find truely low or no carb stuff. All the so called diet lunches like smart ones, lean pockets, etc, looking at the nutrition lable is packed with carbs and sodium (and I have high blood pressure!) and it's just really upsetting that sometimes I just don't want to eat at all and I force myself to eat something. I'm considering going back to just protien shakes just because I know those are the only things that are nutritionally safe.

Then to see people who were banded in December or even January say they've lost 30 - 40lbs since surgery, it is so disappointing for me and I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I am loggin my food and excercise, etc, not eating candy, I only drink Water, crystal light, and protien shakes. I'm getting in over 75g or protien every day. I've stopped weighing every day and committed to once a week so I won't drive myself crazy. But I still feel nuts and I don't know what else I can do!

I am getting so discouraged. I didn't even go to work today because I was so pissed at my weight. And this is exactly why I never did serious dieting before because I didn't want these head games or develop an eating disorder, but here I am...only thing I seem to be losing is my sanity and my money when I pay that Care Credit bill every month!

Don't be too hard on yourself. 12 lbs in a months is not a failure. Everyone doesn't lose weight at the same rate. Find out what works for you and stick with it.

Good luck

I felt exactly like you do, right about the same time after surgery. I was self pay too. I started thinking, oh no, here we go again, another failed diet but instead of $200 its $10,200! I was still starving all the time and as a matter of fact after I started on solids I started to gain weight. Then I got my first fill and had some restriction and started to lose slowly. Then I had my second fill 3 weeks later and I have alot of restriction. It now takes forever for me to eat, I dont get hungry, I force myself to eat enough to get my Protein and I have lost 13 lbs in 6 weeks, that is 2 lbs a week or 104 lbs a year. It will be the same with you, as a matter of fact it will be better for you because you are exercising, I should be but I am not. All you need is a fill, until then it was like I didnt even have the band. Dont give up.

OK - You have got to snap out of the poor me funk you are in. I was self pay, banded on 12/30 & I have lost about 12 lbs since surgery. We are in the same boat. 12 lbs is great in a month. Think back to preband - Did you ever lose 12lbs in a month? Probably not..... This is a lifetime journey. *Remember slow & steady wins the race. Don't beat yourself. Keep exercising & try to make wiser food choices. This isn't a ""diet". This is the rest of your life. You really sound like you are on the right track. BE PROUD OF YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS!!!

I can see from your stats that you'd lost quite a lot before you had your surgery; I had, too. You didn't have Water weight to lose after, it's all real weight. So yeah, we lose slower. You're doing all the right things - don't give up on the band after only a month! I do understand the frustration, though.

I've seen some people try and vary their calorie intake from day to day, down to 800 cals one day up to 1200 another. It keeps the body guessing a bit. And maybe try making your own meals from real food instead of eating the Lean Cuisines - I ate tons of them while on WW but haven't touched one since for the reasons you described.

Hang in there!

It is very common to feel the way you're feeling. You don't have true restriction yet. Yet, being the key word here. I am in the same boat as you. I was banded on Dec. 16th and have had one fill and lost only 12.5 lbs. since surgery. I went to a support group meeting mad as hell and there I met many people who have restriction and I met people who have lost the weight. This help me tremendously. All said that this period is very hard for us. Don't give up. Don't despair. Restriciton is just around the corner.

I was banded on Nov 17, 2009 and have lost 14 pounds. I started with a BMI of 38. I had already been doing WW for several months- so to me this way of eating is not much different than what I was doing before. My doc said to really focus on not eating any thing bigger that a WW/Lean Cuisine meal- and to really focus on the Protein first. I have been doing that and it is at a snails pace for me. My friend had it done a week after me and is just zooming in the weight loss- kind of makes me feel bad- but I am happy she is loosing. Just make those positive changes and start exercising more. I can't wait until my next fill and hopefully have restriction like everyone talks about. It will be my 3rd one.

Good luck.

The band is not a magic fix--its a tool. I felt the same way you do...until I gave myself a reality check. We didn't have the gastric bypass. Now--I'm 14 months out and 70 pounds down. I feel fabulous about where I am now. It took me 6 MONTHS to lose 30 pounds. And I didn't even have to do a pre-diet! You are doing great. Sometimes the boards help, but sometimes they will get you down on yourself when you find yourself comparing yourself to everyone else. I had to stay away for awhile! Remember the average is only 60 percent in the first 2 years. Give yourself a chance. It does work, you have to be patient and realize that why you chose this--

I'll have to find my post from a year ago when I felt this exact way...

Good luck and keep your head up!

Crystal

I was told from the beginning not to expect more than one pound a week. My loss has been much like yours but I started in September. It is imperative that you start thinking positive. It will not only make you happier, it will increase your weight loss too. Remember one pound a week is normal and others who are losing more are only just different people who are either heavier, or are losing more Water than you are right now. Hugs!!

I have had my bad days too. My nieghbor had the band and instantly started losing but I have struggled with just 12lbs. I know its only been a short time so I have to tell myself it is ok. I go for my first fill 2/9 so hopefully it will help. Hang in there.

As others have said...don't be so hard on yourself. The period between the surgery and the first fill is the time in which your body is recovering from the surgery and the band is settling in. You aren't supposed to be worrying about losing weight at that time. I know, that it is hard not to.

I was banded 6 months ago and am just now down 45 pounds. A friend who was banded in October has lost the same amount of weight. That kind of bummed me out, but then I realized that I was really glad for him because he has some major health issues. I then reminded myself that he was also a lot heavier than me and was losing a lot of Water weight at first.

My surgeon does not want me losing less than a pound or more than 3 pounds in a week. I had a fill last week that brought me up to 6cc's in a 10cc band and I am getting some major restriction for the first time in 6 months.

So please don't get upset with yourself. Give yourself a hug because you have been brave enough to find help that you need. Give the band a chance to help you finish the weight loss that you have started. It will happen!!!:)

Thanks so much, you guys. The encouragement is very much appreciated and I needed that. It's just such a terrible mind game for me at this point and it's making me over analyze everything. I guess I just need to get out of my head and get over it and stop comparing myself to others! Go with the flow I suppose!

Thank you again...tomorrow's a new day for me to get my head right! Good luck to us all!

I was banded in October and I've lost NOTHING. I paid $18K. So if you're a failure, I'm an even bigger one. The stress of such a massive debt load is killing me and I'm worried about paying for utilities and cat food.

Probably a year from now I will look back and wonder why I was ever worried, and you will too.

I was banded in October and I've lost NOTHING. I paid $18K. So if you're a failure, I'm an even bigger one. The stress of such a massive debt load is killing me and I'm worried about paying for utilities and cat food.

Probably a year from now I will look back and wonder why I was ever worried, and you will too.

You haven't said why you haven't lost weight. Either you have not used the band properly or you are not eating enough and are in Famine mode. You can get yourself going again. Find out the reason and go after it. You can do it!!!

Still no restriction. I've had a few stuck incidents so I know I'm getting there, but I can still eat 2 cups of food easily and not feel full. Plus I am disabled so my ability to exercise is limited. Some days I can do stuff, some days I fall down on the floor. C'est la vie, n'est pas?